Clarithromycin is a ‘macrolide antibiotic,’ commonly used for the treatment of bacterial infections of throat, lungs, skin, soft tissues(fat, muscle, ligaments, etc.), and stomach ulcers.
Uses of Clarithromycin
- Clarithromycin is helpful in the treatment of various bacterial infections
- Throat and sinus infections (bacterial pharyngitis and sinusistis)
- Collection of fluid or pus in the lungs (pneumonia)
- Worsening of infection of the airways (acute exacerbation of bronchitis)
- Mild to moderate skin and soft tissue infections (soft tissues include fat, muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, blood vessels, etc.)
- Ulcers of the stomach and intestine (commonly caused by Helicobacter Pylori bacteria)
Contraindications of Clarithromycin
When should one not use Clarithromycin
- Allergy to Clarithromycin or any ingredients of the medicine or any similar medicines of the same group (Erythromycin, Roxithromycin, Telithromycin, etc.)
- If you have any heart, kidney or liver problem
- Low levels of potassium in the blood
- Certain medicines used to treat – migraine, high cholesterol (Simvastatin, Lovastatin), gout (Colchicine), to prevent heart attacks or brain stroke (Ticagrelor, Ranolazine)
Side effects of Clarithromycin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Sleeping problems, headache
- Stomach pain, vomiting, feeling sick (nausea), loose motions, indigestion
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Taste disturbances, excessive sweating
- Skin rashes
- Decreased hunger, anxiety, dizziness, spinning of the head
- Hearing problems, gas in the stomach, constipation
- Rashes, itching, dry mouth, weakness, chest pain
- Severe allergic skin reactions causing swelling of the face, lips, throat, difficulty in breathing
Precautions and Warnings of Clarithromycin
Can I take Clarithromycin during pregnancy?
Not enough data is available about the safety of this medicine during pregnancy. Hence do not use this medicine during pregnancy.
Can I take Clarithromycin while breastfeeding?
Clarithromycin secretes in breast milk, but its effect on the baby is not known. Hence it is recommended to avoid this medicine while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Clarithromycin?
Clarithromycin is not known to affect your driving ability, but exert caution in the presence of side effects such as drowsiness, spinning of head, confusion, etc.
Can I consume alcohol with Clarithromycin?
Alcohol does not interact with Clarithromycin, but it should be remembered that alcohol delays healing of infections.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Kidney, liver or heart problems
- Low blood magnesium levels
- Previous use of Clarithromycin on several occasions
- Hearing problems
- Discontinue the medicine if you develop any allergic skin reactions
- If you develop loose motions after using Clarithromycin that persist, inform your doctor immediately
Mode of Action of Clarithromycin
How Does It Work?
Clarithromycin prevents the formation of proteins that are required for survival, growth, and multiplication of bacteria and thus controls the infection.
Interactions of Clarithromycin
Interactions with other medicines
- Migraine (Ergotamine, Dihydroergotamine)
- High cholesterol levels in the blood (Simvastatin, Lovastatin)
- Gout (Colchicine)
- Medicines that prevent heart attacks or brain stroke (Ticagrelor, Ranolazine)
- Use with caution:
- Anti-anxiety medications (Alprazolam, Triazolam, Midazolam)
- Anti-allergic medicines (Astemizole, Terfenadine)
- Blood thinning agents (Warfarin)
- Diabetic medicines (Nateglinide, Repaglinide, Insulin)
- Anti-seizure medications (Carbamazepine, Valproate, Phenytoin)
- Immunosuppressants (Cyclosporine, Sirolimus, Tacrolimus, Methylprednisolone)
- Medicines used to treat heart rhythm problems (Digoxin, Verapamil, Quinidine, Disopyramide)
- Omeprazole (to reduce stomach acidity), Rifabutin (treats TB), medicines to treat erectile dysfunction (Sildenafil, Tadalafil, Vardenafil), Theophylline (treats asthma), Tolterodine (treats
- overactive bladder), Vinblastine (anti-cancer), medicines that can affect hearing (Gentamicin, Amikacin, Tobramycin), medicines that treat psychosis (Quetiapine. etc.)
Interactions with food items
Clarithromycin can be taken before or after meals, with a glass of water.
Dietary Restrictions of Clarithromycin
Avoid Clarithromycin with Tyramine - rich foods such as cheese, smoked fish, meats, etc.
Dosage of Clarithromycin
Unintentional overdose of Clarithromycin may not be harmful. But high overdose can cause symptoms such as altered mental status, behavioral changes, low potassium levels, etc., which require medical attention.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is too late. Remember the time interval between two dosages prescribed by your doctor and allow at least 6-8 hours between successive doses. Do not take extra medicine or double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What else should I know before taking Clarithromycin?
A: Do not take Clarithromycin for long periods. For most infections, it is usually given for 1-2 weeks. Continue using the medicine for at least two days after you feel better or relieved of symptoms. Do not stop this medicine without the notice of your doctor. Clarithromycin works only for bacterial infections. Cold, cough, running nose, and lung problems can also be caused by viruses, and this medicine should not be used in these patients. Inappropriate usage may lead to unwanted effects. Hence it is advised not to self-medicate and use Clarithromycin only under medical supervision. Clarithromycin is a potent medicine and gives good results in most of the cases.
Q: Is Clarithromycin a useful option for stomach ulcers?
A: Yes. But it should be used in combination with other medicines. In stomach ulcer conditions, Clarithromycin is used along with other medicines, usually as a triple- medicine therapy, for 10-14 days, this is because Clarithromycin has excellent activity against the common bacteria involved in stomach ulcers – Helicobacter Pylori.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Clarithromycin
CLARIBID 500MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
CLARIBID 250MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved