Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tablet
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
This medicine belongs to the biguanide (antidiabetic) group of medicines that are used to treat diabetes mellitus and reduce blood sugar levels. The generic name of this medicine is metformin.
Uses of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab is utilised for treating and controlling type 2 diabetes mellitus (non-insulin-dependent diabetes) in the condition when exercise and strict diet are ineffective in controlling the blood sugar levels.
Contraindications of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Liver or kidney diseases (severe)
- Heart failures
- Severe respiratory diseases
- Excessive drinking of alcohol
- Allergic to this medicine or other biguanides
- Severe lung or kidneys infection. Infections can increase the risk for lactic acidosis
Side effects of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and mild diarrhoea.
- Altered taste sensations
- Decreased vitamin B12 levels
- Skin rashes, redness, itching and hives
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness and rapid breathing
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)
- Abnormal liver function tests and hepatitis
- Jaundice (characterised by yellow colouring of skin and eyes)
Precautions and Warnings of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
Can I take Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab during pregnancy?
Your doctor will mostly not prescribe this medicine to you in pregnancy as insulin is the most favoured among all other oral diabetic medications. Do not use this medicine in pregnancy without a doctor’s advice.
Can I take Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab while breastfeeding?
It is known to pass into mother’s milk and cause perilous effects in the baby. So it should be not taken in breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
Side effects like fainting, confusion and increased sweating can arise after the administration of this medicine So in this case, you should take extra care during driving. Carry juice or chocolate bars with you if there is an extreme need to drive. Or else, kindly avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with this medicine?
Avoid excessive intake of alcohol while taking this medicine as alcohol lowers blood sugar levels and, also, increases the risk of serious condition called lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have severe heart, liver or kidney conditions
- You suffer from dehydration frequently
- You are suffering from type I diabetes mellitus
- You experience vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps, difficulty in breathing, reduced body temperature and heartbeat after taking this medicine
Mode of Action of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
How Does It Work?
Insulin is secreted by pancreas. Insulin drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter inside the cell. Then, this glucose is utilized as energy by the cell. In individuals with diabetes mellitus, the pancreas either do not make enough insulin or your body is unable to properly use the insulin produced by it (insulin resistance). As a result, glucose is not able to enter into the cells and this leads to a high level of glucose in the blood stream. The composition of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestines, further lowering the amount of sugar created by the liver and, thereby, facilitating the smooth entry of sugar into the cells.
Directions for Use of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
The dosage of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab must be taken in same quantity directed by the doctor.
Interactions of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
- Diet pills or medicines to treat asthma, colds or allergies
- Heart or blood pressure medications
- Steroids (prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone)
- Thyroid medicines
- Medicines like furosemide and cimetidine
- If you need to have an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for X-ray or scan, the doctor may instruct you to stop taking this medicine before or at the time of injectionread less
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for a long term, combination of those medicines and this medicine can damage your kidneysread less
Interactions with food items
Absorption of vitamin B12 appears to be reduced during the long-term treatment with this medicine. Annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and red blood cell parameters has been recommended to determine the need for vitamin B12 injections.
Other general Interactions
Individuals with liver, heart and kidney conditions and type I diabetes mellitus must not take up this medication. Also, individuals addicted to alcohol should also avoid its medication.
Storage and disposal of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
This medicine needs to be stored at a cool and dry place (ambient room temperature) far from light, moisture and heat. Standard waste management techniques must be followed in the efficient disposal of this medicine.
Dosage of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab
You must seek immediate emergency medical care if you suspect overdose. An overdose of Gluconorm Sr 850mg Tab can cause lactic acidosis, symptoms of which are vomiting, stomachache, muscle cramps and difficulty in breathing.
Missed a Dose
If you miss the administration of this medicine, you must take it as soon as you recall it with food. However, if it is time for missed dose, then skip the missed dose and follow your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Should I follow diabetic diet while on this medicine?
A: It would be beneficial to follow a diabetic diet as instructed by your doctor or dietician. This medicine works best in combination with good diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Q: Does this medicine cause weight loss?
A: Yes, this medicine is known to cause weight loss. For other side effects, kindly consult your doctor.
Q: What food should be avoided in case of diabetes?
- Fruit flavoured yogurt
- Sweetened breakfast cereals
- Sugar-sweetened beverages
- Trans fats
- White bread
- Flavoured coffee drinks
- Honey and maple syrup
Q: Can this medicine cause hair loss?
A: Yes, this medicine is known to cause a loss of hair
Q: Can I stop this medicine if I feel better?
A: This medicine must not be stopped immediately without consulting a doctor. This medicine needs to be reduced slowly with the consultation from the doctor.
- Diabetes.co.uk. Metformin.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). Package leaflet: information for the user. Diagemet XL 500mg prolonged release tablets.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Metformin
- Misbin, RI. The phantom of lactic acidosis due to metformin in patients with diabetes. 2004.
- Label: Metformin HCL – metformin HCL tablet.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem. Metformin.
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 10:46 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved