Andial 2mg Tablet
By VERITAZ HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
Andial 2mg Tablet contains Loperamide, an antidiarrhoeal medicine. It decreases the frequency of stools. It is not suitable for all types of diarrhoea. Stop taking it once you get relief from diarrhoea. It is not to be used if you have diarrhoea with blood or bacterial infection, causing diarrhoea. Inform your doctor about all other medicines you are taking before starting with this medicine.
Uses of Andial 2mg Tablet
Andial 2mg Tablet is used in the treatment of acute diarrhoea due to food poisoning. It is also used in the treatment of acute diarrhoea due to viral infections.
Contraindications of Andial 2mg Tablet
- If you are known to have an allergy to the medicine or any of its ingredients or develop complaints suggestive of allergy after starting the medicine.
- If your age is less than 9-years.
- If you already suffer from constipation or develop it during treatment with the medicine.
- If there is unexplained swelling of the stomach during or before treatment, which does not get relieved on its own.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea with blood in stools or have a high fever.
- If you are a known case of or appear to have symptoms of ulcerative colitis (like stomach pain or cramps, weight loss, fatigue), which is a chronic disease of the gut.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea due to infection caused by bacteria like Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea due to the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalosporins like Cefixime, Clindamycin, etc.
Side effects of Andial 2mg Tablet
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea, vomiting
- Dryness of mouth
- Constipation, increased gas formation
- Stomach pain or discomfort
- Decreased level of consciousness
- Tiredness or drowsiness
- Stomach swelling, itchy skin, difficulty passing urine (rarely)
Precautions and Warnings of Andial 2mg Tablet
Can I take Andial 2mg Tablet during pregnancy?
- There is limited information about the effects of Andial 2mg Tablet in human pregnancy. However, it is advisable not to take this medicine during pregnancy, especially during the first 3-months.
- The first 3-months of pregnancy are important, as the body and organs of the foetus are formed during this period.
- You should consult your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a child before starting this medicine.
Can I take Andial 2mg Tablet while breastfeeding?
Andial 2mg Tablet passes into human milk. Also, since it reduces intestinal movement, it can disrupt the normal digestion of the baby. Hence, this medicine is not recommended during breastfeeding. Consult your doctor before using this medicine during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Andial 2mg Tablet?
Andial 2mg Tablet is used for diarrhoea, which itself can cause weakness and dizziness. You may experience unconsciousness or reduced levels of consciousness, tiredness, dizziness or drowsiness when diarrhoea is treated with this medicine. Therefore, it is advisable to use caution when driving a car or avoid driving if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Andial 2mg Tablet?
There are no known interactions of Andial 2mg Tablet with Alcohol. However, it is advisable not to consume alcohol as this itself can lead to abdominal discomfort.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from acute diarrhoea, you must pay keen attention to appropriate fluid and electrolyte replacement from time to time.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for many days, do not keep taking Andial 2mg Tablet endlessly. Instead, get yourself checked as long-term diarrhoea may be a symptom of some serious underlying disease.read less
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for more than 48 hours and Andial 2mg Tablet does not control it, please consult a doctor for further treatment.
- You are an AIDS patient suffering from diarrhoea, you must stop taking tablets at the first sign of stomach distension (bloating and swelling of the belly). The chances of painful constipation and intestinal obstruction are much higher in AIDS patients suffering from intestinal infections.read less
- You are suffering from liver disease, Andial 2mg Tablet should be used with caution. It is important to watch out for dizziness, drowsiness and mental confusion.
- You are suffering from rare hereditary conditions in which your body cannot handle certain sugars (galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption).
- This medicine should be used cautiously in children and patients on a low-sodium diet.
- This medicine should be discontinued promptly if signs of constipation, stomach distension or stomach pain develop.
- You should not exceed the recommended dose or duration of treatment as it is associated with increased heart disorders.
Mode of Action of Andial 2mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Andial 2mg Tablet acts on the internal intestinal lining (layer) and reduces the intestinal movement. Due to this, the movement of food along the intestine is slowed down. This makes way for more water and salts to be absorbed, preventing their loss in each episode of loose stools. It also relieves the feeling of the urgency of passing stools. It also increases control over defecation (excretion or bowel movement) by increasing the power of the natural control valve of the anus which weakens during acute diarrhoea.
Directions for Use of Andial 2mg Tablet
- Take Andial 2mg Tablet as a whole with a sufficient amount of water.
- You should take this medicine as directed by your doctor.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Andial 2mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- If you take Andial 2mg Tablet with Ritonavir (used to treat AIDS), Quinidine (used to treat malaria and for disorders affecting the heart rate), Itraconazole; Ketoconazole, (used to treat fungal infections), Gemfibrozil (used to reduce cholesterol in blood) or with an oral preparation of desmopressin, which is a medicine given for excessive urination, they will increase the amount of Andial 2mg Tablet in blood by slowing its systemic breakdown thereby requiring adjustment of doses by your treating physician.read less
- You should avoid this medicine in combination with medicines known to cause ECG changes e.g. Quinidine (medicines given for malaria and for disorders affecting the heart rate), Procainamide, Amiodarone, Sotalol, (medicine given for disorders affecting the heart rate), Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, Thioridazine, Ziprasidone, (medicines given for psychosis), Moxifloxacin (an antibiotic), Pentamidine (an antimicrobial) and Methadone (a pain killer).read less
- If you are currently taking any one or more of the following medicines, then it is advisable to inform the treating physician in advance and confirm whether it is safe to continue or start treatment with Loperamide. Certain pain killers like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Tramadol, Fentanyl, Tapenade, anti-allergy medicines like Hydroxyzine, Promethazine, Phenyltoloxamine, Orphenadrine and Tripelennamine; anti-dizziness medicines like Hyoscine, Dimenhydrinate, certain anti-asthma medicines like oral preparations of Ipratropium, Tiotropium, etc. These medicines decrease the movement of the intestine and may cause constipation if used with the Loperamide tablet.read less
Interactions with food items
It is advisable to avoid excessive spices, oils and sugars in the food consumed until your condition is better.
Storage and disposal of Andial 2mg Tablet
- Andial 2mg Tablet does not require any requirements for storage.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children and pets.
- Refer to the carton for the expiry date. You should not use this medicine once the expiry date has passed. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- You should not use this medicine if you notice that the pack is damaged or it shows signs of tampering.
- You should not flush this medicine in the toilet or pour them into the drain. You need to properly discard this medicine when it is expired or no longer needed.
Dosage of Andial 2mg Tablet
- Excess of this medicine will lead to abnormalities of the rhythm of the heart and respiratory failure.
- Symptoms of overdose are palpitations, difficulty breathing, choking or vomiting while not being fully conscious, coordination abnormality, sleepiness, constipation.
- If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor or visit the nearest hospital immediately.
Missed a Dose
- Missing a dose of this medicine may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- If you missed any dose of medicine, then take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.read less
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Andial 2mg Tablet an antibiotic?
A: No, Andial 2mg Tablet is not an antibiotic. It is an anti-diarrhoea medicine. It is used to control diarrhoea, which has too much fluid in stools or diarrhoea, which takes time to respond. However, it should never be used without consulting a registered medical practitioner.
Q: How much time does it take for Andial 2mg Tablet to work?
A: It takes about one hour for the first dose of Andial 2mg Tablet to act on the inner lining of the intestine. However, even though many patients respond to one dose, you may have to take more doses to feel some relief.
Q: For how long does the effect of a single dose of Andial 2mg Tablet tablet last?
A: A single dose of Andial 2mg Tablet is effective for about 8–12 hours.
Q: For how long should I take Andial 2mg Tablet?
A: Andial 2mg Tablet should be taken only for the duration, as prescribed by a registered medical practitioner. It should not be used for more than 5-days. If there is no relief even after 5-days it is advisable to consult your treating physician, who will attempt to find other causes of your diarrhoea using specific tests.
Q: Can I take Andial 2mg Tablet with pain killers?
A: Yes, Andial 2mg Tablet can be taken with pain killers. However, it is advisable to take an antacid along with pain killers to avoid abdominal discomfort caused by pain killers.
Q: Can probiotics be taken along with this medicine?
A: Probiotics contain microorganisms that are naturally present in our gut. An episode of diarrhoea leads to the destruction of the natural microbial flora by the invading organism or by antibiotics that destroy them. Probiotics help to restore this damaged microbial flora and help in quick healing. Probiotics can be taken along Andial 2mg Tablet in specific types of diarrhoea only. It is advisable to consult your treating physician before starting probiotics along with Andial 2mg Tablet.
Q: What is Diarrhoea? What causes it?
A: Diarrhoea is a change in consistency and increases in the frequency of stools as compared to normal days. It is an indication of some underlying disease generally. It needs urgent management as there is a loss of excess fluids and salts with each episode of loose stools. It is generally caused as a result of microorganisms that act on the inner lining of intestines and produce substances that affect the movement and reduce the absorption of water and salts from the intestine. Sometimes it may also happen due to a defective immune system where the body acts against its organs or due to excessive use of antimicrobial agents, which may even kill the good bacteria present in the gut.
Other Variants for
Andial 2mg Tablet
Last Updated on: 08 Nov 2020 | 08:08 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved