Dutasteride belongs to a group of medicine called 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors.
It is used in men to treat noncancerous growth of the prostate gland which is caused by increased production of dihydrotestosterone (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia).
Uses of Dutasteride
It is used for the treatment of Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate.
Contraindications of Dutasteride
When should one not use Dutasteride
Do not take Dutasteride if you are allergic to it or other 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitor drugs (such as Finasteride), if you have a severe liver disease. This medicine is used in men patients only, women or children patients are prohibited from using this medicine....
Side effects of Dutasteride
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like skin rash, itching, hives
- Swelling of eye, legs
- Unable to achieve or maintain an erection properly (impotence)
- Decreased sex drive
- Dizziness if this medicine is taken with Tamsulosin
- Breast enlargement or tenderness (gynecomastia)222
Precautions and Warnings of Dutasteride
Can I take Dutasteride during pregnancy?
- Dutasteride is not recommended in women. If in case pregnant women come in contact with leaked capsule of Dutasteride, immediately inform your physician as this medicine is absorbed through the skin and may affect the development of the unborn baby (if male). Watch out for this risk in the first 16 weeks of pregnancy...
- Use contraceptives if your partner is pregnant
Can I take Dutasteride while breastfeeding?
Dutasteride is not recommended to be used by women who are breastfeeding. This medicine is used for men only. Consult with a doctor for advice during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Dutasteride?
Do not drive unless you feel well. This medicine may affect your ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Dutasteride?
Be cautious and avoid the intake of alcohol with this medicine as alcohol may cause difficulty in urination.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any liver disease
- Your partner is pregnant or may become pregnant
Mode of Action of Dutasteride
How Does It Work?
When there is growth of the prostate gland, you may suffer from urine problems like frequent urination, difficulty in passing urine. It can also cause a decrease in the flow of urine and it increases the risk of acute urinary retention (completely block urine flow). Dutasteride decreases the production of dihydrotestosterone and helps to reduce the size of the prostate and reliefs from urinary problems....
Interactions of Dutasteride
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicine may interact with Dutasteride e.g., Amiodarone, Amoxicillin, Ciprofloxacin, Cyclosporine, Diltiazem, Verapamil, Dasatinib, Fluconazole, Isoniazid, Itraconazole and Ketoconazole
- Tell your doctor if you are taking Ritonavir because it may increase the risk of Dutasteride side effect
Interactions with food items
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking this drug as this may cause too much concentration of Dutasteride in blood
- Do not drink alcohol with Dutasteride because alcohol can dehydrate you and make urinating difficult
Dietary Restrictions of Dutasteride
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Dutasteride
If you think you have taken too much dose of Dutasteride medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. If the time for next sode is closer, skip the missed dose & do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Dutasteride?
A: Give a detailed account of your medical and surgical history to your doctor. Also, mention to your doctor all the prescription and non-prescription medicines, herbal preparations and nutritional supplements that you may be taking before starting this medication.
Q: What special precautions should I take?
- Do not donate your blood for at least 6 months after treatment with Dutasteride because this drug remains in the blood for 4 to 6 months. Use a condom during sexual intercourse. Dutasteride has been found in the semen of the men who were taking this medicine....
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.