Risdone Mt 0.5mg Tablet
Risdone Mt 0.5 MG Description
Risdone Mt Tablet treats mental illnesses like schizophrenia and mania. It contains Risperidone, which belongs to a group of medicines called anti-psychotics. Schizophrenia is a severe mental illn
ess that affects how people feel, think, and behave. It is characterised by feelings and thoughts that seem out of reality. A patient of schizophrenia often experiences symptoms of delusions, hallucinations (perceptions of things that do not exist in reality), disorganised speech, abnormal behaviour and decreased participation in daily activities. Mania is a psychological condition characterised by elated and intense mood, flight of ideas, hyperactivity, strange behaviour and delusions (a false belief based on an incorrect interpretation of reality. Mania can be dangerous at times and needs to be adequately treated. Risdone Mt Tablet should be taken in dosage and duration as advised by your doctor. Your doctor will adjust or decrease your dose based on your condition. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without consulting your doctor, as it can cause clinical worsening of your condition. Consult your doctor before you completely stop taking this medicine. Risdone Mt Tablet should be used with caution in elderly individuals as there is an increased risk of incidence of cerebrovascular incidents in them during the treatment. You should avoid consumption of alcohol if you are on treatment with Risdone Mt Tablet, as it would make you drowsy.
|You Save||₹4.57 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Schizophrenia, treatment of manic episodes of Bipolar disorders, treatment of irritability in autistic disorders.|
|Side effects||Drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, anxiety, depression, parkinsonism, abdominal pain, dry mouth and akathisia.|
Uses of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
- Treatment of manic episodes of bipolar disorders
- Short term treatment of aggression in patients of Alzheimer’s dementia
- Treatment of irritability in autistic disorders (neurodevelopmental disorders that are characterised by difficulty with social communication and social interaction)
Contraindications of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
- If you are allergic to Risperidone or any of the ingredients of Risdone Mt Tablet
Side effects of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
- Changes in sleep pattern
- Blurred vision
- Parkinsonism (motor syndrome that manifests as rigidity, tremors)
- Decreased blood counts
- Akathisia (characterised by muscle twitches, restlessness and inability to sit still)
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
Precautions and Warnings of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You’re allergic to Risperidone or any of the ingredients of Risdone Mt Tablet
- You are pregnant or planning to conceive
- You experience any excessive drowsiness or tiredness
- You’re on any medication that can interact with Risdone Mt Tablet
- You notice any changes in blood pressure after starting Risdone Mt Tablet
- You notice any changes in blood sugar levels after starting Risdone Mt Tablet
- You gain weight after starting Risdone Mt Tablet
- You notice a fall in blood cell count after starting Risdone Mt Tablet
- You notice breast swelling or soreness, unusual breast milk production or missed a period
- You are already on treatment with Risdone Mt Tablet and have plans to conceive
- You experience any lightheadedness when you get up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- You experience abnormal muscle movements or tremors after starting Risdone Mt Tablet
- You want to stop taking Risdone Mt Tablet
Mode of Action of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
- Risdone Mt Tablet should be used as advised by your doctor.
- The tablet should be swallowed whole along with a glass of water.
- You should not break or chew Risdone Mt Tablet.
- Risdone Mt Tablet can be taken with or without food.
- Risdone Mt Tablet should be taken at a fixed time every day to maintain a constant level of medicine in the body and achieve the desired clinical effect.
- You should continue taking Risdone Mt Tablet as per your doctor's recommendation.
Interactions of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Antihistamines like Cetirizine - increased risk of sedation
- Antihypertensives like Telmisartan and others - increase in hypotensive effect of antihypertensive medicine
- Psychostimulants (e.g. Methylphenidate) - can lead to extrapyramidal symptoms like movement disorders, Parkinsonism
- Antimalarials (like Quinine and Mefloquine) - can lead to changes in the rhythm of the heart.
- Diuretic medicines that decrease blood potassium levels (e.g. Aldosterone, Spironolactone) - leads to changes in electrolyte levels
- Antifungals like Itraconazole - increase the plasma concentrations of Risperidone, leading to an increased incidence of side effects
- Tricyclic antidepressants like Amitriptyline - increase the plasma concentrations of Risperidone
- Antiepileptics like Carbamazepine - decrease the plasma concentrations of Risperidone
- Benzodiazepines like Alprazolam, Midazolam - increased risk of sedation
Interactions with food items
- After oral administration, absorption of Risdone Mt Tablet is not affected by food. No interaction with food has been found.
Storage and disposal of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
Dosage of Risdone Mt 0.5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I am a diabetic patient. Should I do any regular blood investigations?
Q: I am an elderly individual on antihypertensive medications. What precautions should I take?
Q: I want to start exercises for body fitness. What precautions should I take?
- Hodkinson, A., Heneghan, C., Mahtani, K.R. et al. Benefits and harms of Risperidone and Paliperidone for treatment of patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder: a meta-analysis involving individual participant data and clinical study reports. BMC Med 19, 195 (2021). [cited 2022 Feb 19] Available from:
- Risperidone 0.5 mg Tablets [Internet]. Org.uk. [cited 2022 Feb 19]. Available from:
- Fda.gov. [cited 2022 Feb 18]. Available from: