By ALPHA LAB
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
7 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Altrim Tablet Description
Altrim Tablet is an antibiotic medicine. It is used to treat various bacterial infections like ear, lung, airway, throat, urinary tract, skin infections, etc. Altrim contains a combination of trimeth
oprim and sulfamethoxazole as its active ingredients. This medicine acts by limiting the spread of infection by inhibiting the growth of bacteria. Do not miss any doses or stop taking this medicine on your own. You must complete the course of antibiotics, discontinuing the treatment on your own, leads to antibiotic resistance and the recurrence of infection makes this medicine less effective for future infections. It is advised to take the Altrim with or after meals.
|You Save||₹0.22 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Sulfamethoxazole(400.0 Mg) + Trimethoprim(80.0 Mg)|
|Side effects||Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, headache|
Check more medicines with composition as Sulfamethoxazole(400.0 Mg) + Trimethoprim(80.0 Mg)
Uses of Altrim Tablet
Altrim Tablet is used to treat bacterial infections like ear infection, skin and soft tissue infection, urinary tract infections, lung, airway and throat infections.
Contraindications of Altrim Tablet
- If you are allergic to trimethoprim, sulfamethoxazole or any other ingredients of Altrim Tablet.
- If you are suffering from any severe liver or kidney problems.
- If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- If you are suffering from any blood disorders (like anaemia, etc.).
Side effects of Altrim Tablet
- Skin rash
- Fungal infections
- Increase in potassium levels
Precautions and Warnings of Altrim Tablet
Can I take Altrim Tablet during pregnancy?
Altrim Tablet must not be used during pregnancy especially during first trimester. Please consult your doctor if you are pregnant, think you may be or are planning a pregnancy.
Can I take Altrim Tablet while breastfeeding?
Components of Altrim Tablet passes into breastmilk. Thus, you should consult your doctor before using this medicine while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Altrim Tablet?
There is limited information about the effects of Altrim Tablet on driving. However, if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert, you should avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Altrim Tablet?
There is no known interaction with alcohol and Altrim Tablet. However, it is essential to consult your physician if you have a habit of regular drinking.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from severe allergies or asthma.
- You have problems related to your kidneys.
- You have a folic acid deficiency.
- You are malnourished or underweight.
- You are above 60 years of age.
- You are taking potassium supplements.
- You have a rare disorder called porphyria.
- You have a blood enzyme deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency).
- You are suffering from any blood disorder. Your doctor may ask you to do regular blood tests if you need long-term treatment or are prone to anaemia.
Mode of Action of Altrim Tablet
How Does It Work?
Altrim Tablet works by the combined effects of both its components - trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Both are antibiotics and together work by inhibiting the synthesis of essential constituents required for the survival of bacteria and this results in the killing of bacteria....
Directions for Use of Altrim Tablet
Altrim Tablet should be taken as directed by the doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water, with or after having your meals. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by the doctor....
Interactions of Altrim Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Altrim Tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time. Altrim Tablets may interact with other medicines. Discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled....
- Concomitant use of the Altrim Tablet along with ciclosporin used for rheumatoid arthritis may cause kidney problems.
- Medicines like procainamide used for irregular heartbeats when taken with this medicine can interfere with the action of this tablet.
- Concomitant use along with blood thinners like warfarin, coumarins may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Using medicines like azathioprine and mercaptopurine used for rheumatoid arthritis with this medicine can affect the bone marrow and blood cells.
- Altrim Tablet can enhance the effect of some antidiabetic medications such as repaglinide, decreasing your blood sugar levels abruptly.
Interactions with food items
Altrim Tablet should be taken with or after your meal to avoid any stomach discomfort.
Storage and disposal of Altrim Tablet
- Store Altrim Tablet in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Altrim Tablet
Symptoms of overdose are nausea, vomiting, dizziness and confusion. If you think you have taken too much of Altrim Tablet, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
In case you’ve missed any dose of Altrim Tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose. Avoid taking a double dose to compensate for the missed one....
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I discontinue Altrim Tablet if I am feeling perfectly fine?
- No, Altrim Tablet is an antibiotic and has to be taken for the complete course as prescribed by your doctor.
- If you stop taking this medicine in between before completing the course of treatment, your symptoms may reoccur.
- To ensure complete and effective treatment, take medicine for the full course even if you start feeling fine midway.
Q: Can Altrim Tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
A: No, Altrim Tablet should be taken with or after having your meal to avoid any stomach discomfort.
Q: Can I take the Altrim Tablet for urinary tract infections?
A: Yes, the Altrim Tablet can be used to treat urinary tract infections. It is an antibiotic that helps to relieve bacterial infections in the lungs, urinary tract, throat, ear and soft tissues.
- Co-Trimoxazole 800mg/160mg Forte Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Co-Trimoxazole 800mg/160mg Forte Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Tripathi K. Essentials of medical pharmacology. 7th ed. Antimicrobial Drugs: 688-849.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
Expires on or After
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed