Latanoprost is used to reduce the elevated fluid pressure in the eye (in conditions like glaucoma) and belongs to a group of medicines ‘Prostaglandin Analogs’. It is available in the form of eye drops.
Uses of Latanoprost
It is used in the treatment for conditions where the fluid pressure in the eye is increased (ocular hypertension) and situations where the eye pressure is raised due to a milder form of outflow obstruction of the nourishing fluid in the eye (open-angle glaucoma).
Contraindications of Latanoprost
When should one not use Latanoprost
Allergy to Latanoprost or any of its ingredients.
Side effects of Latanoprost
Common side effects of this drug are:
- A gradual change in the color of the eye, especially if you have mixed color eyes (blue-brown, green-brown, grey-brown, etc.)
- The color change may be permanent and more prominent if you use in only one eye, but is associated with long term treatment (close to a year)
- Redness, irritation, itching, burning or stinging sensation of the eye
- Increase in color, thickness, length, and number of eyelashes (mainly in Japanese people)
- Pain in the eyes, sensitivity to light, infections of the eye lids (blepharitis) and covering of the eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Dryness of the eye, blurred vision, irritation of the surface of the eye (keratitis) or the colored part of the eye (uveitis), swelling of innermost sensitive layer of the eye or the retina (macular edema), skin rashes, chest pain, muscle and joint pains, feeling dizzy, headache, heavy heartbeats (palpitations), asthma and breathing difficultyread less
Precautions and Warnings of Latanoprost
Can I take Latanoprost during pregnancy?
Due to the lack of enough data, It is recommended to avoid Latanoprost in pregnant women.
Can I take Latanoprost while breastfeeding?
Latanoprost has the potential to be secreted in breast milk and is advised not to use this medicine during breastfeeding to prevent any harm to the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Latanoprost?
Using Latanoprost can cause eye problems, including blurred vision. Do not drive if you experience any such symptoms, and until they are resolved.
Can I consume alcohol with Latanoprost?
Alcohol may cause the pressure in the eye to elevate and hence can only be taken in low amounts (occasionally).
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You had history or planning eye surgery
- You experience dry eyes, irritation, and pain of the eyes, blurred vision
- You have asthma or a viral infection of the eye (caused by herpes simplex virus)
- You are wearing contact lenses
Mode of Action of Latanoprost
How Does It Work?
A cleary watery fluid is produced continuously in the eye that nourishes it. Any condition that blocks the outflow of this fluid will cause elevated pressure in the eye. Latanoprost increases the discharge of this fluid from the eye and thus lowers the pressure.
Interactions of Latanoprost
Interactions with other medicines
- Other related or medicines of the same class such as Bimatoprost, Travoprost, etc. (other Prostaglandins or Prostaglandin Analogs)
- Prostaglandins are hormone-like substances naturally produced in the body whose main function is to mediate immune response, relax blood vessels (lowering fluid pressure). Their most common usage is as pain killersread less
Interactions with food items
No food interaction has been reported.
Dietary Restrictions of Latanoprost
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Latanoprost, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Latanoprost
Remember to use only one drop in the affected eye. The overuse of Latanoprost most commonly results in redness and irritation of the eye. Inform your doctor if you notice any such symptoms.
Missed a Dose
Latanoprost can be used only once in a day and preferably in the evening times; this means that it can only be taken once in 24 hours. If you missed a usage, continue with the next use as per schedule. Do not take more than one drop to compensate for the missed usage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before using Latanoprost?
- Latanoprost is usually administered as one drop in the affected eye
- This medicine cannot be used more than one time in a day, as pressure in the eye can drop below required levels
- It can be taken at any time of the day, but preferably in the evenings
- Remove any contact lenses before using the eye drops and wear them back 15 minutes later
- If you are using more than one eye drop solutions, take them at least 5 minutes apart
- Latanoprost can be used in newborns (right from birth), infants, children and adults
- Consult the doctor in case of preterm babies
- There is a chance that the color of your eyes may change with this medicine, especially if you have mixed color eyes (blue-brown, grey-brown, etc.)
Q: Is Latanoprost an effective medicine for glaucoma?
- Latanoprost is a well-tolerated and effective medicine to lower the elevated eye pressure in conditions like glaucoma
- It causes lesser side effects than other medicines of the class like Timolol and offers the convenience of using once daily
- It will take 8-12 hours for Latanoprost to show its impact, but the effect remains for 24 hours
- It is recommended to use Latanoprost under medical supervision.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved