Tretiva 5mg Capsule
By INTAS PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
10 Capsule(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
1 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
3 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
The composition of Tretiva 5mg Cap is isotretinoin, which is a form of vitamin A used to treat acne. Isotretinoin belongs to a group of medicine known as retinoids, which are used to treat skin problems.
Uses of Tretiva 5mg Cap
- In treating severe acne (specifically nodular acne)
- It is used in the treatment of cancer of the skin
Contraindications of Tretiva 5mg Cap
- If you are pregnant or planning pregnancy or breastfeeding or a woman of child-bearing age and not using contraception
- If you are allergic to isotretinoin
- It is not recommended for children less than 12 years
- If you have liver disease
- Have very high levels of lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) in your blood
- Have increased levels of vitamin A in your body (hypervitaminosis A)
- If you are taking tetracyclines (a type of antibiotic medicine)
Side effects of Tretiva 5mg Cap
- Chapped lips, dizziness, drowsiness, dry eyes, mouth and skin
- Dry nose that leads to nosebleeds, headache and temporary worsening of acne
- Severe allergic reactions
- Kidney problems
- Abnormal hair growth
- Bleeding, redness, or swelling of the gums
- Bone pain
- Hearing problems or ringing in the ears and vision issues
- Severe psychological disturbances including suicidal tendencies
- Stomach and pancreas problems
- Growth problems in children
Precautions and Warnings of Tretiva 5mg Cap
Can I take this medicine during pregnancy?
Do not use it if you are pregnant. This medicine is known to cause serious birth defects in the foetus. Hence, it is to be strictly avoided in a sexually active woman unless foolproof contraception methods are followed.
Can I take this medicine while breastfeeding?
You must not take isotretinoin if you are breastfeeding. The medicine is likely to pass into your milk and may harm your baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Tretiva 5mg Cap?
Always be cautious when driving at night because this medicine may affect your night vision. It can also cause drowsiness and dizziness.
Can I consume alcohol with Tretiva 5mg Cap?
It is unsafe to consume alcohol with isotretinoin. It can cause fast heartbeats, nausea, and vomiting.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you are women of child-bearing age strictly use contraception, this medicine can cause serious harm to the unborn baby
- do not plan pregnancy immediately after stopping this medicine as some amount of medicine continues to stay in the body even after stopping the treatment
- while taking this medicine, if you experience depression or aggressive tendencies or mood changes or thoughts about hurting yourself or ending your life, immediately inform your doctor
- this medicine can increase liver enzymes or blood cholesterol
- this medicine causes extreme dryness of skin. Use a moisturiser
- your skin may become sensitive to sunlight, avoid excessive sun exposure
- if you experience headache, vomiting, then stop the medicine immediately and seek emergency medical care. This can be serious
- This medicine causes extreme dryness of skin. Use a moisturiser
- your skin may become sensitive to sunlight, avoid excessive sun exposure
- if you experienced headache, vomiting, stop the medicine immediately and seek emergency medical care. This can be serious
Mode of Action of Tretiva 5mg Cap
How Does It Work?
Isotretinoin decreases the amount of oil released by the oil glands in skin and helps the skin renew itself more quickly. Isotretinoin is used for the treatment of severe nodular acne which is not responding to other treatments, including antibiotics.
Directions for Use of Tretiva 5mg Cap
- Always take this medicine as per the doctor's instructions. The medicine can be taken either once a day or in two divided doses
- Take the medicine with a meal or with a glass of milk
- Swallow the capsules whole, do not suck or chew them
Interactions of Tretiva 5mg Cap
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines like tetracycline have additive effects
- The effect of progesterone only contraceptive pills might be reduced
- Any other form of vitamin a should be avoided along with this medicine as it can cause overdose problems
- Anticonvulsant medications may decrease the effect of isotretinoin
Interactions with food items
It is advisable to take the medicine along with food as it increases heartburn if taken on an empty stomach Avoid oily and junk food for the overall effect
Other general Interactions
- Increased pressure around the brain
- For psychiatric disorders - use of this medicine might worsen the symptom of psychiatric disorder. It should be used with caution by a patient suffering from mood changes, anxiety, agitation, depression, etc.read less
- Osteoporosis - use of this medicine might cause a reduction in bone density and hence should be used with caution in a patient suffering from osteoporosis or other disorders affecting bone density
Storage and disposal of Tretiva 5mg Cap
- Keep this medicine out of children's sight and reach
- Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original container to protect from light
- Do not throw away any medicine through wastewater or household wastes. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines that are no longer used. These measures will help in protecting the environment
Dosage of Tretiva 5mg Cap
Symptoms similar to the side effects of Tretiva 5mg Cap may be seen in case of an overdosage and include dizziness, facial flushing, headache, loss of balance, stomach pain and vomiting. Immediately seek for emergency medical help.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose then skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take this medicine without prescription?
A: No, this medicine should only be taken with prescription. A new prescription is required for continuation of treatment.
Q: I was taking the medicine and realised that I am pregnant, what should I do?
A: Immediately stop taking this medicine and inform your doctor about your pregnancy. This medicine can seriously harm the unborn baby. The decision to continue or discontinue the pregnancy should be taken in consultation with your doctor as there are high chances of having a baby with defects.
Q: Is the medicine a steroid?
A: Tretiva 5mg Cap treatment alters the steroid metabolism in women having acne. The effect of isotretinoin on serum steroids and urinary steroid metabolites was investigated in seven female patients receiving the medicine for treatment of severe acne over a 16-week period.
Q: Does isotretinoin cause hair loss?
A: If you're taking isotretinoin to treat severe types of acne, you might experience thinning hair as a side effect. The hair loss is temporary and hairs should start growing back when you stop taking the medication.
Q: Does isotretinoin clear acne scars?
A: Lower dosage of Tretiva 5mg Cap can help remodel dermal collagen and reduce scar formation including acne scar as well as blackhead, whitehead, zit, cyst, and pimple. This medicine should only be used if your acne is severe, cystic or scarring or if your acne fails to respond to normal acne medication.
- eMC+. Package leaflet. Information for the patient. Isotretinoin.
- Rademaker M, et al. Isotretinoin treatment alters steroid metabolism in women with acne. 1991.
- WebMD. Isotretinoin capsule.
- electronic Medicines Compendium. SmPc. Isotretinoin 5 mg capsules.
- NCBI. Drugs and lactation database (LactMed) [Internet]. Isotretinoin
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% OFF + 20% Cashback on all medicines + Free 1-Month Grofers Smart Bachat Club Membership
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved