Oxetol Xr 300mg Tablet
Oxetol Xr 300 MG Description
Oxetol XR 300 tablet is an anti-epileptic medicine. It is used to manage epilepsy or seizures, especially partial seizures and their complications. Epilepsy is a brain disorder that causes a temporar
y fault in the brain's electrical activity. This causes people to have seizures and convulsions. Oxetol XR 300 tablet contains oxcarbazepine as the active ingredient. It works by decreasing the electrical activity in the brain which decreases the frequency of seizures. Take this medicine in the exact dose and duration as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more than the recommended dose. Do not stop taking this medicine on your own. Before starting Oxetol XR 300 tablet, inform the doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or breastfeeding and about your detailed medical history. This medicine is not recommended for use in children less than 6 years of age.
Uses of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
Contraindications of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
Side effects of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
Precautions and Warnings of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
- There is limited information about the effect of Oxetol XR 300 tablet during pregnancy. This medicine should only be used in pregnant women if recommended by the doctor after assessing the need and the risk. Women capable of having children should use effective birth control measures during treatment with Oxetol XR 300 tablet....
Other General Warnings
- You have liver or kidney disorders.
- You are taking any other medicine which can decrease blood sodium levels like indomethacin or ibuprofen. If you are not sure what these medicines are, please confirm with your doctor.
- You have heart disorders like heart rhythm issues, or pumping problems (difficulty in breathing, swelling of ankles).
- You have an allergy to any other medicine used for seizures.
- You are using hormonal contraceptives as a method of birth control.
- You have ulcers in the mouth, throat, nose, genitals, or conjunctivitis (red and swollen eyes).
- You notice an increase in the frequency of seizures.
- You are suffering from conditions like lactose intolerance.
- You develop any allergic reaction after taking Oxetol XR 300 tablet.
Mode of Action of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
How Does It Work?
- Normally in the brain, the electrical activity occurs in a controlled manner. When there is an imbalance in this electrical activity, it becomes uncontrolled and produces symptoms like muscle tightening, unusual head movements, blank stares, moving of eyes from side to side, numbness, and tingling....
- Oxetol XR 300 tablet helps in controlling electrical activity in the brain and decreases the frequency of seizures.
Directions for Use of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
- Oxetol XR 300 tablet should be taken exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- Do not consume more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Oxetol XR 300 tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking other medicines to treat fits/seizures like phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, lamotrigine, and valproic acid.
- Hormonal contraceptives, when used with this medicine, decrease the effectiveness of contraceptive medicines; thus, your doctor may advise you to try other forms of contraception.
- Caution should be exercised with the use of lithium and MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), like phenelzine and moclobemide, (these medicines are used to manage mental illness).
- Concomitant use of Oxetol XR 300 tablet and medicines that can lower sodium levels in the blood like diuretics (used to treat high blood pressure), desmopressin (used for bedwetting), and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (pain killers) can lower the sodium levels in your blood....
- Medicines used to decrease the body’s immune system (immunosuppressants) such as cyclosporine, tacrolimus (used to prevent organ transplantation), and rifampicin (an antibiotic used for the treatment of tuberculosis) when used together with this medicine can alter the effect of this medicine....
Storage and disposal of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
- Store Oxetol XR 300 tablet below 30°C in a cool and dry place.
- Keep away from children and pets.
Dosage of Oxetol Xr 300 MG
- Symptoms of overdose of Oxetol XR 300 tablet include low levels of sodium in the blood, confusion, drowsiness or sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, shaking, seizures/convulsions, headache, double or blurred vision, an abnormal degree of muscular or bodily activity, lack of coordination of movements and uncontrolled eye movements. ...
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of the symptoms or feel you have taken too much of Oxetol XR 300 tablet.
Missed a Dose
- If you forget a dose of Oxetol XR 300 tablet, take it as soon as you remember it.
- However, if it is nearly time for the next dose, skip the missed dose.
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the use of Oxetol XR 300 tablet?
Q: Does Oxetol XR 300 cause sleep?
Q: Is Oxetol XR 300 a steroid?
Q: What is epilepsy?
Q: When to take Oxetol XR 300?
- Trileptal 150 mg Film-coated tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 17 September 2022]
- Trileptal 150 mg Film-coated tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 17 September 2022]
- Oxcarbazepine - CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 17 September 2022]