Tegrital Cr 300mg Tablet
Tegrital Cr 300 MG Description
Tegrital CR 300 tablet is an anti-epileptic medicine. It is used to manage various types of seizures/fits. It is also used to treat a painful condition called trigeminal neuralgia. Epilepsy is a cond
ition where there are brief occurrences of loss or disturbance of consciousness with or without convulsions. These episodes (seizures/fits) are unpredictable and their occurrence does not have a fixed pattern. Tegrital CR 300 tablet has an active component called carbamazepine that helps to prevent the occurrence of seizures/fits in some forms of epilepsy. Take this medicine in the exact dose and duration as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more than the recommended dose. Do not stop taking this medicine on your own. Before starting Tegrital CR 300 tablet, inform the doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or breastfeeding and about your detailed medical history.
Uses of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- Tegrital CR 300 tablet is used for the management of various types of seizures/fits.
- It is also used to treat a painful condition called trigeminal neuralgia.
Contraindications of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- If you are allergic to carbamazepine or any other ingredient of Tegrital CR 300 tablet.
- If you are allergic to tricyclic antidepressants such as clomipramine, imipramine, amitriptyline, nortriptyline, doxepin. Ask your doctor what these medicines are if you are not sure.
- If you have a type of heart block known as an atrioventricular block (AV block).
- If you have had a history of bone marrow depression (decreased number of those cells in the bone marrow that can develop into all types of blood cells).
- If you have a history of porphyrias of the liver.
- If you are taking medicines called monoamine oxidase inhibitors like selegiline, rasagiline, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine. IF you are not sure what these medicines are, please confirm with your doctor....
Side effects of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- Red itchy skin bumps
Precautions and Warnings of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have a history of bone marrow depression.
- You have or have a history of any kind of liver or kidney disease.
- You have any kind of heart disease.
- You have thyroid disorders and take medicines for them.
- You have taken medicines called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) within the last 14 days.
- If you develop symptoms like skin rashes, itchy bumps, mouth sores, blistering or peeling of the skin, yellowing of the skin and eyes, severe weakness, severe muscle pain, unusual bruising or bleeding, frequent infections that do not go away, fever, trouble swallowing or breathing, tiny pinpoint red to purple spots on your skin. These may indicate serious problems in your liver or blood cells....
- You develop signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction to the medicine (fever, rashes, weakness, red itchy skin bumps, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sleepiness, impaired coordination, swelling, decrease in white blood cells count)....
- You are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon.
- You are a woman and do not use an effective method of contraception or use oral hormonal contraceptives.
- You experience an increase in the frequency of seizures after taking Tegrital CR 300 tablet.
Mode of Action of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
How Does It Work?
- In epilepsy, there is the repetitive firing of the nerves which causes the signals between the nerves to be disrupted. This causes disturbance of consciousness (seizures/fits) with or without convulsions. ...
- Tegrital CR 300 tablet stabilizes these nerves and prevents their repetitive firing. It also decreases the production of certain chemicals that are responsible for the excitement of the nerves. Thus, this medicine prevents the occurrence of seizures/fits in patients with epilepsy....
Directions for Use of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- Take Tegrital CR 300 tablet as a whole with sufficient water.
- Always take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not cut, break, or chew the medicine.
- Do not consume more than the prescribed dose.
- Do not discontinue the medicine on your own without consulting your doctor.
Interactions of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Tegrital CR 300 tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Care should be taken when Tegrital CR 300 tablet is taken along with medicines used to treat bacterial infections (erythromycin, clarithromycin), medicines used to treat fungal infections (ketoconazole, itraconazole), medicines used to manage heart-related chest pain (verapamil, diltiazem), anti-HIV medicines (ritonavir), antitubercular medicines (rifampicin), barbiturates, and other anti-epileptic medicines)....
- This medicine may reduce the effect of oral hormonal contraceptives and lead to failure of contraception. Women of childbearing potential should be advised to use other effective methods of contraception....
- Tegrital CR 300 divitab interacts with monoamine oxidase inhibitors like selegiline, rasagiline, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine and should not be taken together.
- Special attention must be paid to combinations of Tegrital CR 300 tablet with levetiracetam, isoniazid, lithium, diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide) and direct-acting anticoagulants (rivaroxaban, dabigatran, apixaban, edoxaban)....
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- Store Tegrital CR 300 tablets in a cool and dry place below 30°C away from direct sunlight.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Tegrital Cr 300 MG
- Symptoms of overdose of Tegrital CR 300 tablet include confusion, sleepiness, blurred vision, slurred speech, lack of muscle coordination, fainting, vomiting.
- If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
- You should never miss your dose of medicines as it may lead to complications associated with the disease.
- However, if you missed any dose of Tegrital CR 300 tablet, take it as soon as you remember.
- If it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
- Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What time during the day should I take Tegrital CR 300 tablet?
Q: Can I stop taking Tegrital CR 300 tablet if I do not have seizures anymore?
Q: Can I take Tegrital CR 300 tablet along with my other regular medicines?
Q: How much time does Tegrital CR 300 tablet take initially to show its effect on the body?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 17 October 2022]
- Tegretol 200mg Prolonged Release Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 17 October 2022]
- Tegretol® -XR (carbamazepine extended-release tablets) [Internet]. Novartis.us. 2022 [cited 17 October 2022]
- Carbamazepine Sandoz retard tablet 400, prolonged release tablet 400 mg [Internet]. Mri.cts-mrp.eu. 2022 [cited 17 October 2022]
- Carbamazepine: medicine to treat epilepsy and nerve pain [Internet]. nhs.uk. 2022 [cited 17 October 2022]