Aceclofenac is a pain-relieving medicine. It is used to relieve pain, swelling,
and inflammation of the joints and bone. It is also used for short term treatment of pain due to post-operative and post-traumatic cases. It is useful in conditions such as arthritis, osteoarthritis (inflammation of the joints), ankylosing spondylitis (inflammation of the backbone). It belongs to a class of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Aceclofenac is available in the form of tablets, capsules, gel, injection. It is not recommended for use in patients below 18 years. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting aceclofenac.
Uses of Aceclofenac
- Aceclofenac is used to relieve pain, swelling and inflammation of joints in patients suffering with various forms of arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis (a type of arthritis that causes pain and stiffness in the spine)....
- It can also be used for short term treatment of pain due to post-operative and post-traumatic cases.
Contraindications of Aceclofenac
When should one not use Aceclofenac
- If you are allergic to aceclofenac or similar medicines (NSAIDs)
- If you are suffering from any heart problems such as heart failure, stroke, etc
- If you have any history or suffer from any liver or kidney problems
- If you have ulcers in your stomach or small intestine, history of bleeding in the digestive tract and stomach, history of recurrent ulcers in the stomach.
- If you are suffering from any blood clotting disorders
- If you have a history of bleeding caused due to the use of painkillers
- It should not be used in the third trimester of pregnancy
Side effects of Aceclofenac
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Injection/Application site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Aceclofenac
Other General Warnings
- You have problems with your liver or kidneys
- You have or had any blood circulation disorder due to which blood supply to the brain was affected.
- You have asthma or breathing-related disorders.
- You have diabetes, high blood pressure, blood clots, heart-related disorder, high cholesterol.
- You have inflammation or bleeding problems in your stomach or any part of your gut.
- You are pregnant, trying to conceive or taking treatment for fertility
- You are breastfeeding
- You develop an allergic reaction after taking aceclofenac
- You suffer from conditions like porphyria (related to blood) or lupus (immune system attacks its tissues).
- You are recovering from surgery
- You are infected with chickenpox
- You consume alcohol or are a smoker
- You are above 60 years old
Mode of Action of Aceclofenac
How Does It Work?
- Prostaglandins are substances which is responsible for the sensation of pain, swelling, and inflammation.
- Aceclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) and works by blocking the activity of an enzyme that is responsible for the formation of prostaglandins, thus relieving pain, swelling and inflammation....
Interactions of Aceclofenac
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way aceclofenac works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat psychiatric illnesses, heart problems, high blood pressure, infection, cancer, autoimmune disorders such as arthritis and skin conditions, HIV infection, diabetes or if you are taking blood thinners and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), water pills....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can aceclofenac be given to children?
Q: Is aceclofenac a steroid?
Q: In which all dosage forms is aceclofenac available?
- CDSCO - Aceclofenac [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- Aceclofenac 100 mg film-coated Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- Aceclofenac 100 mg film-coated Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- Aceclofenac [Internet]. Bfarm.de. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- Aceclofenac: Indication, Dosage, Side Effect, Precaution | CIMS India [Internet]. Mims.com. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]