Ethamsylate is used to treat excessive blood loss during menstruation. It is al
so used to prevent brain haemorrhage in newly born babies and to treat small vessel haemorrhages. This medicine prevents and treats bleeding from the small vessels. It reduces bleeding time and blood loss. Ethamsylate is available in the form of tablet, injection. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from before starting ethamsylate.
Uses of Ethamsylate
- Ethamsylate is used in the treatment of small vessel haemorrhage and spotting or excessive blood loss during periods.
- It is also used in preventing brain haemorrhage in newly born babies
Contraindications of Ethamsylate
When should one not use Ethamsylate
- If you are allergic to ethamsylate or similar medicines
- If you are breastfeeding
- You have an autoimmune disorder of the skin called porphyria
- If you have bronchial asthma
Side effects of Ethamsylate
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain/discomfort
- Skin rash
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Ethamsylate
Other General Warnings
- You are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding
- You have low or unstable blood pressure
Mode of Action of Ethamsylate
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Ethamsylate
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way ethamsylate works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
Dosage of Ethamsylate
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the side effects of using ethamsylate?
Q: How does ethamsylate work?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]
- Etamsylate [Internet]. Mri.cts-mrp.eu. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]
- Etamsylate: Indication, Dosage, Contraindications, Side Effect, Precaution, Adverse Reactions, Action, Storage | CIMS India [Internet]. Mims.com. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]