Itraconazole is used for the treatment of fungal infections. It works by blocki
ng the formation of the cell membrane of fungal cells by inhibiting the enzyme. It belongs to the anti-fungal class of medicines. Itraconazole is available in the form of tablet, capsule, oral powder, injection, eye drops, eye ointment, eye/ear drops, cream, gel, dusting powder, soap. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting itraconazole.
Uses of Itraconazole
Contraindications of Itraconazole
When should one not use Itraconazole
- You are allergic to itraconazole or similar medicines
- If you have any heart related problems
- If you are pregnant or are planning a pregnancy
Side effects of Itraconazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Injection/applications site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Itraconazole
Other General Warnings
- You had or have heart problems like heart failure, heart attack, etc
- You have problems with your liver or kidney
- You experience shortness of breath, unexpected weight gain, swollen legs or stomach or tiredness.
Mode of Action of Itraconazole
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Itraconazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way itraconazole works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat your heart problems, diabetes, cancer, HIV infection, blood cholesterol problems, mental health problems, migraine, fits, allergy
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage form is itraconazole available?
Q: Is itraconazole an antibiotic?
- Sporanox (itraconazole) Capsules [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2021 [cited 30 October 2021]
- Itraconazole - Product Monograph [Internet]. Pdf.hres.ca. 2021 [cited 30 October 2021]
- Itraconazole 100mg Capsules, hard - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 30 October 2021]
- Itraconazole 100mg Capsules, hard - Patient information leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 30 October 2021]