Oxmazetol Er 600mg Tablet
Oxmazetol Er 600 MG Description
Oxmazetol Er Tablet contains oxcarbazepine as its active ingredient. It is used for the treatment of epilepsy or seizures, especially partial seizures and their complications. It decreases the electr
ical activity in the brain and decreases the frequency of seizures. It should be taken as directed by the doctor and in doses and duration as prescribed. Do not stop Oxmazetol Er without doctor's advice as it may increase the chances of convulsions. Your doctor may advise different blood tests before and during treatment with this medicine. Before using the Oxmazetol Er Tablet, inform the doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about your detailed medical history.
Uses of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
Contraindications of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
Side effects of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
- Weight gain
- Blurred vision
Precautions and Warnings of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
- You should consult your doctor before using Oxmazetol Er as there is limited information about its safety during pregnancy.
- Your doctor will only prescribe you this medicine if considered essential after assessing the benefits over risks.
- Proper birth control measures should be taken while on treatment with this medicine.
Other General Warnings
- You have any problems with your liver.
- You have any kidney problems, especially associated with low sodium levels in the blood. (Your doctor may start treatment with half the normal starting dose and may slowly increase the dose.)
- You are taking any other medicine which can decrease blood sodium levels like Indomethacin, Ibuprofen.
- You suffer from any heart problems like heart rhythm issues, pumping problems (difficulty in breathing, swelling of ankles).
- You have an allergy to any other medicine used for seizures.
- You are using hormonal contraceptives.
- You have ulcers in the mouth, throat, nose, genitals and conjunctivitis (red and swollen eyes).
- You notice an increase in the frequency of seizures.
- You are suffering from conditions like lactose intolerance.
- You develop any allergic reaction after taking Oxmazetol Er.
Mode of Action of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
How Does It Work?
- Normally in the brain, the electrical activity is going on in a controlled manner. When there is an imbalance in this electrical activity, it becomes uncontrolled. That produces symptoms like muscle tightening, unusual head movements, blank stares, moving of eyes side to side, numbness, tingling or hallucinations (seeing, smelling or hearing things that are not actually present). ...
- Oxcarbazepine in Oxmazetol Er helps in controlling electrical activity in the brain and decreases the frequency of seizures.
Directions for Use of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
Interactions of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Oxmazetol Er Tablet works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking other medicines to treat fits like Phenobarbital, Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Lamotrigine and Valproic acid.
- Hormonal contraceptives, when used with this medicine, decrease the effectiveness of contraceptive medicines; thus, your doctor may advise you to try other forms of contraception.
- Lithium and MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors), like Phenelzine and Moclobemide, (these medicines are used to treat mental illness).
- Concomitant use of Oxmazetol Er Tablet and medicines that can lower sodium levels in the blood like diuretics (used to treat high blood pressure), desmopressin (used for bedwetting) and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (pain killers) can lower the sodium levels in your blood further which may lead to symptoms of sodium shortage. ...
- Medicines to decrease the body’s immune system (immunosuppressants) such as ciclosporin, tacrolimus (used to prevent organ transplantation) and Rifampicin (an antibiotic used for the treatment of tuberculosis) when used together with this medicine can alter the effect of this medicine....
Storage and disposal of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
- Keep Oxmazetol Er Tablet out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date.
- Store below 30°C in the original package.
- Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.
Dosage of Oxmazetol Er 600 MG
- Symptoms of overdose include low levels of sodium in the blood, anger, agitation, being confused, drowsiness or sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, fast and irregular heartbeats, shaking, seizures/convulsions, headache, coma, loss of consciousness, uncontrolled twitching or jerking, double or blurred vision, narrowing of the pupil, low blood pressure, shortness of breath, an abnormal degree of muscular or bodily activity, lack of coordination of movements and uncontrolled eye movements. ...
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of the symptoms or feel you have taken too much of Oxmazetol Er Tablet.
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the use of Oxmazetol Er Tablet?
Q: Does Oxmazetol Er cause sleep?
Q: Is Oxmazetol Er a steroid?
- Trileptal 150 mg Film-coated tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 16 May 2022]
- Trileptal 150 mg Film-coated tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 16 May 2022]
- Oxcarbazepine - CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 16 May 2022]