Pilocarpine is a medicine which belongs to class of cholinergic agonists and mimics the action of a hormone called acetylcholine.
Uses of Pilocarpine
Mouth dryness (xerostomia) caused after radiation therapy in cancer Sjogren’s syndrome.
Contraindications of Pilocarpine
When should one not use Pilocarpine
- Allergy to Pilocarpine
- Uncontrolled asthma
- Eye infection
- Eye inflammation
Side effects of Pilocarpine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like- fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, and throat
- Irregular breathing or heartbeats, headache, chest pain, shaking, and vomiting
- Increased tears or perspiration
- Vision changes- blurred vision
- Increased urination
- Runny nose
Precautions and Warnings of Pilocarpine
Can I take Pilocarpine during pregnancy?
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning for pregnancy. It is unknown whether it harms the unborn baby. Hence a doctor’s discretion is necessary before you start this drug.
Can I take Pilocarpine while breastfeeding?
- It is unknown if this medicine can pass into breast milk and harm the child. Do not breastfeed while you are on Pilocarpine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Pilocarpine?
Pilocarpine may cause blurring of vision. Do not drive while you are taking Pilocarpine.
Can I consume alcohol with Pilocarpine?
Pilocarpine may cause blurred vision as a side effect. This side effect may worsen with alcohol. Do not drink alcohol while you are on this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Lung problems (e.g., asthma, chronic bronchitis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Heart problems (e.g., heart failure, irregular pulse)
- Gallbladder problems (e.g., gallstones)
- Stomach problems (e.g., ulcers)
- Liver problems (e.g., impaired liver function)
- Nervous system problems/ mental problems
- Kidney problems (e.g., renal insufficiency or kidney stones)
- Eye problems (e.g., narrow-angle glaucoma)
Mode of Action of Pilocarpine
How Does It Work?
Pilocarpine acts by increasing the secretion of saliva in the mouth from the salivary glands, thereby reducing mouth dryness.
Interactions of Pilocarpine
Interactions with other medicines
- Beta-blockers (Atenolol, Metoprolol). These may increase the heart-related side effects when taken along with Pilocarpine
- Anticholinergic agents (Ipratropium, Atropine). These decrease the efficacy of Pilocarpine
- Parasympathetic agents (Bethanechol). These increase the side effects of Pilocarpine
Interactions with food items
This medicine has interactions with alcohol.
Dosage of Pilocarpine
Excess Pilocarpine ingestion may cause tremors, head pain, change in blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, breathing difficulty, confusion, vision changes, diarrhea, vomiting. Seek emergency medical attention immediately if you overdose.
Missed a Dose
Take medicine as soon as you remember. If the missed dose falls at the time of your next scheduled dose, then skip it. Do not take an extra dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Pilocarpine?
- You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any diseases of the heart, lungs, kidney, liver, and gallbladder
- If you suffer from allergy of any kind
- If you have any psychiatric condition
- If you suffer from retinal detachment or an eye infection
- Pilocarpine can interact with other drugs hence inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, supplements, or herbs. Also, tell your physician if you are stopping any medication
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- You must take medicine precisely the way it is prescribed by the physician. Follow the instructions mentioned on the prescription label
- Do not alter the dose unless recommended by your doctor
- Do not take it longer or shorter than advised
- The medicine can be taken with or without food
- Drink more fluids when you are on pilocarpine treatment
- It may take about 12 weeks for the drug to act
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
PharmEasy Health Report: How COVID-19 Has Changed India?
The PharmEasy Health Report for FY 2020-21 provides information on the key trends with respect to people’s health during the COVID-19 pandemic. The need to stay healthy is now important more than ever! Here’s how people have been taking care of themselves and changed their daily habits to lower health risks and adapt to the
Why Is There A Rise in COVID-19 Cases Amidst The Vaccination Drive?
Right when India was starting to smell victory against the deadly COVID-19 disease, the virus has struck back with a new strain, which in a way has derailed the ambitious vaccination drive of the Indian government. The virus has restarted spreading its wings across India, and this time, the victims and culprits (spreaders of the
What Is So Dangerous About The Second Wave Of COVID-19?
The number of active cases of COVID-19 has been steadily reducing since late September 2020 and it was then that most public places, schools, colleges, and offices began opening their doors for regular operation. Despite this, COVID protocols were being maintained with the utmost scrutiny in all such public places. As of February 2021, more
The Latest COVID-19 News That You Must Know!
The steadily rising numbers of COVID-19 cases throughout the country has become a cause of concern for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Although this rise in daily cases has not been consistent throughout the country, certain states like Maharashtra, Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Karnataka have experienced a massive spike in numbers.
Make This Holi COVID-Proof!
We have already been missing out on so much due to the pandemic! Events across the world have been canceled, gatherings are best avoided and social distancing is the new thing. As the vaccination process began, people seem to have allowed themselves to become careless and ditch the mask once in a while. Owing to
7 Important Tips To Strengthen Your Immune System
The environment we live in is inhabited with trillions of germs. We all are vulnerable to getting attacked with the deadly virus or bacteria, but if you noticed few of us remain healthy and do not get affected by the viruses like coronavirus for today’s time!Why is it so? Well, that’s the immune system that
6 Unknown Benefits Of Mango Leaves
Mango leaves?Many people have raised their eyebrows by reading this. As we all are huge fans of mango fruit, we can eat mangoes at any time. But did you ever thought about eating mango leaves? No..!! We Indians only know the one use of mango leaves that too on a festive day or auspicious day.
Lockdown 2021: What You Need To Know About The New Measures
The second phase of the vaccine drive against COVID-19 has already begun in India earlier this month. This phase is set to cover more than 10 crore people across the nation who are above the age of 60 years. The second phase also includes vaccinating people aged more than 45 years who are living with
6 Unknown Benefits Of Amazing Horse Grams
We know all kinds of grams like black gram, red gram, but we are unaware of a gram that is more nutritious than others. That’s horse gram!! Horse gram called Macrotyloma uniflorum has been around since the early ages – as early as 2000 BC! It was grown in Africa and Asia. Commonly it is
Six Popular Hair Myths You Need To Stop Believing In
Are you often in a dilemma of what to believe or do and what not when it comes to your hair? Have you brushed your hair more frequently to make it look healthier? Or avoid plucking your grey hair, so multiple do not pop up? We may hear many such myths related to hair care
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Pilocarpine
CARPINOL AMPOULE OF 1ML EYE DROPS
By SUNWAYS (INDIA) PVT LTD
1ml Eye Drop in Ampoule
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved