Mefnol 250mg Tab
By KNOLL HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Price to be Updated
Non ReturnableRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Mefnol Tablet is used to provide relief from pain and inflammation of joints, bones, post-surgery and menstrual cycle. This medicine also reduces abdominal cramps during menses. Mefnol Tablet contains
mefenamic acid as its active ingredient. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medicine. Take this medicine as advised by your doctor....
Uses of Mefnol 250mg Tab
- Mefnol Tablet is used for pain relief such as pain related to joints, toothache, injury and muscle pain.
- It is also useful in relieving pain and cramps during the menstrual cycle.
Contraindications of Mefnol 250mg Tab
- If you are allergic to this mefenamic acid or any of the ingredient of Mefnol Tablet
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease, ulcers in stomach or intestine
- If you have or ever had problems of intestinal bleeding or stomach ulcers with or without the use of painkillers
- If your heart, liver or kidneys are not working properly or you have any health condition related to these organs
- If you have a history of allergic reaction like breathing problem and skin allergy upon using painkillers like aspirin or Ibuprofen
- This medicine should not be used for the pain after bypass surgery of the heart and in pregnant women during the third trimester
Side effects of Mefnol 250mg Tab
- Stomach discomforts
Precautions and Warnings of Mefnol 250mg Tab
Can I take Mefnol Tablet during pregnancy?
It is advised not to take this medicine during pregnancy especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It may affect the fetus adversely. It can also prolong or delay the labour, increase the risk of bleeding. If you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant, discontinue the treatment and seek medical help for a safer alternative immediately.
Can I take Mefnol Tablet while breastfeeding?
It passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Thus, it should not be taken by breastfeeding women. Your doctor may prescribe you with some safer alternative or if it is really necessary for your health condition, you may be asked to discontinue breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Mefnol Tablet?
You may experience dizziness, visual disturbance, spinning head, drowsiness after taking this medicine. So, it is advised to be careful and cautious while driving and operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Mefnol Tablet?
You should avoid consuming alcohol along with this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have breathing-related disorder or asthma. You are prone to seasonal allergies, rhinitis and other lung and throat problems, need to be very cautious
- You are suffering from a heart problem, liver or kidney problem, or if you are taking water pills, the doctor may ask to monitor kidney function tests
- You are suffering from high blood pressure or heart problem, close monitoring of heart parameters are required during the treatment
- You experience stomach pain, bleeding in vomiting or black colored stools, then immediately inform your doctor
- You may develop skin allergies like skin rashes, itching, papules, blisters, etc
- You are suffering from autoimmune disorder, systemic lupus erythematosus or you have a problem of fits, caution is advised
- You have high blood pressure and heart problem or any risk which can give heart problems like diabetes and high cholesterol as you may experience swelling and water retention during the treatment
- Caution is needed in elderly, use only for the number of days advised by your doctor.
- Mefnol Tablet can impair with fertility, so it is not recommended for the women trying to conceive or taking any treatment for it
Mode of Action of Mefnol 250mg Tab
How Does It Work?
Mefnol Tablet works by interfering with the production of a chemical called prostaglandins, which is responsible for the inflammation, swelling and sensation of pain.
Directions for Use of Mefnol 250mg Tab
- Take this medicine as a whole with a sufficient amount of water
- Take the medicine as instructed by your doctor and don't change doses of this medicine without consulting the doctor
Interactions of Mefnol 250mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Mefenamic acid may enhance the effect of oral anticoagulants like warfarin, close monitoring of bleeding parameters is advised
- Medicine containing lithium used to treat the mental condition if taken along can lead to lithium toxicity
- Concomitant use of other painkillers is not advised as it can increase the side effects of this medicine
- Medicines such as steroids, antidepressants, medicines to stop blood clotting and pain killers should not be used simultaneously as there is increased risk of stomach and intestinal bleeding
- You may experience fits upon concomitant use of antibiotics like Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin with this medicine
- There should be a minimum gap of 10-12 days use between the use of Mifepristone and this medicine as it can reduce the effect of Mifepristone
- Medicine like Digoxin used for heart failure should not be used along as Mefenamic acid can induce heart failure and reduce the effectiveness of heart failure medicine
- Medicines like Methotrexate, Ciclosporin, Tacrolimus and some hypertension medicines (furosemide) increase the risk of kidney damage when taken with this medicine
- Other medicines like Probenecid, Zidovudine and oral anti-diabetic medicine should be used cautiously
Storage and disposal of Mefnol 250mg Tab
- Store the medicine below 25°C
- Keep it out of the reach of children
Dosage of Mefnol 250mg Tab
Symptoms of overdose include diarrhoea, drowsiness, ringing sound in ears, headache, nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, mental confusion, excitation, coma, drowsiness, tinnitus, fainting and occasiona
lly fits. If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital...
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not take a double dose to compen
sate for the missed dose....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is this medicine addictive?
A: No, this medicine is not addictive.
Q: Can Mefnol Tablet be taken for fever?
A: No, this is a pain killer medicine and used to relieve mild to moderate pain.
Q: What is Mefnol Tablet used for?
A: It is used to relieve mild to moderate pain in adults. Mefnol Tablet is used for tooth pain, pain due to sports injury, muscle pain, back pain, migraine & pain and cramps associated with periods.
Q: Can I take Mefnol Tablet on empty stomach?
A: No, you should take this medicine preferably after meals to avoid any stomach discomforts.
Q: Can Mefnol Tablet relieve my toothache?
A: Mefnol Tablet can be used for toothache if prescribed by your doctor. Do not self-medicate.
Q: Does Mefnol Tablet make me sleepy?
A: Yes, Mefnol Tablet may cause sleepiness, make you feel dizzy and weak. Avoid driving or performing activities that require mental alertness
Q: Does Mefnol Tablet stop the menstrual bleeding?
A: Mefnol Tablet is a pain killer, and it has no role in menstrual bleeding. It is essentially helpful in relieving pain and cramps during the menstrual cycle. It functions by blocking the production of a substance prostaglandin which is responsible for generating pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Ponstan Capsules 250mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- Mefenamic Acid [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- Mefal-500 Tablet [Internet]. Bluecross laboratories. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
Last Updated on: 20 May 2021 | 08:39 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved