Piroxicam is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID), used to decrease the pain and inflammation in persons of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Uses of Piroxicam
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Other musculoskeletal disorders
Contraindications of Piroxicam
When should one not use Piroxicam
- Do not take if you are allergic to Piroxicam or any ingredient of this medicine
- Allergic to Aspirin or other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
Side effects of Piroxicam
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach ache
- Bleeding in stomach/ulcer
- Ringing in the ears
- Rise in blood pressure
- Itching and rash
- Kidney disorder - swelling of legs and decreased urination
- Liver disorder – nausea, stomach pain, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), dark coloured urine, loss of appetite, etc.
- Heart disease, swelling of feet, unusual tiredness, unusual weight gain
Precautions and Warnings of Piroxicam
Can I take Piroxicam during pregnancy?
Medication of Piroxicam during pregnancy may be harmful for baby. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning a pregnancy before using this medicine.
Can I take Piroxicam while breastfeeding?
Piroxicam can pass into breast milk and may harm the baby. Do not use this medication without doctor’s advice.
Can I drive if I have consumed Piroxicam?
If this medicine makes you feel light-headed, dizzy or drowsy or cause blurred vision, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Piroxicam?
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding and liver diseases.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have high cholesterol
- If you have liver, kidney or heart disease
- If you have any heart-related problems
- If you have diabetes
- If you have asthma
Mode of Action of Piroxicam
How Does It Work?
Piroxicam decreases the inflammatory reaction by blocking the release of specific chemical mediators, which are responsible for pain and swelling, thereby reducing the pain, swelling, and other symptoms.
Interactions of Piroxicam
Interactions with other medicines
- Blood thinner like Warfarin
- Heart or blood pressure medication
- Steroid medicines
Interactions with food items
No specific interactions with food have been reported yet. Drink plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration.
Dietary Restrictions of Piroxicam
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Piroxicam
Symptoms of overdose can be lethargy, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, blood in cough/vomit or stools, etc. Rise in blood pressure, kidney failure, difficulty in breathing and coma. If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, seek emergency medical care immediately.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- Piroxicam should be taken in the exact dose as advised by the physician
- The liquid medicine should be measured in a measuring device and then consumed. It shouldn’t be taken on approximate measurements
- Shake the oral suspension before every use
- Do not take more than the recommended dose of Piroxicam
- Overdose of Piroxicam can cause serious problems
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Piroxicam?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical and surgical history
- Inform your physician if you have any of the following conditions-
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- History of heart attack or stroke
- History of stomach ulcers or stomach and intestinal bleeding
- Kidney disease
- If you are pregnant, lactating or planning a pregnancy
- Inform the physician about all the medicines that you are taking
- Piroxicam can have adverse effects when taken along with other medicines
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Piroxicam
DOLOXICAM 20MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By TROIKAA PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved