Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
By NOVO NORDISK INDIA PVT LTD
3ml Solution For Injection in Pre Filled Pen
3 days return policyRead More
Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml contains insulin which belongs to class of Insulins and analogues (synthetic human hormones).
Uses of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
Treatment of diabetes mellitus.
Contraindications of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
- If you are allergic to insulin or any of the ingredients of this medicine
- If you are suffering from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level).
Side effects of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
- Low blood sugar (Hypoglycaemia)
- Feeling hungry
- Visual disturbances
- Pale skin
- Skin rashes
- Pain, redness, swelling at injection site.
Precautions and Warnings of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
Can I take Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml during pregnancy?
- This medicine can be used during pregnancy if your doctor recommends
- However, close monitoring of blood sugar levels is suggested as the dose requirements may change with each trimester of pregnancy.
Can I take Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml while breastfeeding?
You can use this while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml?
- Insulin is known to cause low blood sugar levels and these can lead to impairment in your driving ability
- Always keep sugar or a bar of chocolate in your car with you while driving
- In case you experience any of the symptoms of low blood glucose levels like dizziness, drowsiness, visual disturbances and sweating, stop driving immediately and have sugar/ juice.
Can I consume alcohol with Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml?
- It is advisable not to consume alcohol when you are taking this medicine as it interferes with the way insulin works
- Consumption of alcohol may lead to an increased risk of both low blood glucose level and high blood glucose level
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol while taking insulin.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have recurrent low blood sugar levels
- Be very careful about symptoms of low blood sugar like sweating, anxiety, fast heartbeat, headache, intense hunger, restlessness, dizziness, irritability. If you experience these, immediately have sugar (Do not consume artificial sweeteners). Eat something as soon as possible. Do not take insulin in such a scenario. If still the symptoms persists, seek emergency medical helpread less
- You have frequent fever and infections
- You have diseases related to liver and kidney
- You have thyroid disorders
- You are switching to different insulin medicine brand
- You have pain, itching and swelling at the injection site, you should continuously change the site of injection
- Avoid doing heavy exercise
- You are planning to change your diet preferences
- You should always carry sugar candy with you
- You are taking insulin but not taking adequate meals, your blood glucose can drop drastically.
Mode of Action of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
How Does It Work?
- Insulin is crucial to allow entry of blood glucose into each cell of the body
- Inside the cell, this glucose is used as fuel
- In type 1 diabetes mellitus, the body fails to produce adequate insulin
- This leads to glucose accumulating in the blood and cause high blood glucose
- This medicine lowers blood sugars by stimulating glucose uptake by cells, tissue and muscles, especially by skeletal muscles and fat and by inhibiting glucose production by the liver.
Directions for Use of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
- Take this injection as per the technique suggested by your doctor or nurse
- This injection is to be taken under the skin of the thigh or upper arm or abdomen
- Do not take this injection in vein or in muscles
- Pull a skin, fold up to take this injection
- Wait for at least 6 sec before removing the needle from the injection site
- Always rotate the site of injection, do not take concurrent injections at the same site.
Interactions of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
Interactions with other medicines
- You may have symptoms of low blood sugar if you are taking other medicines for diabetes, depression (fluoxetine), medicines for fever and pain (salicylates), ramipril, lisinopril
- You may have high blood sugar if you are taking oral contraceptives, thiazide, steroids, thyroxine, medicines used to treat severe diarrhoea and abnormal growth of body organs like octreotide, lanreotideread less
- If you are taking a medicine pioglitazone to treat diabetes, be cautious, as some cases of heart attack and heart failure have been reported
- Some medicines block your body's response to low blood sugar, so you may not experience symptoms like headache, hunger pangs, sweating, anxiety when your blood sugar drops. This can lead to a serious fall in blood sugar. Inform your doctor if you are on medicines like Betablockers (Metoprolol, Propranolol, Atenolol), Clonidine, Guanethidine and Reserpine.read less
Interactions with food items
- This medicine is to be taken 15 mins before meals or after meals
- Maintaining a constant meal pattern is advisable when you are taking insulin
- Avoid skipping or delaying meals when you are taking insulin.
Storage and disposal of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
- Store between 2°C to 8°C in the refrigerator
- Do not freeze it
- Keep it out of the reach of children
- Do not open the carton of vials to protect it from light
- Any unused portion should not be stored and should be appropriately discarded.
Dosage of Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml
- Excess insulin will lead to low blood sugar levels, called hypoglycemia
- Symptoms like dizziness, fainting, sweating and tremors may be seen
- If you have the blood glucometer with you, test immediately and confirm
- Whether or not you test your levels, it is important to take some glucose water/juice/eat sugar or chocolates immediately and then rush to your doctor.
Missed a Dose
- Missed dose may lead to high blood sugar levels which can cause symptoms like feeling thirsty, excessive urination, loss of appetite, drowsiness, fruity smell from breath, etc.
- If you missed any dose of medicine take it as soon as you remember
- If it's time for your next dose then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule
- Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate the missed one as taking double dose can cause a drastic fall in blood glucose which can be dangerous.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What food items I should avoid, as I'm a diabetic?
- Avoid maida, white bread, noodles, corn flakes, poori, biryani, naan, fried rice, etc.
- Avoid seetaphal, mango, jack fruit, fruit salads with ice cream, fruit-based desserts
- Avoid cheese, milkshakes, ice creams
- Try to avoid pork, beef, soft drinks, sugarcane juice, sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Q: Can I stop taking Levemir Flexpen Injection 3ml if I am feeling uncomfortable after taking this medicine?
A: No, you can not stop taking your insulin without speaking with a doctor. It may lead to high blood sugar levels and may worsen your disease condition and land you in complications. In case of side effects or discomfort, talk to your doctor. You may need dose adjustment.
Q: Why should I always change the site for taking this injection?
A: Taking injection at the same site may lead to a lump formation, local irritation and itching. Thus it is advisable not to take injections at the same site or maintain a gap of at least one day.
Q: What other lifestyle modifications I need to consider to manage diabetes?
- Diet should include chapatis, multigrain bread, puffed rice with vegetables, sprouts, roasted grams, plain cooked daal, soups, steamed vegetables, cooked vegetables with less oil, Jamun, orange, guava, apple, watermelon, papaya, cow’s milk, curd, thin buttermilk, fish (grilled, baked or steamed), peanuts, cashew nuts and walnuts(handful).read less
- Limit sugar intake
- Brisk walk daily for 30 minutes
- Exercise regularly
- Monitor your blood glucose regularly
- Take your anti-diabetic medication on time.
Q: I develop low blood sugar levels often, what could be the possible reasons?
- Risk factors for developing low blood glucose levels include taking too much insulin, not taking adequate meals or missing meals, too much alcohol consumption, fever and too much exercise
- Some medicines, when used with insulin can result in such episodes like other diabetes medicine glimepiride, medicines used for fever and pain (salicylates), ramipril, etc.
- Report to your doctor about these episodes. You may need a dose of adjustment.
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 06:09 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved