Prodep 60mg Capsule
Prodep 60 MG Description
Prodep Capsule is used to treat depression and manage major depressive disorders. Short-term treatment and also maintenance of symptoms of panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, eating disord
er (bulimia nervosa) are some of the other uses of Prodep capsule. This medicine has a single active ingredient, fluoxetine. It is an antidepressant medication. The mode of action of Prodep Capsule is by balancing the brain's chemical substances that slow down the overworked nervous system. It also stabilises mood and causes behaviour changes. Panic disorder, Depression and other mood and behavioural disorders affect the normal day-to-day life of a person, which lowers the quality of life. They can lead to severe psychological stress. The proper dosage of Prodep Capsule helps in relieving these symptoms. Take this medication in the exact dose prescribed by the doctor as there are few side effects of Prodep capsule such as drowsiness, fatigue, etc. Stopping this medicine suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms like cramps, sweating, vomiting, and tremors. Its dose should be slowly lowered. It is not a habit-forming medicine, but some people with a history of addiction can abuse it. Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
|Uses||Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Bulimia Nervosa, Panic Disorder with or without agoraphobia|
|Side effects||Lightheadedness, Blurred speech, Drowsiness, Fatigue, Change in sex drive, Balancing problems, Constipation, Dryness in the mouth|
Uses of Prodep 60 MG
- As per CDSCO and USFDA, Prodep Capsule is used in short term treatment and long term maintenance of
- Major Depressive Disorder (reduces mood fluctuations and improves behaviour)
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (lowers repetitive and patterned actions and thoughts)
- Bulimia Nervosa (eating disorder)
- Acute treatment of Panic Disorder, with or without agoraphobia ( fear of open space or crowds)
Contraindications of Prodep 60 MG
- If you are allergic to any ingredient of Prodep Capsule.
- If you have a history of sudden mood changes or suicidal thoughts.
- If you have used different kinds of antidepressant medicines (MAO inhibitors) in the last 14 days.
- If you are currently going through treatment with thioridazine and pimozide medications. Do not use them for at least 5 weeks until the medications are completely removed from the body. Or else these medicines can worsen the patient's condition....
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma (an eye condition). The Prodep Capsule can worsen the pressure inside the eye.
- If you are pregnant, want to get pregnant, or breastfeeding, notify your doctor.
- If you are using medicines and herbal products that can raise the serotonin levels in the body, such as antidepressants and st john’s wort. It can lead to life-threatening serotonin syndrome.
- If you have SIADH, a syndrome that lowers sodium levels in the body.
Side effects of Prodep 60 MG
- Blurred speech
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
- Change in sex drive
- Sleep-related problems
Precautions and Warnings of Prodep 60 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have breathing problems during sleep (sleep apnea).
- You have a seizure disorder and are under antiepileptic medication.
- You have a history of low blood pressure and diabetes.
- You are an elderly patient over 65 years of age. High doses of this medicine may cause serious adverse effects due to slow metabolism in elderly patients.
- You are going to have a medical or dental procedure.
- You smoke cigarettes or use tobacco products. Tobacco can decrease the effectiveness of this medicine.
- You have withdrawal symptoms like sweating, tremors, nausea, agitation, and confusion. Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. The dosage needs to be slowly tapered.
- You have been previously diagnosed with lung, kidney, or liver disease.
- You are using any vitamin, ayurvedic, herbal medicines, and supplements. Some can interfere with this medicine and can cause adverse effects.
Mode of Action of Prodep 60 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Prodep 60 MG
- Take the Prodep Capsule in the exact dosage and at the same time each day.
- Do not increase the dosage, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Take this capsule as it is with a glass of water.
- Do not try to break this capsule or chew it.
- Do not take Prodep Capsule with other medications without informing your doctor.
- If you stop taking this medication suddenly, it may lead to unwanted side effects.
Interactions of Prodep 60 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- If you have taken fluoxetine, an ingredient in this medicine, in the last five weeks, inform your doctor. It can stay in the body for a long period, and taking Prodep medicine can lead to overdose side effects....
- If you have taken MAO antidepressant medications (linezolid, selegiline, etc.) in the last 14 days, Prodep Capsule can interact to cause fatal reactions.
- Prodep Capsule can increase the risk of bleeding if you use blood thinners (warfarin) and medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
- If you are currently using antiepileptics (seizure medicines), antipsychotics, antiarrhythmics (heart medicine), Prodep Capsule can slow down the removal of these medicines and alter their effectiveness....
- If you are using any medicines that increase serotonin levels in the body, like escitalopram and other antidepressant medicines, Prodep Capsule can cause serotonin toxicity, which can lead to severe side effects and even death....
- Do not take medicines that cause drowsiness with Prodep Capsule, such as anti-allergy medicines, cold or cough medicines, certain pain relievers, sleeping pills, etc.
- Pimozide and Thioridazine medicine is contraindicated to use with Prodep Capsule as it can cause QT prolongation (heart rhythm disorder). A gap of at least 5 weeks should be maintained if you want to use those medications....
Interactions with food items
- While consuming a Prodep Capsule, do not eat tyramine-rich foods such as cheese, milk, meat, bananas, soy, excess chocolate, chicken liver, canned figs, etc. It can cause serious side effects and a sudden increase in blood pressure....
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice. It can lead to potentially serious side effects.
- Do not use cigarettes or tobacco products. They can alter the effectiveness of the Prodep Capsule.
Storage and disposal of Prodep 60 MG
Dosage of Prodep 60 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Will I gain or lose weight if I use the Prodep Capsule every day?
Q: Can I use the Prodep Capsule if I have seizures?
Q: Can I use Prodep Capsule safely for a long duration?
- Fluoxetine: Medlineplus drug information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Feb 25]. Available from:
- Fluoxetine [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 2022 Feb 25]. Available from
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 24]. Available from:
- PROZAC (fluoxetine delayed-release capsules) for oral use Initial U.S. Approval: 1987 Accessdata.fda.gov. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 24]. Available from: