Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
Telmaxx 50mg Tablet Description
Telmaxx 50 tablet contains a combination of metoprolol and telmisartan as its active ingredients. It is an anti-hypertensive medicine used to treat high blood pressure when it cannot be managed using
single medicine. Telmisartan and metoprolol belong to a class of medicines known as "Angiotensin receptor blocker (ARBs)" and "Beta-blocker" respectively. This medicine acts by relaxing the blood vessels and lowering the raised blood pressure. Do not stop taking Telmaxx 50 tablet abruptly, as it may cause sudden hypertensive crises and worsen the health further. Always take it as prescribed and advised by your doctor. Visit a nearby clinic or hospital in case of any side effect that worsens or remain persistent.
Uses of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
Contraindications of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
- If you have any allergic reaction to metoprolol, telmisartan or any of the ingredient of Telmaxx 50 tablet
- If you are suffering from heart problems like heart block, heart failure or sick sinus syndrome (abnormal heart rhythms)
- If you have a specific type of angina called Prinzmetal's angina
- If you have reduced blood supply to your limbs (peripheral arterial disease)
- If you have asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- If you are suffering from an adrenal gland tumour (phaeochromocytoma)
- If you have a condition called metabolic acidosis (increased acidity in your body or are on medicines to treat irregular heart rhythm like disopyramide)
- If you have diabetes associated with frequent low blood sugar levels
- If you are suffering from low blood pressure (hypotension)
- If you are in the second or third trimester of pregnancy
- If you have blockage of any duct that carries bile from the liver to gallbladder (obstructive biliary disorders) or severe liver disease
- If you have diabetes and you are on Aliskiren, do not take this medicine
Side effects of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
- Stomach pain
- Slow heart rate
- Low blood pressure
Precautions and Warnings of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
- Do not take Telmaxx 50 tablet if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby
- This medicine may cause serious harm to your baby
- If you are on this medication and planning pregnancy, inform the same to your doctor, so that your prescription can be changed
- Telmaxx 50 tablet passes into the mother’s milk. Thus, you should not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
- In the case of breastfeeding, the infant needs close monitoring for side effects like slowing heart rate.
Other General Warnings
- You have asthma
- You have diabetes, caution is required. Metoprolol may cause low blood sugar levels and also change the body’s response to low blood sugar. You may experience warning signs of low blood sugar such as an increase in heart rate, sweating, hunger pangs, headache, etc....
- You have a tumour of adrenal gland tissue (Pheochromocytoma)
- You have an overactive thyroid (a condition when the thyroid gland produces too much of the thyroxine hormone)
- You are suffering from psoriasis
- You have a circulation related problem in the toes, arm, legs or fingers
- You are suffering from a type of chest pain (Prinzmetal’s angina)
- You recently had any heart attack, chest pain or heart surgery
- You have kidney disease or have had a kidney transplant or liver disease
- You are known to have narrowed or blockage of the blood vessels of one or both kidneys
- You develop diarrhoea or vomiting, this dehydration can result in low blood pressure, have an adequate amount of water and fluids
- You are suffering from low blood pressure (hypotension)
- You have a high level of potassium in your blood
- You are taking medicines like Ramipril and Lisinopril
Mode of Action of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
- Metoprolol works by slowing the heart rate and relaxing blood vessels and reduces high blood pressure.
- Angiotensin II is a substance produced in the body which causes the narrowing of blood vessels. It leads to an increase in blood pressure.
- Telmisartan prevents the binding of Angiotensin II to its receptors and causes the blood vessels to relax and lowers the blood pressure.
Directions for Use of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
- Take Telmaxx 50 tablet as directed by your doctor
- Always take it at the same time every day
- Never change the dose or stop this medicine on your own
Interactions of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Telmaxx 50 tablet contains metoprolol and telmisartan, if any interactions seen with these two components when taken alone, may occur with this combination
- Do not take it with medicines like Amiodarone, Disopyramide or painkillers like Indomethacin, Sulindac, Diclofenac and Foctafenine as these can decrease the effect of this medicine
- If you have diabetes, dose adjustment may be needed as this medicine can cause a drop in blood glucose levels and close glucose monitoring is advised
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure and benign prostatic hyperplasia (Prazosine, Tamsulosin, Terazosin and Doxazosin).
- If you have diabetes and you are on Aliskiren, do not take this medicine
- Caution is needed if you are taking Fluoxetine, Lithium, Paroxetine, Bupropion, Thioridazine (medicines for psychiatric illness), Diphenhydramine, Hydroxychloroquine and Mefloquine
- Medicines used to treat acidity or ulcers (antacids) like Cimetidine
- Medicines used to treat heart problems (Digoxin)
- Medicines used to treat depression and Parkinson’s disease (Monoamine Oxidase inhibitors)
- Medicines used to lower down the blood pressure (Clonidine, Guanfacine, Moxonidine, Methyldopa and Rilmenidine)
- Medicines used to treat migraine (Ergotamine) or Nitroglycerine
- General anaesthetics or local anaesthetic (Lidocaine)
- Medicines that may increase blood potassium levels like salt containing potassium and potassium-sparing diuretics
- Blood thinners like Warfarin and Heparin
- Immunosuppressives (Cyclosporin or Tacrolimus)
- Medicines used to treat infections like Trimethoprim, Rifampicin or Terbinafine
- Medicines known as Diuretics (water pills) used to treat high blood pressure like Furosemide and Hydrochlorothiazide
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
- Store Telmaxx 50 tablet at or below 25°C
- Store it in original packing to protect it from light
- Try to keep out of the reach of children
Dosage of Telmaxx 50mg Tablet
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What special precautions should I follow?
Q: Are there any dietary restrictions I should follow as I have high blood pressure?
- Limit intake of salt in diet especially pickles and packaged foods like chips contain excess salt and should be avoided
- Have less amount of potassium-containing foods like spinach, broccoli or banana
- Limit meat intake in your diet
- Instead of having packaged snacks, prefer fresh cut fruits as they are rich in vitamins and fibre
Q: What will be the consequences if I stop Telmaxx 50 tablet on my own?
Q: What is the use of Telmaxx 50 tablet?
Q: Is Telmaxx 50 tablet a blood thinner?
- Metoprolol Tartrate 100 mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- AG-METOPROLOL-L (Metoprolol Tartrate Tablets USP) [Internet]. Pdf.hres.ca. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- Micardis 20 mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- AG-Telmisartan (Telmisartan Tablets USP) [Internet]. Pdf.hres.ca. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- Metoprolol Tartrate 100 mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]
- Micardis 20 mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 27 May 2022]