Cefuroxime is used to treat bacterial infections of tonsils, throat, sinus, ear
s, respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissue infections. It works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacteria, which ultimately causes the death of bacteria. Cefuroxime belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. It is available in the form of tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, oral drops, oral liquid, dry syrup, dry suspension, injection. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting cefuroxime.
Uses of Cefuroxime
Contraindications of Cefuroxime
When should one not use Cefuroxime
- If you are allergic to cefuroxime or similar medicines.
- If you have a history of a severe allergic reaction to Penicillin, Monobactams, Carbapenems, or other Beta-Lactam antibiotics.
Side effects of Cefuroxime
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Cefuroxime
Other General Warnings
- You have problems with your kidneys.
- You experience continuous diarrhoea.
- You develop white patches in your mouth.
- You develop any allergic reactions after taking cefuroxime.
- You develop rash with blisters and peeling of the skin.
- Cefuroxime is not recommended for use in children less than 3 months old.
Mode of Action of Cefuroxime
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Cefuroxime
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way cefuroxime works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Do not take Cefuroxime with your acidity medicines.
- Medicines used to treat gout (Probenecid) and medicines used to thin your blood (Warfarin) should be used with caution along with this medicine.
- Concomitant use along with contraceptive pills may cause the failure of contraceptive pills (OC pills). If you are taking the contraceptive pill while you are being treated with this medicine, you also need to use another method of contraception (such as condoms)....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Cefuroxime available?
Q: Is Cefuroxime an antibiotic?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Zinnat Tablets 125mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Zinnat Tablets 125mg - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Cefuroxime: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD [Internet]. Webmd.com. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Cefuroxime [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]