Mefomin Sr 500mg Tablet
By MACLEODS PHARMACEUTICALS
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
7 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Mefomin Sr 500 MG Description
Mefomin Sr Tablet is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus (also known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes). It contains metformin as its active ingredient. This medicine helps to lower the raised blo
od sugar levels. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor and for the prescribed duration. It should be taken with or after having food. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding and also about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
|You Save||₹3.02 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain|
Check more medicines with composition as Metformin(500.0 Mg)
15 Brand Alternate(s)
Contains same composition as Mefomin Sr 500mg Tablet
- Biciphage Sr 500mg TabletBy Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 19.82₹ 15.867.02% CHEAPER₹ 1.59/Tablet
- Bigomet Sr 500mg TabletBy Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 17.60₹ 14.9612.28% CHEAPER₹ 1.50/Tablet
- Metsmall 500mg Strip Of 28 TabletsBy Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd28 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 54.00₹ 45.904.09% CHEAPER₹ 1.64/Tablet
- Gluformin 500mg Strip Of 10 TabletsBy Abbott Healthcare Pvt Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 18.57₹ 15.787.6% CHEAPER₹ 1.58/Tablet
- Metform Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 TabletsBy Knoll Healthcare Pvt Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 23.80₹ 20.23₹ 2.02/Tablet
- Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 TabletsBy Usv Pvt Ltd20 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 39.65₹ 33.701.17% CHEAPER₹ 1.69/Tablet
- Metadoze Ipr 500mg TabletBy Biocon Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 20.16₹ 17.74₹ 1.77/Tablet
- Walaphage Sr 500mg Strip Of 15 TabletsBy Wallace Pharmaceuticals15 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 29.73₹ 25.271.75% CHEAPER₹ 1.68/Tablet
- Ismet Sr 500mg Strip Of 15 TabletsBy Mitoch Pharma Pvt Ltd15 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 33.83₹ 28.76₹ 1.92/Tablet
- Glyciphage Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 TabletsBy Franco Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 21.29₹ 18.10₹ 1.81/Tablet
Uses of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
Mefomin Sr Tablet is used for type 2 diabetes mellitus (‘non-insulin-dependent diabetes’) when diet and exercise have not been able to control your blood glucose levels.
Contraindications of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
- If you are allergic to metformin or any other ingredients of Mefomin Sr Tablet.
- If you have problems with your liver or kidney.
- If you are an alcoholic (you daily consume alcohol in excess).
- If you have uncontrolled diabetes.
- If you have any heart problems or if you recently had a heart attack.
- If you have a severe infection of the lung or kidney. Infections can increase the risk of lactic acidosis.
Side effects of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
- Stomach pain
- Taste disturbance
- Loss of appetite
Precautions and Warnings of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
Can I take Mefomin Sr Tablet during pregnancy?
This medicine can be taken during pregnancy if it is prescribed by your doctor.
Can I take Mefomin Sr Tablet while breastfeeding?
Metformin is known to pass into breast milk, however, the amount is significantly low to cause any side effects. So, Mefomin Sr Tablet could be taken by breastfeeding mother only if prescribed by her doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Mefomin Sr Tablet?
If you are taking the Mefomin Sr Tablet along with other antidiabetic medicines, there are chances your blood sugar may drop. You may experience dizziness, increased sweating, weakness, difficulty concentrating, which can impair your driving ability. Thus, you should take extra care when driving. Always keep sugar, juice or a bar of chocolate in your car while driving. In case you experience any of the symptoms, stop driving immediately and have sugar/ juice. Do not consume sugar-free items at such episodes.
Can I consume alcohol with Mefomin Sr Tablet?
Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol while taking Mefomin Sr Tablet. Alcohol lowers blood sugar which can be dangerous and also increases the risk of a serious condition called lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from continuous diarrhoea, vomiting, loss of body fluids.
- You experience signs of low blood glucose like dizziness, weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, inability to concentrate. Metformin does not usually cause sudden low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). If Metformin is prescribed with other anti-diabetic medications, low blood sugar may occur....
- You experience muscle pain, stomach pain, vomiting, breathing difficulty, low body temperature. This could be a serious condition known as lactic acidosis.
- Stop taking Mefomin Sr Tablet for a short time if you have severe vomiting or diarrhea.
Mode of Action of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
How Does It Work?
- Your pancreas produces a hormone called insulin. Insulin drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter inside the cell. Then this glucose is utilized as energy by the cell.
- If you have diabetes mellitus, your pancreas either does not make enough insulin or your body is unable to use properly the insulin it produces (insulin resistance).
- As a result, glucose is not able to enter into the cells and this leads to a high level of glucose in your blood.
- Mefomin Sr Tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, lowering the amount of sugar created by the liver and facilitating the entry of sugar into the cells.
Directions for Use of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
Mefomin Sr Tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. It should be taken with or after a meal to reduce its side effects. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results and should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor....
Interactions of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Mefomin Sr Tablet may interact with other medicines, discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled....
- Medicines used to reduce pain and swelling like Ibuprofen, Celecoxib.
- Medicines used to treat asthma like salbutamol or terbutaline.
- Medicines like furosemide (diuretics).
- If you need to take an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for an X-ray or scan, your doctor will ask you to stop taking metformin before or at the time of injection.
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for the long term, these can damage your kidneys. The use of such medicines in diabetes should be avoided....
Interactions with food items
- Absorption of vitamin B12 appears to be reduced during long-term metformin therapy and annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and red blood cell parameters has been recommended.
- It is advisable to have a diabetic diet as advised by your doctor or dietician. This medicine works best along with a good diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Storage and disposal of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
- Store Mefomin Sr Tablets in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Mefomin Sr 500 MG
Excess of Mefomin Sr Tablet may lead to lactic acidosis causing symptoms like vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps and difficulty in breathing. You must seek immediate emergency medical care if you suspect an overdose....
Missed a Dose
If you miss any dose of Mefomin Sr Tablet, take it as soon as you remember with food. However, if it is time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up....
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I tell the healthcare provider before I start treatment with Mefomin Sr Tablet?
- You must get screened for baseline Vitamin B12 levels, kidney and liver profile. Other factors like weight, body mass index (BMI), baseline blood sugar levels before starting the treatment should be noted...
- You must share all the relevant medical and surgical history, your past and ongoing medicines, etc. with your doctor
Q: What food items should I include in my diet?
- A diet should be high in fibre, low in fat with adequate protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Diet should include boiled, steamed or baked food.
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils (groundnut oil, olive oil).
- Maintain regular meal timings and try to have 2-3 healthy snacks between meals like soups and salads.
Q: Can Mefomin Sr Tablet be stopped if my blood sugar level comes in control?
A: No, you should never stop taking Mefomin Sr Tablet without consulting the doctor. Abruptly stopping the medicine results in a sudden rise in blood glucose levels and cause further harm to the kidney and other organs.
Q: Does Mefomin Sr contain metformin?
A: Yes, it contains metformin as its active ingredient.
Q: What is the best time to take Mefomin Sr?
A: You can take Mefomin Sr at any time of the day, as advised by the doctor. But it's best to take this medicine with a meal to reduce the side effects.
Q: What is Mefomin Sr Tablet used for?
A: Mefomin Sr Tablet is used for type 2 diabetes mellitus (‘non-insulin-dependent diabetes’) when diet and exercise have not been able to control your blood glucose levels.
- Metformin 500mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
- Metformin 500mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
- Misbin R. The Phantom of Lactic Acidosis due to Metformin in Patients With Diabetes. 2021. [cited 18 May 2022]
- Metformin [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
Expires on or After
Other Products from this Brand
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed