Setral 100mg Tablets
Setral 100 MG Description
Setral 100 mg tablet is an antipsychotic medicine belonging to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) group of medicines. The active ingredient in Setral 100 mg tablets is Sertraline. I
t is a prescription medicine used in the treatment of depression and anxiety-related conditions like obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. Depression is a mental health disorder characterised by persistently depressed or low mood and feelings of sadness or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life. Multiple brain pathways and chemical messengers are indicated in depression, chiefly serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Anxiety is a condition characterised by a sense of impending danger, tension, unrealistic worry, trouble concentrating, panic, feeling weak or tired, overthinking about anything with little or no reason. Anxiety can present with increased heart rate, sweating, restlessness, trembling, increased rate of breathing, etc. Panic disorder is also a type of anxiety disorder with a feeling of loss of control and fear. Additionally, uses of Setral 100 mg tablets include treatment for premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMS) (depression and irritability before menstrual period in women) and mood changes in premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Directions for use of Setral 100 mg tablets should be strictly followed. This medication should be taken at the same time every day, with or without food. Regrace Plus tablets are habit-forming, so the prescribed dose should be maintained to avoid an incidence of overdose. Sudden stopping of this medication is not advised. Some common side effects of Setral 100 mg tablets are nausea, indigestion, loss of appetite, increased sweating, tremors, insomnia (difficulty sleeping), and diarrhoea. It is important to inform the treating doctor of all medicines taken for any chronic illnesses, as some can alter Setral 100 mg tablets' blood levels. Pregnant women or those planning to conceive should notify their doctor at the time of prescription of Setral 100 mg tablets.
|You Save||₹10.65 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Depression, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Panic disorder, Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMS), Social anxiety disorder, Mood changes in premenstrual syndrome.|
|Side effects||Headache, Sleeplessness, Agitation, Decreased appetite, Nausea and vomiting, Constipation, Diarrhoea/Loose Stools, Fatigue, Sweating, Impotence, Menstrual disorders, Uncoordinated body movements, Anorgasmia (decreased orgasm), Decreased libido, Delayed ejaculation|
Uses of Setral 100 MG
- Setral 100 mg tablet is used in the treatment of:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD0
- Panic disorder
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMS)
- Anxiety treatment of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
Contraindications of Setral 100 MG
- Do not take Setral 100 mg tablets:
- If you have hypersensitivity or are allergic to sertraline or any of the ingredients of Setral 100 mg tablets
Side effects of Setral 100 MG
- Decreased appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Menstrual disorders
- Uncoordinated body movements
- Anorgasmia (decreased orgasm)
- Decreased libido
- Delayed ejaculation
- The majority of these side effects are self-limiting and go away once the body adjusts to the medicine. However, if they persist or worsen with time, consult your doctor immediately.
Precautions and Warnings of Setral 100 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are on treatment with other antidepressant medications.
- You have a history of medicine or alcohol abuse. Setral 100 mg tablets cause dependency if used for the long term.
- You have diabetes. Setral 100 mg tablets can alter blood sugar levels.
- You had seizures for the first time after starting treatment with Setral 100 mg tablets.
- You take Ayurvedic or herbal supplements like St John's Wort for depression.
- You have planned surgery or a dental procedure.
- You are diagnosed with angle-closure glaucoma (a condition with a severe increase in eye pressure which may lead to a loss of vision).
- You have any suicidal or self-harming thoughts.
- You want to stop using Setral 100 mg tablets. Suddenly stopping this medicine can cause withdrawal symptoms like tremors, sweating, nausea, muscle pain, etc.
Mode of Action of Setral 100 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Setral 100 MG
- Take Setral 100 mg tablets exactly as advised by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage, even if you cannot notice the effects of this medicine.
- Take Setral 100 mg tablets as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break or chew this tablet.
- Take this medicine with or without food.
- Take Setral 100 mg tablets at the same time every day, so a stable level of the medication is maintained in the body.
- This medication may require 3-4 weeks for onset of action and 4-6 weeks before you feel the full benefit. Do not increase the dose without the advice of your treating physician.
- Do not take Setral 100 mg tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Abrupt stoppage of the medicine can cause withdrawal side effects.
Interactions of Setral 100 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Taking Setral 100 mg tablets with opiates or narcotic pain relievers (such as codeine, fentanyl, and tramadol) may reduce the effectiveness of codeine and other opiates.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like phenelzine and selegiline pose the risk of Serotonin Syndrome.
- Medicine used to treat allergies like cetirizine, muscle relaxants like chlorzoxazone, and cold medicine like chlorpheniramine increases the sedative effect of Setral 100 mg tablets.
- Cough medicine like dextromethorphan increases the risk of Serotonin Syndrome.
- Blood thinners and antiplatelet agents like warfarin and aspirin increase bleeding risk.
- Medicine that inhibits the metabolism of Setral 100 mg tablets like erythromycin and cimetidine increases the blood levels of Setral 100 mg tablets.
- Setral 100 mg tablets increase the blood levels of beta-blockers like metoprolol, propranolol, and carvedilol, causing an exaggerated fall in blood pressure.
Interactions with food items
- Avoid caffeine products like cola, coffee, and chocolate while on treatment with Setral 100 mg tablets. These can lead to Serotonin Syndrome, a condition characterised by high fever, agitation, vomiting, nausea, rapid heartbeat, trembling, sweating, and uncoordinated body movements. ...
- Drinking grapefruit juice with Setral 100 mg tablets can amplify its sedative effects.
Storage and disposal of Setral 100 MG
Dosage of Setral 100 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Do Setral 100 mg tablets cause acidity and stomach problems?
Q: Is Setral 100 mg tablet a habit-forming medicine?
Q: Can Setral 100 mg tablets cause weight gain ?
Q: I have been using Setral 100 mg tablets for a few days but do not notice a change. What should I do?
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in [cited 11 Mar 2022]
- Drugs H. Sertraline: MedlinePlus Drug Information. [Internet] medlineplus.gov. [cited 11 Mar 2022]
- ZOLOFT Label ZOLOFT (sertraline hydrochloride). accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 11 Mar 2022]
- Singh HK. Sertraline [Internet]. StatPearls [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine. 2021 [cited 11 Mar 2022]