Adapalene+Clindamycin is a combination medicine. It is used to treat acne. Both
the medicines work by inhibiting the growth of bacteria causing pimples, reducing swelling and inhibiting the formation of blemishes due to the accumulation of oil and dirt. Clindamycin belongs to a class of medications known as antibiotics and adapalene is derived from vitamin A. Adapalene+Clindamycin is available in the form of cream, ointment, gel, nanogel, soap.
Uses of Adapalene+Clindamycin
Adapalene+Clindamycin is used for the treatment & management of acne.
Contraindications of Adapalene+Clindamycin
When should one not use Adapalene+Clindamycin
- If you are allergic to clindamycin, adapalene or similar medicines
- If you have ever developed diarrhoea on the use of an antibiotic medicine
- If you have a history of inflammatory bowel disease
Side effects of Adapalene+Clindamycin
Common side effects of this drug are:
Application site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Adapalene+Clindamycin
Can I use Adapalene+Clindamycin during pregnancy?
Adapalene+Clindamycin should only be used during pregnancy if prescribed by the doctor as there is limited safety information available.
Can I use Adapalene+Clindamycin while breastfeeding?
Adapalene+Clindamycin should only be used while breastfeeding if prescribed by the doctor as there is limited safety information available.
Can I drive if I have used Adapalene+Clindamycin?
The use of Adapalene+Clindamycin may not affect your driving ability.
Can I consume alcohol with Adapalene+Clindamycin?
There are no known interactions of Adapalene+Clindamycin with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience skin reactions.
- You have a history of inflammation of the colon or antibiotic-associated diarrhoea.
- You should not use this medicine if you are prone to allergies.
- Avoid unnecessary exposure to sunlight after using this medicine.
Mode of Action of Adapalene+Clindamycin
How Does It Work?
- Clindamycin works by inhibiting the protein synthesis in the bacteria responsible for causing infection and thus inhibits the growth of infection-causing bacteria.
- Adapalene works by inhibiting the rooting of pimples inside the skin and decreasing swelling and inflammation. It also removes dead skin cells and enhances the deeper penetration of clindamycin.
Interactions of Adapalene+Clindamycin
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way adapalene+clindamycin works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, herbals you are currently taking or are using other topically applied medicines like cream, lotion and gel to avoid any possible interaction.
- Adapalene+Clindamycin should be used with caution along with blood-thinning medicines.
Dosage of Adapalene+Clindamycin
Seek urgent medical help if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed using adapalene+clindamycin, use it as soon as possible. Do not overuse it just to compensate for the missed dose.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Adapalene+Clindamycin available?
A: Adapalene+Clindamycin is available in the form of cream, ointment, gel, nanogel, soap.
Q: Does Adapalene+Clindamycin remove scars?
A: Yes, it can help in reducing the scars after acne.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 19 October 2021]
- Acnetor AD [Internet]. Torrentian.com. 2021 [cited 19 October 2021]
- Dalacin - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 October 2021]
- Differin - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 October 2021]
- Improvement in atrophic acne scars by topical adapalene [Internet]. Jaad.org. 2021 [cited 19 October 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.