Rifagut 200mg Tablet
By SUN PHARMA
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
10 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Rifagut 200 mg tablet is used to treat infectious diarrhoea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diarrhoea in adults. It is an antibiotic containing Rifaximin as its active ingredient. It works by killing the growth of bacteria that cause infectious diarrhoea. Rifagut 200 mg tablet should be used under medical prescription. It should be taken as directed by the doctor and in doses and duration as prescribed. Headache, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness are a few side effects of Rifagut 200 mg tablets. Most of which are temporary. However, if you feel the side effects persist or your condition worsens, you should contact your doctor immediately.
Uses of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
Rifagut 200 mg tablet is used in adults to treat infectious diarrhoea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diarrhoea.
Contraindications of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Rifaximin or any other ingredients of Rifagut 200 mg tablet.
- If you are suffering from any liver disease.
- If you have diarrhoea with blood.
- If you have diarrhoea along with fever.
- If you have diarrhoea that is caused due to other factors but not bacteria, for example, viral diarrhoea.
- If you have symptoms of blockage in the bowel, abdominal pain or constipation.
- If you experience allergic reactions after using medicines like rifabutin, rifapentine or rifampicin.
Side effects of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- An urgency to empty your bowels
- Abnormal test results in white blood cells
- Breathing issues
Precautions and Warnings of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
Can I take Rifagut 200 mg tablet during pregnancy?
Rifagut 200 mg tablet is not recommended during pregnancy as there is limited information about its safety in pregnant women. It is essential to consult a doctor before starting any medicine during pregnancy.
Can I take Rifagut 200 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
It is unknown if Rifaximin passes into human milk. Hence, you should not breastfeed, while taking Rifagut 200 mg tablet. Consult your doctor before using this medicine during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Rifagut 200 mg tablet?
Rifagut 200 mg tablet may cause dizziness. Thus, avoid driving if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Rifagut 200 mg tablet?
There is no known interaction with alcohol and Rifagut 200 mg tablet. However, it is essential to consult your physician if you have a habit of regularly consuming alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience symptoms like dizziness (or light-headedness), dry mouth, decreased urination, increased thirst.
- You experience severe diarrhoea while or after using Rifagut 200 mg tablet, discontinue taking the medicine immediately and contact your doctor.
- Consume enough fluids and keep yourself hydrated as diarrhoea can cause dehydration.
Mode of Action of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Rifagut 200 mg tablet slows down the bacterial growth by interfering with the mechanisms of cell growth in the bacterial cell. Thus, stopping the growth and multiplication of the infection causing microorganism. Rifagut 200 mg tablet does not get absorbed in the bloodstream and passes through the stomach and intestines. Therefore, it is primarily used to treat bacterial infections in the intestine.
Directions for Use of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
- Rifagut 200 mg tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Rifagut 200 mg tablet may interact with other medications and provide an altered response to the treatment. Notify your doctor if you are undergoing any other treatments, over-the-counter medications (that you buy without a prescription) and herbal preparations. Also, inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled.read less
- Medicines like erythromycin, warfarin, azithromycin, cyclosporine, diltiazem and anti-fungal medications might interact with Rifagut 200 mg tablet when taken simultaneously.
- Rifagut 200 mg tablet might also interact with cholera and BCG vaccines.
Interactions with food items
Avoid having grapefruit juice or the fruit itself while on treatment with Rifagut 200 mg tablet, to avoid any interaction.
Storage and disposal of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
- Store Rifagut tablets at room temperature in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture, and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Rifagut 200mg Tablet
Seek urgent medical attention if you think you have taken too much of Rifagut tablets.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of Rifagut 200 mg tablet, then take it as soon as you remember. However, if it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I do if I missed a dose of Rifagut 200 mg tablet?
A: It is suggested not to miss a dose of antibiotics like Rifagut 200 mg tablet as it can cause antibiotic resistance. As soon as you recall about the missed dose, take it. However, do not take Rifagut 200 mg tablet in excess doses to compensate for the missed dose.
Q: What food items should I avoid while on treatment with Rifagut 200 mg tablet?
A: Rifagut 200 mg tablet reacts with grapefruit. Thus, avoid consuming both grapefruit juice and the fruit itself with the medicine (before or after).
Q: Do I need to provide my medical history to the doctor?
A: Yes, provide your complete medical history to your doctor, especially of liver diseases, if any. Inform about any medications, supplements or herbal preparations you have been taking or have taken in the past.
Q: Can I take Rifagut 200 mg tablet if I have had a history of allergic reactions to other antibiotic medicines?
A: Rifagut 200 mg tablet should not be used in patients with allergic reactions to antibiotics like erythromycin and azithromycin. Inform your doctor about your allergic reaction to the medicine in detail. He might change the prescription if needed.
Q: What do I need to inform my doctor about the diarrhoea?
A: Give a detailed nature of the diarrhoea to your doctor, for example, if it is associated with fever or about the presence or absence of blood in the stools. Also, inform your doctor if you are taking any other antibiotic medications, as some antibiotics might cause diarrhoea.
Q: Can I give my son Rifagut 200 mg tablet if he is due to get the cholera vaccine next week.?
A: Rifagut 200 mg tablet might interact with certain vaccinations like cholera and BCG. Inform your doctor about the vaccination date. He might change the dosage if required.
Q: Should I continue to take the Rifagut 200 mg tablet if I experience breathing problems after taking the tablet?
A: Difficulty in breathing is one of the Rifagut 200 mg tablet side effects. Inform your doctor about your breathing difficulties. He will make a change in the prescription if needed. Do not discontinue taking medicine without your doctor's advice.
Q: Is it normal for the urine to turn reddish while taking Rifagut 200 mg tablet?
A: It is expected and normal for the urine to turn reddish while taking Rifagut 200 mg tablet.
Q: Rifagut 200 or 400, which is a better medicine to treat diarrhoea?
A: Rifagut 200 and Rifagut 400, both tablets contain Rifaximin as an active ingredient and are used to treat infectious diarrhoea. Based on the cause and severity of your infection, your doctor will prescribe you the suitable medicine. You should take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Do not self-medicate.
Last Updated on: 03 Apr 2021 | 04:31 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on all medicines + Myntra voucher worth Rs.250
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved