Sold under the common name of Viagra, Sildenafil is a Phosphodiesterase inhibit
or used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Uses of Sildenafil
- Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, erectile dysfunction is an inability to develop or maintain proper penile erection to perform sexual activity
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension is a health complication marked by increased blood pressure in the arteries connected to the heart
Contraindications of Sildenafil
When should one not use Sildenafil
- Regular smokers are not advised to take Sildenafil as it leads to severe side effect of eye called NAION meaning excessive blood loss in optic nerve
- Patients who experience heart attacks, low blood pressure, myocardial infraction, stroke and cardiac failure are also advised to avoid the use of Sildenafil to prevent serious effects
- Sildenafil is recommended for the individuals having penile deformities
- If you have rare inherited eye diseases (retinitis pigmentosa)
- Sildenafil is not recommended for the treatment of individuals reported with a hypersensitivity for the drug, for who have received treatment with medicine containing nitrates
- Sildenafil is not recommended for the treatment of patients less than 18 year old
- If you have a stomach ulcer or bleeding problem (haemophilia)
Side effects of Sildenafil
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Muscle aches
- Tenderness around eyes or cheekbones
- Runny or bloody nose
- Unusually warm skin
- Troubled breathing
- Reddening of skin
- Stomach discomfort
- Pounding heartbeat
- Burning or itching sensation at various body parts
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Cold sweats
- Difficulty in concentration
- Dry mouth, eyes, and skin
- Chest pain
- Increased hunger
- Increased urination frequency
- Tenderness at stomach
- Prolonged and painful erection
- Behavioural changes
- Bloodshot eyes/red eyes, pain in the eyes, seeing flashes of light, light sensitivity, watery eyes
- Low blood pressure
Precautions and Warnings of Sildenafil
Can I take Sildenafil during pregnancy?
Sildenafil is a medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction in male. Thus, it is not recommended to administer in pregnant women.
Can I take Sildenafil while breastfeeding?
Sildenafil is not recommended to administer in breastfeeding mothers.
Can I drive if I have consumed Sildenafil?
Sildenafil can cause dizziness and can affect your vision. You should be careful if you need to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Sildenafil?
Drinking alcohol is known to cause erection impairment. You are advised not to drink alcohol in extreme amounts before taking Sildenafil.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience sudden loss of hearing or buzzing noise in ears while taking treatment with Sildenafil
- Some patients may experience a sudden loss of vision while taking a treatment with Sildenafil. In such a situation, stop taking Sildenafil and consult a physician immediately
- Sildenafil should be used with great caution for the treatment of heart patients
- The risk of side effects caused by Sildenafil is great in case of regular smokers, patients older than 60 years and heart patients
- Sildenafil may result into priapism, i.e. painful erection especially in patients suffering from sickle cell anaemia (an abnormality of red blood cells), leukaemia (cancer of blood cells), multiple myeloma (cancer of bone marrow) and penile deformities...
Mode of Action of Sildenafil
How Does It Work?
Human erection is an involuntary event governed by the autonomous nervous system. On stimulation, two essential parts of the human penis, corpus carvernosum and corpus spongium create the erection by maintaining blood flow. One more factor that plays a crucial role in regulating erection is cyclic Guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), which increases the blood flow in the penis, causing an erection. In people who have erectile dysfunction, cGMP-specific Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) binds cGMP and inhibits its action. Sildenafil protects this degradation of cGMP by PDE5 in corpus cavernosum. Sildenafil has the same structure as cGMP and it binds PDE5, which eventually results in free cGMP resulting in undisturbed erection....
Interactions of Sildenafil
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant administration of Sildenafil and medicines containing nitrates leads to dangerous hypotensive effects (low blood pressure)
- Coadministration of Sildenafil and alpha-blockers lowers the blood pressure
- Sildenafil interact with Amlodipine and cause an increase in blood pressure
- Coadministration of Sildenafil and CYP3A4 inhibitors like Ritonavir (medicine for HIV treatment) increase the systemic exposure of Sildenafil
- Coadministration of Sildenafil with Ritonavir is not advised
Interactions with food items
Sildenafil leads to dangerous effects when consumed with grapefruit or its juice and pomelo or its juice.
Dietary Restrictions of Sildenafil
Patients taking a treatment with Sildenafil are advised to avoid grapefruit or its products.
Dosage of Sildenafil
Symptoms of overdose can be headache, flushing, dizziness, dyspepsia, nasal congestion, altered vision. Call emergency medical services if you suspect overdose.
Missed a Dose
In case of a missed dose, patients are recommended to take the dose as soon as possible. However, if the time of the next dose has already come, the patient can skip the missed dose and continue with their scheduled dosages....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: On administering this medicine, when does its effect start to show?
A: The effect of Sildenafil can be observed within 30 to 120 minutes of its administration.
Q: What is the duration of its effect?
- The duration of the effect of Sildenafil is 4 hours.
Q: Is it safe with alcohol?
A: No, Sildenafil and alcohol interact with each other and lead to an increase in the risk as well as the intensity of side effects like dizziness, fainting, flushing, headache, etc.
Q: Does it have habit-forming tendencies?
A: No habit-forming tendencies are reported in case of Sildenafil.
Q: What should you tell your doctor before you start the medication of Sildenafil?
A: You must inform the doctor about heart diseases, asthma, blood pressure disorders, diabetes and congenital penile defects (if any) to your doctor before taking a treatment with Sildenafil.
Bubonic Plague Reported: Are We In Danger?
Bubonic plague, which became notorious during the 14th Century in Europe and swept through India from the 1890s to 1910s, is caused by bacteria called Yersinia pestis. Contrary to popular belief, this plague isn’t caused by rat bites. The cause of bubonic plague is the bite of infected fleas. These fleas live in the hairs
Cherry Tomatoes: Unveiling the Nutritional Benefits and Culinary Uses
Key Highlights: Introduction Cherry tomatoes are small and full of colour and flavour, they have gained popularity worldwide concerning culinary usage. They are said to be nutritious and provide potential health benefits. In this article, we will be discussing the history behind the use of cherry tomatoes, their potential benefits, the different varieties available, ,
Ashwagandha Benefits for Females: Enhancing Health with Research-Based Insights
Key Highlights: Introduction Ashwagandha goes by many names, including Withania somnifera or “Indian ginseng.” This is an adaptogenic herb with a rich history in Ayurvedic medicine spanning over 3,000 years. Its fame has grown in recent times due to the numerous health benefits it offers, especially for women’s health. In this article, we delve into
Butterfly Pea Flower: Uses, Benefits, Side Effects & More!
Key Highlights: Introduction The butterfly pea flower is scientifically called Clitoria ternatea. Its blue colour is stunning. It promises potential health benefits. It can colour your mixed drinks. Even cosmetic enthusiasts find a use for it. It is said to contain a lot of antioxidants which are probably responsible for its vibrant colour. Studies also
Fenugreek for Hair Growth: Reviewed and Confirmed by Effective Studies
Key Highlights: Introduction Hair, being one of the essential aspects of an individual’s appearance, plays a significant role in boosting one’s self-esteem and confidence. Maintaining the health of our hair is crucial, but daily exposure to environmental stressors, unhealthy lifestyles, and genetic factors can often lead to various hair problems, including hair loss. There are
Can Ashwagandha Increase Height: An Evidence-Based Review
Key Highlights: Introduction Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an ancient medicinal herb that has been utilized in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries due to its numerous potential health benefits. One question that often arises is whether Ashwagandha can help increase height. In this article, we will explore the potential role of Ashwagandha in height growth, as well
Zinc Rich Fruits: A Comprehensive Nutritional Guide
Key Highlights: Introduction In this article, we’ll first understand why zinc is so vital. From there, we’ll learn about the best food sources of this key nutrient. Lastly, we will describe the potential benefits of zinc how to avoid deficiency. Importance of Zinc in Our Diet Zinc is said to be key for many
Fruits to Avoid During Cough and Cold: A Comprehensive Guide for Improved Recovery
Key Highlights: Introduction Illnesses like coughs and colds can take a toll on our bodies, and it’s crucial to maintain a proper diet during this time. Eating the right foods not only supports the body’s natural healing process but also helps strengthen our immune system, ensuring a faster and more efficient recovery. In this comprehensive
Flaxseed for Hair Growth: Unveiling Its Research-Based Potential Benefits
Key Highlights: Introduction Flaxseed, a popular natural remedy praised for its nutritional value, has recently gained attention for its potential benefits in promoting hair growth and overall hair health. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, vitamin E, and protein, this small but mighty seed may be the key to unlocking luscious locks and a
PharmEasy Health Partner
Earn Extra Income – Become PharmEasy Health Partner. Why should you become PharmEasy Health Partner? Here are a few reasons to consider: This is the right thing to do if you have an entrepreneurial mind. Start your business with zero investment. Build your network of customers, place their orders, and start earning for every order
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.