Pantoprazole belongs to the group of medicines that decrease acid production in the stomach.
Medicines containing Pantoprazole
PANTOCID 40MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By RANBAXY LABORATORIES (SUN PHARMA)
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
PANTODAC 40MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By ZYDUS CADILA HEALTHCARE LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
Uses of Pantoprazole
- Stomach ulcer
- Ulcer in the first part of intestine
- A peculiar infection of the stomach called Helicobacter Pylori infection. Here it is used along with antibiotics
- Treating symptoms like heartburn, acid regurgitation associated to gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- It can be used alone or with other medicines that decrease or neutralize acid secretion
Contraindications of Pantoprazole
When should one not use Pantoprazole
- If you have any allergic reaction to Pantoprazole or other proton pump inhibitors
- If you are on Rilpivirine or Atazanavir or other anti-HIV medications
- If you are on Methotrexate
- You have/ are suspected of having stomach cancer. There are studies that link Pantoprazole to stomach cancer. It is important to share if you have any personal or family history of stomach cancer
Side effects of Pantoprazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Constipation or diarrhea along with flatulence
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
- Serious skin conditions: blistering of the skin, erosion of nose, mouth, lips, genitals (Steven Johnson syndrome) and sensitivity to light
- Increased risk of infections in the long term use
- Fracture of the hip, wrist or spine
- Skin turning yellow (severe damage to liver cells, jaundice)
- Altered sense of taste
- Disturbances in vision such as blurred vision
- Decreased sodium and magnesium levels in blood
Precautions and Warnings of Pantoprazole
Can I take Pantoprazole during pregnancy?
There is no adequate information from the use of Pantoprazole in pregnant women. If you are pregnant, you should use this medicine only if your doctor considers the benefit for you more significant than the potential risk for your unborn baby.
Can I take Pantoprazole while breastfeeding?
Pantoprazole passes into human milk. If you are breastfeeding, ask your doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Pantoprazole?
Pantoprazole has a negligible influence on the ability to drive. If you experience side effects like dizziness or disturbed vision, you should avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Pantoprazole?
No interaction between alcohol and Pantoprazole has been reported. However, alcohol is known to increase acidity and can make your acidity worse.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have serious liver issues. In case of an increase of liver enzymes, the treatment should be stopped
- If you have low levels of vitamin B12 (like Cobalamin). Pantoprazole is known to cause reduced absorption of vitamin B12 in the long term
- If on exposure to sun you get rashes on your skin, stop your treatment with Pantoprazole and inform your doctor as soon as you can
- It may cause Clostridium difficle associated diarrhea and malabsorption if taken for a long term. Therefore, it should be taken only on doctor’s advice
Mode of Action of Pantoprazole
How Does It Work?
A pump called the proton pump in the stomach is responsible for the secretion of stomach acids. Pantoprazole binds to this proton pump in stomach cells and blocks the acid secretion. Therefore, it is used in conditions where there is excessive acidity.
Interactions of Pantoprazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines such as Itraconazole, Ketoconazole (used to treat fungal infections)
- Medicines such as Erlotinib, Methotrexate (used for certain types of cancer)
- Medicines given in HIV/ AIDS patients (such as Nelfinavir, Tenofovir, Atazanavir, Rilpivirine, etc.)
- Warfarin and Phenprocoumon, these affect the thickening or thinning of the blood
Interactions with food items
To be taken on an empty stomach. There are no known interactions with food or beverages. However, nicotine, caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, and cola) and alcohol can stimulate stomach acid or delay ulcer healing and hinder the treatment process.
Dietary Restrictions of Pantoprazole
Not to be taken with food. Pantoprazole should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach.
Dosage of Pantoprazole
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a more dose to compensate for a missed one.
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long can the medicine be taken?
A: It generally needs five days to a week for the onset of action. Duration depends on the condition for which it is taken. Usually, prescribed in timed courses of 1-6 months duration.
Q: What should I tell my healthcare expert before starting this medication?
A: Some studies link Pantoprazole to stomach cancer. It is important to share if you have any personal or family history of stomach cancer. It is also essential for you to share information on the history of HIV/ AIDS, liver cirrhosis or other critical conditions that you are suffering from. Also, disclose to your doctor all the ongoing medications and supplements that you are taking.
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
A: It is given in the tablet or capsule form to be taken on an empty stomach in the morning as a single dose.
Last Updated on: 17 Apr 2020 | 09:19 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved