Risnia 1mg Tablet
Risnia 1 MG Description
Risnia is a prescription medication containing Risperidone. It is used in the treatment of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a disorder where patients have an altered perception of reality that affe
cts the way in which they feel, think, and behave. They can present with hallucinations, delusions, altered perceptions of reality, mood changes, and altered thought patterns. There are certain chemical messengers (neurotransmitters) and pathways in the brain that are thought to produce the symptoms of schizophrenia, chief among which is the hyperactivity of one neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Antipsychotic medications primarily work in decreasing this process, thereby producing relief from symptoms. The medication should be taken as recommended by your treating physician. It is generally advisable to take the tablet at the same time every day as this ensures the best action of the medication, decreasing the chances of relapse of symptoms significantly. It is also recommended to complete the entire course of the medication as prescribed by the treating physician. Abruptly stopping this medicine can cause worsening of symptoms.
Uses of Risnia 1 MG
- As per USFDA, Risnia Tablet is indicated for:
- Treatment of Schizophrenia in adults and adolescents (manages both positive and negative symptoms like hallucination, delusions, lack of pleasure, memory problems, cognitive problems, etc.)
- Short-term treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with Bipolar Disorder in adults, children and adolescents aged 10-17 years
- The treatment of irritability associated with autistic disorder in children and adolescents aged 5-16 years
Contraindications of Risnia 1 MG
- If you are allergic to any component of Risnial Tablet.
- If you are an elderly patient with dementia-related psychosis. There is an increased risk of death.
- If you are under treatment with other antipsychotic medication.
- If you have neuroleptic malignant syndrome (a neuromuscular disorder).
- If you have tardive dyskinesia (sudden jerky movements).
- If you have diabetes and uncontrolled glucose levels.
- If you have a tumour on your adrenal gland (a condition called pheochromocytoma), or if you have been diagnosed with a prolactin-dependent tumour. This medicine can increase prolactin levels.
- If you have a history of seizure disorder.
- If you have a low white blood cell count (leukopenia or neutropenia).
- If you are using treatment of Parkinson's disease or dementia with Lewy bodies.
Side effects of Risnia 1 MG
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Increased salivation
- Increased appetite
Precautions and Warnings of Risnia 1 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are over 65 years of age
- You have a history of having a stroke
- You have diabetes or hypertension
- You have a history of painful or persistent erection
Mode of Action of Risnia 1 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Risnia 1 MG
- This medication should be taken as prescribed by the treating physician.
- It is recommended to take this medication on a regular schedule. Taking the tablet at the same time every day is advisable to get the optimal effects and reduce the chances of side effects.
- Swallow this medication as a whole. Do not crush, chew, or break this tablet.
- Abrupt stoppage of the medicine can cause withdrawal side effects. Consult your doctor before stopping this medication.
- Driving/use of heavy machinery is not advised while using this medication.
- Inform your doctor regarding other medications you may be taking in order to review and prevent any medicine interaction associated effects.
Interactions of Risnia 1 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- It should not be used with certain antihypertensive medications (used to lower blood pressure).
- It should not be used with levodopa (used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease).
- It should not be combined with other antipsychotics or antidepressants.
Interactions with food items
- There is no information available on the interaction of food with Rispernia tablets. You can take this tablet before or after consuming a meal.
Storage and disposal of Risnia 1 MG
Dosage of Risnia 1 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I started using a Risnia tablet. After taking it, I feel very uncomfortable eating food. I get nauseous and don't feel hungry. What should I do?
Q: My doctor told me that I might have to take a Risnia tablet for several months. Is this safe?
Q: I have been taking Risnia for a few weeks. Recently I was diagnosed with hypertension. Can I take both tablets together?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 28]. Available from:
- RISPERDAL® (risperidone) tablets, RISPERDAL® (risperidone) oral solution, RISPERDAL® M-TAB® . Accessdata. FDA. gov (risperidone) orally disintegrating tablets [cited 2022 Feb 28]. Available from:
- McNeil SE, Gibbons JR, Cogburn M. Risperidone. [Updated 2022 Jan 21]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: