It is an antifungal medicine, effective against various fungi and yeast.
Uses of Itraconazole
- To treat fungal infections (both cutaneous and systemic infections)
- In preventing fungal infections in preterm babies, organ transplant recipients and in conditions where there is a weak immune system (such as AIDS)
Contraindications of Itraconazole
When should one not use Itraconazole
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Allergic reactions to itraconazole or any other medicine of its class
Side effects of Itraconazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Common side effects include headache, stomach discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, and rash.
- Increased liver enzymes, liver damage, jaundice
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Other Serious side effects may include rhythm defects in heart, and fits
- This medicine can affect an organ called adrenal glands in your body.
- This leads to insufficient steroid hormone levels in the body. You may experience weight loss, muscle weakness, tiredness
Precautions and Warnings of Itraconazole
Can I take Itraconazole during pregnancy?
Itraconazole is unsafe during pregnancy. You should not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning pregnancy. During pregnancy it may increase the risk of miscarriage while large doses may cause severe birth defects.
Can I take Itraconazole while breastfeeding?
Itraconazole passes into the human milk. Therefore, the use of itraconazole during breast feeding is not recommended.
Can I drive if I have consumed Itraconazole?
Caution is advised as Itraconazole may cause dizziness or fits. If you experience any of these, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Itraconazole?
No known interaction with alcohol
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have liver or kidney disease
- If you have heart disorder of irregular rhythm
- If you have abnormal electrolyte levels (potassium, calcium or magnesium) in your blood
- If you have adrenal disorder (an organ about your kidney)
Mode of Action of Itraconazole
How Does It Work?
It blocks the formation of cell membrane of the fungus by inhibiting an enzyme. Thus the fungi stop multiplying or die because of non-formation of complete cell membrane. It is not effective against virus or bacteria.
Interactions of Itraconazole
Interactions with other medicines
Avoid cisapride when on this treatment as it can have additive effects, Cisapride can also cause irregular heartbeat like this medicine. Immediately inform your doctor if you are taking astemizole, terfenadine or cisapride or pimozide or quinidine or erythromycin as these SHOULD NOT be taken with itraconazole. Effect of contraceptive pills might be reduced. Addition of barrier form of contraception is needed. Medicines like rifampicin,warfarin,prednisone,celecoxib,voriconazole
Interactions with food items
It is advisable to take this medicine along with food as it increases heart burn if taken on empty stomach.
Dietary Restrictions of Itraconazole
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Itraconazole, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Itraconazole
Symptoms may include irregular heartbeat, fits, headache, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting. Immediately contact the physician.
Missed a Dose
- If you missed any a dose of itraconazole, take it as soon as possible as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with regular dosing schedule. Do not take extra dose of medicineread less
- It is advisable not to miss doses and complete the course as told by your doctor
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Q1. What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking this medicne ?
A: Tell your doctor if you are sexually active and discuss effective contraception methods. Any other medical problems along with other this medicine consumed by you, if any should be discussed with your doctor.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Itraconazole
IT MAC 200MG STRIP OF 8 CAPSULES
By MACLEODS PHARMACEUTICALS
8 Capsule(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved