Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10's
By KOYE PHARMACEUTICALS PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
1 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Septran DS tablet is a higher antibiotic that is used in the treatment of many bacterial infections like pneumonia, lung, airways, urinary tract, ear and skin infections. Septran DS is a combination o
f two antibiotics, Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole. This medicine can be used by adults. It is not recommended in children under 12 years of age, pregnant and lactating mothers. The side effects include a headache, nausea, diarrhoea, skin rashes, an increase in potassium levels and the development of fungal infections. In case you experience any of the side effects or you feel any discomforts after using this medicine, contact your doctor immediately....
Uses of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
For the treatment of bacterial infections like lung, airway and throat infections, urinary tract infections, ear infection, skin and soft tissue infection
Contraindications of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
- If you are allergic to Trimethoprim or Sulfamethoxazole.
- If you have severe liver damage or jaundice.
- If you have severe kidney damage.
- If you are suffering from a condition of reduced platelets caused by antibodies produced as a response to trimethoprim and/or sulphonamides (drug induced immune thrombocytopenia).
- Should not be given to infants in the first 6 weeks of birth.
- Should not be given to pregnant women especially in the third trimester.
Side effects of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
- Fungal infections
- Increase in potassium levels
- Rashes on the skin
Precautions and Warnings of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
Can I take Septran DS tablet during pregnancy?
Septran DS tablets are not recommended during pregnancy as there are chances of getting congenital disabilities in the growing foetus.
Can I take Septran DS tablet while breastfeeding?
Septran DS tablets are not recommended while breastfeeding as it passes into the milk and the infants are at risk of developing jaundice.
Can I drive if I have consumed Septran DS tablet?
No, it is not advisable to drive after consuming Septran DS tablet as it can cause dizziness and drowsiness which interfere with driving ability.
Can I consume alcohol with Septran DS tablet?
No, it is not advisable to consume alcohol while using this medicine as side effects such as irregular heartbeats, tingly feeling, nausea and vomiting may be experienced.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience skin rash itching and allergies after taking this medicine.
- You have a history of getting severe allergic reactions like Stevens-Johnson syndrome characterised by skin rash, blisters and peeling of the skin. Discontinue the treatment immediately.
- You have a kidney-related disorder or you have asthma.
- You are an elderly patient as the risk of getting side effects are more prominent in elderly.
- You have glucose-6-phosphatase dehydrogenase deficiency which is characterised by pale skin, jaundice and tiredness.
- You have an imbalance in body fluids or blood disorder such as porphyria characterised by severe abdominal pain.
- Close monitoring of electrolyte levels is recommended if you have a risk of increased potassium and decreased sodium levels which could be due to certain medicines, age or due to some health condition....Read more
- Prolonged use of this medicine can lead to variations in blood count, a regular blood count monitoring is recommended usually.
Mode of Action of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
How Does It Work?
Septran DS tablet contains two components, Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole. Both the components are antibiotics, Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim together inhibit the synthesis of important constit
uents responsible for the sustenance of bacteria and this results in the killing of bacteria....
Directions for Use of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
Septran DS tablet should be taken with food or after food. It should be swallowed whole with a sufficient amount of liquid.
Interactions of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomittant use of Septran DS tablets and medication used to reduce blood pressure like enalapril, quinapril etc. can result in which can increase the risk of heart disorders.
- Anaesthetics like Prilocaine when used with this medicine can increase the risk of methaemoglobinaemia characterized by bluish skin.
- Medicines like Amiodarone used to treat irregular heartbeats when used with this medication can further increase the risk of heartbeat irregularity.
- Medicines like Procainamide used for irregular heartbeats, Amantadine used for Parkinson's disease when taken with this medicine can interfere with the action of Septran DS.
- This medicine can increase the blood-thinning effect of medicines like warfarin and may increase the risk of bleeding.
- This medicine can enhance the effect of some antidiabetic medications such as Glimepiride and Glipizide can decrease your blood sugar levels abruptly.
- Using Anti-malarial medicine pyrimethamine may increase the risk of anemia if taken along with Septran DS.
- Using antiviral medicines like Zidovudine with this medicine can increase the risk of blood-related disorders
- Using medicines like Azathioprine and Mercaptopurine used for Rheumatoid arthritis with this medicine can affect the bone marrow and blood cells.
- Other medicines like Chlorothiazide, Cyclosporine, Digoxin, Phenytoin, Clozapine, Rifampicin should be used cautiously.
Storage and disposal of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
- Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Septran Ds 800/160mg Tablet 10'S
The symptoms like nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, dizziness, rashes, headache, drowsiness, painful urination, swelling of the face weakness and symptoms of bone marrow depression can be noticed
in case of overdose. If you think you have taken too much of Septran DS, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital....
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of me
dicine to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I give Septran DS tablet to children?
A: No, this medicine is not recommended for use in children under 12 years of age. For children above twelve years, medicine can be given if the doctor has prescribed it.
Q: Can I consume Septran DS tablet if I am diabetic?
A: Yes, this medicine can be consumed by diabetic patients but with precautions as some anti-diabetic medicines increase the risk of lowering of blood glucose level. It is important to consult the doctor before using any medication.
Q: What are some common side effects of Septran DS tablet?
A: Common side effects of Septran DS tablet are fungal infection, feeling sick, nausea, diarrhoea and skin rashes.
Q: Can I take Septran DS tablet for pimples?
A: No, this medicine should not be used for pimples. Pimple could be due to different reasons and it is a higher antibiotic usually its use is limited for specific bacterial infection. Do not take any antibiotic without consulting your doctor.
Q: Can I give Septran DS tablet to my dog?
A: No, you should not give this medicine to your dog or any pet. The bodily structures and physiology of animals are different than humans. Please consult a veterinary doctor for appropriate treatment.
Q: Can I take Septran DS tablet for urinary tract infections?
A: Yes, Septran DS tablet is a higher antibiotic that helps to relieve bacterial infections in the lungs, urinary tract, throat, ear,and soft tissues
Q: Can I stop taking Septran DS tablet once the symptoms of my infection have reduced?
A: No, the tablet should be taken for the entire duration as prescribed by your doctor even if you have started feeling better because there is a risk of relapse of bacterial infection if the treatment is discontinued in between.
Last Updated on: 14 Apr 2021 | 10:06 AM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved