Cefixime+Ofloxacin is a combination medicine. It is used in adult patients to t
reat typhoid fever and urinary tract infections. Both cefixime and ofloxacin work by causing the death of the infection-causing bacteria. Cefixime+Ofloxacin is available in the form of tablet, syrup, suspension. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from before starting cefixime+ofloxacin.
Uses of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
Cefixime+Ofloxacin is used in adults for the treatment of typhoid fever and urinary tract infections.
Contraindications of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
When should one not use Cefixime+Ofloxacin
- If you are allergic to cefixime or ofloxacin
- If you are allergic to cephalosporins or similar medicines
- If you are a pregnant woman or a breastfeeding mother
- If you have a history of fits or any other brain-related disorders
- If you have a family history of red blood cell disorder
- If you have a history of tendon disorder
- Cefixime+Ofloxacin should not be given to children or growing adolescents
Side effects of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
Precautions and Warnings of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
Can I take cefixime+ofloxacin during pregnancy?
Cefixime+Ofloxacin should not be used during pregnancy or if you are planning to conceive, consult your doctor before using it.
Can I take cefixime+ofloxacin while breastfeeding?
Cefixime+Ofloxacin passes into breastmilk, thus it is not advisable to use it while breastfeeding. Consult your doctor before using it.
Can I drive if I have consumed cefixime+ofloxacin?
Cefixime+Ofloxacin may cause dizziness or confusion, thus you need to be cautious while driving.
Can I consume alcohol with cefixime+ofloxacin?
Avoid consuming alcohol with cefixime+ofloxacin, as it may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You develop allergic reactions.
- You are experiencing irregular heartbeats, low potassium levels or have had heart disease.
- You are suffering from any liver or kidney problems and you are taking medicine to prevent blood clotting.
- You are on dialysis.
- You have diabetes and are taking medicines.
- If you are having suicidal thoughts, immediately contact a doctor.
- You have blood disorders like anaemia and G6PD deficiency.
- You have diarrhoea, cramps, pain and fever after taking cefixime+ofloxacin.
- You experience problems with your vision.
- You are experiencing fits, difficulty in movement, confusion, problems with your mental health.
- You have a history of tendonitis (inflammation of the tissue that connects muscles to bone) after taking antibiotics or muscle weakness.
- You are experiencing pain, a pins-and-needles sensation, numbness and weakness in various body parts.
Mode of Action of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
How Does It Work?
Cefixime+Ofloxacin work by fighting against the infection-causing bacteria, thus preventing their growth and spread.
Interactions of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way cefixime+ofloxacin works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat your heart problems, psychiatric illnesses, asthma, diabetes, bacterial infections or are taking medicines like blood thinners, antibiotics, medicines used to reduce inflammation or medicines which can alter your heart rhythm....
Dosage of Cefixime+Ofloxacin
Symptoms of overdose include nausea, dizziness, confusion, altered consciousness, fits, irregular heartbeats. Seek urgent medical help if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed any dose of cefixime+ofloxacin, then take it as soon as you remember. If it is already time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose and follow the regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed one....
Dr. Nikita Toshi
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Are there any side effects of using cefixime+ofloxacin?
A: You may experience dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain after taking cefixime+ofloxacin.
Q: In which all dosage forms is cefixime+ofloxacin available?
A: Cefixime+Ofloxacin is available in the form of tablet, syrup, suspension.
- OMNIX O Tablets (Cefixime + Ofloxacin) [Internet]. Ciplamed.com. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]
- Ofloxacin 200 mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]
- Ofloxacin 200 mg Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 October 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.