Gabantin 100mg Capsule
By SUN PHARMA
10 Capsule(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Gabantin Capsule contains Gabapentin as its active moiety, mainly used along with other medicines to help control certain types of seizures (fits) and also provide relief from the pain associated with neuropathic due to various conditions such as diabetes neuropathy (diabetes complication). Gabapentin in this medicine acts by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain and changing the way the body senses pain signals. This medicine should not be used in children below 18 years of age. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor for the prescribed duration. Sudden stopping of this medicine results in withdrawal symptoms such as fits, irregular heartbeats. Your doctor will gradually reduce the dose of this medicine. In case, you experience any side effects with this medicine, contact your doctor or visit a nearby hospital or clinic.
Uses of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
- Gabantin Capsule is used for the treatment of neuropathic pain, a condition of an abnormal painful sensation in different body parts due to damage in a part of the brain responsible for sensing the external stimuli.read less
- As an adjuvant with other medicines for the treatment of partial seizures in adults.
Contraindications of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
If you are allergic to Gabapentin or any other ingredients of Gabantin Capsule.
Side effects of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
- Viral infection
- Infection of ear, lungs, urinary tract
- Decreased white blood cells
- Increased appetite
- Confusion, abnormal thinking, nervousness
- Sleepiness, dizziness
- Visual disturbance
- Nausea, vomiting
- Difficulty in breathing
Precautions and Warnings of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
Can I take Gabantin Capsule during pregnancy?
It is advised not to take Gabantin Capsule during pregnancy as it can interfere with the growth and development of the brain and other body parts of the foetus. Your doctor may give you this medicine only if the benefits and need are higher than the risks associated with its use.
Can I take Gabantin Capsule while breastfeeding?
- It is recommended not to breastfeed while on Gabantin Capsule as it may harm the newborn baby.
- Your doctor will decide whether to discontinue breastfeeding or this medicine after accessing the benefits and needs.
Can I drive if I have consumed Gabantin Capsule?
You may experience dizziness, drowsiness or sometimes low mood after taking Gabantin Capsule. Avoid driving or operating machinery, especially during the initial days of treatment.
Can I consume alcohol with Gabantin Capsule?
It is advised not to consume alcohol during treatment with Gabantin Capsule. It may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience behavioural change and have suicidal thoughts after taking this medicine.
- You have heart, kidney, liver, brain or breathing disorders.
- You develop stomach pain and discomforts after taking this medicine, seek medical help as it can be a sign of pancreatitis.
- You are elderly, the risk of getting side effects are more.
- You experience severe allergic reactions like breathing difficulties, swelling and low blood pressure, immediately inform your doctor.
- Gabantin Capsule should not be stopped as it may lead to side effects like fits and other mental disturbances.
- Gabantin Capsule can cause dependence and abuse, talk to your doctor if you have a history of drug abuse.
- Gabantin Capsule should not be used in children below 18 years of age.
Mode of Action of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
How Does It Work?
The exact mechanism of action of gabapentin is uncertain. Yet, according to the anticipated mechanism gabapentin acts on specific receptors in the brain and reduces the release of chemicals responsible for the sensation of pain. It produces anti-seizure action by reducing the release of neurotransmitters responsible for the generation of seizures.
Directions for Use of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
- Take Gabantin Capsule as a whole with a sufficient amount of water.
- This medicine can be taken with or without meals.
Interactions of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
Interactions with other medicines
- You may experience drowsiness if you are taking medicines like Morphine, you may require a lower dose of this medicine, talk to your doctor.
- You may experience breathing difficulties if you are taking medicines called opioids such as fentanyl, hydrocodone and methadone.
- If you are taking medicines to treat seizures, fits, anxiety, depression or other neurological problems.
- Antacids containing aluminium and magnesium should be taken with a minimum gap of two hours after consumption of this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
- Store Gabantin Capsule below 30°C protected from light.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Gabantin 100mg Capsule
Symptoms of an overdose include double vision, slurred speech, drowsiness, laziness or sometimes diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if you experience any such symptoms or reach out to your nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is neuropathic pain? How can I differentiate it from muscle pain?
A: Neuropathic pain occurs due to damage or injury of the nerves responsible for transferring information to the brain and the spinal cord from the skin, muscles and other body parts. It is spontaneous in origin and occurs in the absence of any injury or trauma. Typically the pain feels like burning, stabbing and shooting. The patient may describe it as 'pins and needles'. It is usually associated with nerve damage due to surgery or trauma, viral infections, cancer, vascular malformations and diabetes. It may also be a side effect of certain medications.
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before using Gabantin Capsule?
- When you are taking this medicine, it is advised to use contraception to avoid pregnancy.
- Components of this medicine can cause dependence and you are advised to be cautious if you are taking this medicine for a long period.
- Gabantin Capsule should not be stopped suddenly and a gradual reduction of the dose is advisable to avoid side effects like fits and other mental problems.
Q: Why is Gabantin Capsule used after surgery?
A: Gabantin Capsule is used to provide relief from neuropathic pain felt post-surgery.
Q: Will Gabantin Capsule help me with sleep?
A: Gabantin Capsule is not used primarily to treat sleeping disorders. However, Gabapentin has the most common side effects as sleepiness, dizziness. Thus, you may feel sleepy while taking this medicine.
Last Updated on: 03 Apr 2021 | 10:51 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Upto Rs.300 Cashback on ICICI Debit & Credit cards.
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved