Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet
Provanol Sr 40 MG Description
Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet contains Propranolol as its active ingredient. This medicine is used to treat and prevent heart-related conditions such as high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, chest pai
n due to heart condition, heart attack and other conditions. It works by relaxing the blood vessels, which slows down the pulse, thereby improving the blood flow and decreasing the blood pressure. This medicine should be used under medical prescription and for the duration, it is prescribed. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
|You Save||₹4.82 (15% on MRP)|
Uses of Provanol Sr 40 MG
- Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet is used for the treatment of high blood pressure, irregular heart rhythm, Pheochromocytoma (a rare tumour of the adrenal gland situated above kidneys) and Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis (a disorder of heart muscle)....
- It is also used for the prevention of angina attacks (chest pain due to heart condition), myocardial infarction (heart attack), tremors and migraine.
Contraindications of Provanol Sr 40 MG
- If you are allergic to Propranolol or any other constituents of Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet.
- If you have asthma, lung or airway disorders.
- If you have low blood pressure, blockage in the heart and slow heartbeats (bradycardia).
- If you experience low blood glucose very often.
- If you have blood circulation issues and electrolyte imbalance.
- If you have an untreated tumour of the adrenal gland or a condition Prinzmetal's angina.
- Do not take this medicine after prolonged fasting.
Side effects of Provanol Sr 40 MG
- Sleep disturbances
- Increased heartbeats
- Cold hands and feet
Precautions and Warnings of Provanol Sr 40 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have any problems with your heart.
- You have kidney or liver-related diseases.
- You have blood circulation problems.
- You have muscle weakness.
- You have a history of allergic reactions.
- You have an overactive thyroid gland.
- You have cold sensations in fingers and toes.
- You have skin conditions like itchy dry patches on the skin.
- You smoke and drink very often.
- You are above 65 years.
Mode of Action of Provanol Sr 40 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Provanol Sr 40 MG
Interactions of Provanol Sr 40 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant use of this medicine with medicines to treat irregular heartbeat and adrenaline (Epinephrine) may cause high blood pressure or slow heartbeats. Therefore, it should be avoided.
- Antimigraine medicines such as Ergotamine and Rizatriptan should be taken with a gap of a minimum of 2 hours with Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet.
- Concomitant use of Propranolol with medicines to treat heart diseases like Verapamil, Diltiazem and Nifedipine should be avoided as it may lead to abnormal heart rhythm, low blood pressure, slow heartbeats and heart failure....
- Concomitant use of Propranolol with anaesthetics may cause fast heartbeats and may also increase the risk of high blood pressure and thus should be used with caution.
- This medicine, if taken along with other antihypertensive medicines can lead to a sudden drop in blood pressure.
- Concomitant use of anti-inflammatory medicines like Indomethacin and Ibuprofen may decrease the effect of Propranolol.
- Concomitant use along with medicines used to treat brain-related disorders like Fluvoxamine and Imipramine may cause slow heartbeats.
- Other medicines like Lidocaine, Warfarin, Phenobarbital, Mephobarbital, Chlorpromazine, Cimetidine, Hydralazine, Imipramine, Rifampicin, Theophylline, Insulin and Digoxin used to treat heart failure should be used cautiously along with Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet....
- Do not smoke or consume tobacco as may cause an increase in heart rate and may impair blood pressure control.
Storage and disposal of Provanol Sr 40 MG
- Store Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet below 25°C in a clean and dry place.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets.
Dosage of Provanol Sr 40 MG
- Excess of this medicine can have deadly effects and may lead to a heart attack. The overdose symptoms are slow heartbeats, low blood pressure, fits, heart diseases, difficulty in breathing, drowsiness, dilated pupils, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, hallucinations, body pain, fainting or coma....
- If you experience any of these symptoms or think you have taken an excessive dose of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
- Missing a dose of antihypertensives may lead to high blood pressure and other heart-related complications. If you miss any dose of medicine, take it as soon as you remember.
- If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of this tablet to compensate for the missed one.
Dr. Nikita Toshi
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop taking Provanol Sr 40mg Tablet on my own?
- No, you should not stop taking this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- If you stop the medication suddenly, you may suffer from severe heart-related and blood pressure problems.
- Your doctor will reduce the dose gradually over weeks before stopping it.