Bactrim Ds Tablet
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
1 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Bactrim DS tablet is used to treat many bacterial infections like ear, lung, airway, pneumonia, urinary tract, skin infections, etc. Bactrim DS tablet contains a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. It is an antibiotic. It is not recommended for pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers and children below 12 years of age. The side effects include headache, nausea, diarrhoea, skin rashes, increase in potassium levels and development of fungal infections. Please report to your doctor if you notice the side effects persist or worsen.
Uses of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Bactrim DS tablet is used to treat bacterial infections like ear infection, skin and soft tissue infection, urinary tract infections, lung, airway and throat infections.
Contraindications of Bactrim Ds Tablet
- If you are allergic to trimethoprim, sulfamethoxazole or any other ingredients of Bactrim DS tablet.
- If you are suffering from any severe liver or kidney problems.
- If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- If you are suffering from any blood disorders (like anaemia, etc).
Side effects of Bactrim Ds Tablet
- Skin rash
- Fungal infections
- Increase in potassium levels
Precautions and Warnings of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Can I take Bactrim DS tablet during pregnancy?
Bactrim DS tablet must not be used during pregnancy as there are chances that this medicine may cause birth defects in the unborn baby. Please consult your doctor if you are pregnant, think you may be or are planning a pregnancy.
Can I take Bactrim DS tablet while breastfeeding?
Components of Bactrim DS tablet passes into breastmilk. Thus, you should consult your doctor before using this medicine while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Bactrim DS tablet?
There is limited information about the effects of Bactrim DS tablet on driving. However, if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert, you should avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Bactrim DS tablet?
There is no known interaction with alcohol and Bactrim DS tablet. However, it is essential to consult your physician if you have a habit of regular drinking.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from any severe allergies or asthma.
- You have problems related to your kidneys.
- You have a folic acid deficiency.
- You are malnourished or underweight.
- You are above 60 years of age.
- You are taking potassium supplements.
- You have a rare disorder called porphyria.
- You have a blood enzyme deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency).
- You are suffering from any blood disorder. Your doctor may ask you to do regular blood tests if you need long-term treatment or are prone to anaemia.
Mode of Action of Bactrim Ds Tablet
How Does It Work?
Bactrim DS tablet works by the combined effects of both its components - trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Both are antibiotics and together work by inhibiting the synthesis of essential constituents required for the survival of bacteria and this results in the killing of bacteria.
Directions for Use of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Bactrim DS tablet should be taken as directed by the doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water, with or after having your meals. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by the doctor.
Interactions of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Bactrim DS tablet works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time. Bactrim DS tablet may interact with other medicines. Discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled.Read less
- Concomitant use of Bactrim DS tablet along with ciclosporin used for rheumatoid arthritis may cause kidney problems.
- Medicines like procainamide used for irregular heartbeats when taken with this medicine can interfere with the action of this tablet.
- Concomitant use along with blood thinners like warfarin, coumarins may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Using medicines like azathioprine and mercaptopurine used for rheumatoid arthritis with this medicine can affect the bone marrow and blood cells.
- Bactrim DS tablet can enhance the effect of some antidiabetic medications such as repaglinide, decreasing your blood sugar levels abruptly.
Interactions with food items
Bactrim DS tablet should be taken with or after your meal to avoid any stomach discomfort.
Storage and disposal of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Store Bactrim DS tablet in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat. Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Bactrim Ds Tablet
Symptoms of overdose are nausea, vomiting, dizziness and confusion. If you think you have taken too much of Bactrim DS tablet, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
In case you’ve missed any dose of Bactrim DS tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose. Avoid taking a double dose to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the use of Bactrim DS tablet?
A: Bactrim DS tablet is used to treat bacterial infections like ear infection, skin and soft tissue infection, urinary tract infections, lung, airway and throat infections.
Q: How to take Bactrim DS tablet?
A: Bactrim DS tablet should be taken as directed by the doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It should be taken with or after food.
Q: Can I discontinue Bactrim DS tablet if I am feeling perfectly fine?
- No, Bactrim DS tablet is an antibiotic and has to be taken for the complete course as prescribed by your doctor.
- If you stop taking this medicine in between before completing the course of treatment, your symptoms may reoccur.
- To ensure complete and effective treatment, take medicine for the full course even if you start feeling fine midway.
Q: Can Bactrim DS tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
A: No, Bactrim DS tablet should be taken with or after having your meal to avoid any stomach discomfort.
Q: Does Bactrim DS tablet cause addiction?
A: No, Bactrim DS tablet is not an addiction causing medicine. However, it should be used as per dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
Last Updated on: 06 May 2021 | 09:45 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved