Ofloxacin is an antibiotic that fights various bacterial infections.
Uses of Ofloxacin
- Urinary tract infection
- Skin infections
- Infection of stomach and intestine
- Respiratory infections
- Male and female genital organs infections
- Infection due to micro organism called chlamydia or gonorrhea
Contraindications of Ofloxacin
When should one not use Ofloxacin
- If you are allergic to ofloxacin or other medicines similar to it like ofloxacin or norfloxacin. Allergic reaction include rash, difficulty in breathing , swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- If you have epilepsy or fits
- If you have problems related to tendon like inflammation and swelling of the tendons (tendonitis)
- If you are pregnant or are planning to have a baby or breastfeeding
- If your age is less than 18 years
- If you have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (an inherited disorder that affects red blood cells) or a family history of this deficiency
Side effects of Ofloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like- fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, throat-immediately see your doctor
- Serious permanent tendon and nerve damage which may manifest as pain, numbness, tingling, weakness, burning, altered sensations, tremors, snapping or popping sound in your joints
- Signs of increased pressure in the skull- vision changes, pain behind your eyes, ringing in your ears, headache. Liver problem- Diarrhea, nausea, upper abdominal pain, yellow discoloration of eyes, nails, skin, dark urine, clay colored stoolread less
- Fainting, slow or fast breathing, fast heart beats, headache, and chest pain
- Mucus or bloody diarrhea, with stomach cramps or pain. (Do not take any anti diarrhea drug to stop this. Inform your doctor immediately)
- Sore skin, easy bruising, bleeding, sunburn, purple rash on skin causing ulceration and bleeding
- Altered mood, behavioral changes, depression, hallucination, paranoia, tremors, insomnia, and nightmares.
Precautions and Warnings of Ofloxacin
Can I take Ofloxacin during pregnancy?
Do not take ofloxacin if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby. If you conceive while taking ofloxacin, stop taking it immediately and inform your doctor.
Can I take Ofloxacin while breastfeeding?
- Ofloxacin can pass into the breast milk and harm the child. Hence do not breast feed while you are on this medicine treatment.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ofloxacin?
You may have sleepiness or dizziness when you are taking ofloxacin. In such a case, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Ofloxacin?
You should not drink alcohol while taking ofloxacin as you may feel dizzy or sleepy.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Mental illness
- Lliver or kidney disease
- Myasthenia gravis-illness with excessive muscle weakness
- You are diabetic or suffer from low blood sugar
- Heart problems
- You have to be cautious while taking ofloxacin if you have
- You have or your family history is positive for prolonged QT interval (seen on ECG)
- Have salt imbalance in the blood
- Have a very slow heart rhythm (called ‘bradycardia’), have a weak heart (heart failure)
- Have a history of heart attack (myocardial infarction), you are female or elderly or you are taking other medicines that result in abnormal ECG changes (see section on interactions with other medicines).read less
- If your eyesight becomes impaired consult an eye specialist immediately.
- If you experience a skin rash or allergic reaction, or
- have severe diarrhoea, (which may be bloody) with stomach pain and fever, or
- notice pain, tenderness, or restricted movement of the tendons, or
- notice numbness or tingling in the hands and feet.
Mode of Action of Ofloxacin
How Does It Work?
Ofloxacin belongs to the group of fluoroquinolones. It prevents bacterial growth. It does not help in viral infections.
Interactions of Ofloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor if you are taking the following medicine:
- Antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, gemifloxacin, norfloxacin, moxifloxacin ( more chances of side effects)
- Heart rhythm drugs- amiodarone, quinidine, sotalol etc
- Blood thinners- warfarin, jantoven,Coumadin
- NSAIDs- diclofenac, indomethacin, aspirin, naproxen etc
- Medicines used to treat depression and psychological conditions
- Products that contain calcium, aluminium, zinc, magnesium
Interactions with food items
It has interactions with dairy products. Take the drug two hours prior or after any dairy product.
Dosage of Ofloxacin
Call your doctor immediately if you overdose. Overdose may cause extreme dizziness, confusion or fits.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If the missed dose falls at the time of you next scheduled dose then skip it. Do not take an extra dose more than prescribe to make up for it. Avoid skipping doses as this may increase you risk of developing infection that may be resistant to antibiotics. Complete the course of antibiotic for as many days as prescribed by your physician.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Q1. What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ofloxacin?
- You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any heart, kidney, liver diseases
- If you have myasthenia gravis
- If you suffer from diabetes
- If you have any joint, muscle, tendon problem
- If you have any nerve disorder( peripheral neuropathy)
- If you are taking any blood thinners (warfarin or coumarin)
- If you have history of convulsions
- If there is a family history or personal history of long QT syndrome
- Heart rhythm disorders or slow heartbeats
- Low level of potassium in the blood
- If you have an allergy to ofloxicin or any other drug
- Ofloxacin can interact with other drugs hence inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines especially supplements or herbs. Also inform your physician if you are stopping any medicine.
Q: Q2. What should I remember while taking ofloxacin?
- Do not take any medicine to stop the diarrhea if you develop watery or bloody diarrhea while taking ofloxacin. Stop the medicine and inform your doctor immediately.
- Avoid going out in the sun. Wear a protective covering or use a sunscreen (SPF 30 or 40) to prevent sunburn. Inform your doctor if you experience redness, itching, rash, swelling after exposure to sun.read less
- Avoid activities like driving, using heavy machineries while you are taking this drug as it can make you feel dizzy.
- Avoid taking the following drugs two hours before or after ofloxacin: didanosine, supplements and antacids that contain calcium, aluminium, iron, zinc, magnesium, milk of magnesia, ulcer medicine sucralfate etc.read less
- Avoid live vaccines (like typhoid vaccine) as their effectiveness may be hampered.
Q: Q3. When and how to consume the medicine?
- You must take the medicine exactly the way it is prescribed by the physician. Follow the instructions of your doctor and those mentioned on the prescription label.
- Do not alter the dose unless recommended by your doctor. Do not take it longer or shorter than advised. Using the drug when not required or if stopped unless advised can make the infection resistant to the antibiotic.read less
- Take the medicine with or without food as advised by you physician
- Maintain the time interval between two doses
- Drink plenty of fluids while you are taking this drug unless advised otherwise by your physician
- For better efficacy take the drug two hours before or after dairy products and those drugs or supplements that make it less effective.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
7 days agoProtinex Tasty Chocolate Provides 34% Higher Immuno-Boosters That Can Help Build Immunity!
Reading Time: 2 minutes The easiest way to ward off most illnesses is to maintain excellent health and strong immunity. Consume Protinex Tasty Chocolate every day to give you...
22 Oct 2020LivEasy Foods Seed Mix: Munch Your Way To Good Health!
Reading Time: 3 minutes A nutritional gap can take a heavy toll on your health! Your body derives strength and the ability to function from the nutrition you take in with you...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Ofloxacin
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved