Isordil 5mg Tablet
Isordil 5 MG Description
Isordil 5 tablet is used for the management of angina, a condition characterised by severe pain in the chest, which can also radiate towards the neck, shoulders and arms. It contains isosorbide dinit
rate as its active ingredient. Take this medicine as advised by your doctor and you need to follow all the instructions. You should inform your doctor about all the medicines, herbs and supplements you take and all the medical conditions or diseases you suffer from.
Uses of Isordil 5 MG
Contraindications of Isordil 5 MG
- If you are allergic to isosorbide dinitrate or any other ingredients of this medicine.
- If you have low blood pressure or bleeding problems.
- If you have blood circulating issues or disturbances like shock.
- If you feel dehydrated, nauseated or have diarrhoea.
- If you have heart problems where isosorbide dinitrate should not be used such as heart valve problems, inflammation of the heart surface and fluid accumulation surrounding the heart.
- If you have increased eye pressure (glaucoma).
- If you have a disease of thyroid hormone disturbance.
- If you have progressive heart failure associated with a lung problem.
- If you are using medicines like sildenafil or tadalafil which potentiates or increases the blood pressure lowering effects of Isordil.
Side effects of Isordil 5 MG
- Low blood pressure
- Increased heartbeats
Precautions and Warnings of Isordil 5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have an increase in eye pressure (glaucoma), bleeding problem, thyroid hormone disturbance, liver or kidney problem.
- You have problems with your heart or may have damaged the heart.
- You have a deficiency of glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD).
- You have hypertension and are taking anti-hypertensive medicines, caution is needed as severe fall in blood pressure can occur.
- You have a history of head injury or you are suffering from psychiatric illness.
- You are malnourished or have a sudden drop in body temperature.
- Do not use any medicines for erectile dysfunction like Sildenafil, Tadalafil when you are using Isordil 5 tablets as it can cause a severe fall in blood pressure which can be life-threatening.
- Never stop this medicine abruptly, if you are facing any issues, talk to your doctor as he/she may gradually decrease the dose before stopping.
Mode of Action of Isordil 5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Isordil 5 MG
- Always take Isordil 5 tablets strictly as per the advice of your doctor.
- Put Isordil mouth dissolving tablet under your tongue and let the medicine dissolve locally. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
- Alternatively, you may take the tablet with a sufficient amount of water only if advised by your doctor.
- You should take this medicine regularly, at the same time and without fail as directed by your doctor.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Isordil 5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Isordil 5 tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Isordil tablet use along with other blood pressure-lowering medicines like noradrenaline, may potentiate their effects. It can cause severe fall in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fainting and dizziness....
- Caution should be executed if you are using Nifedipine for high blood pressure as the blood pressure can drop drastically.
- Concomitant use of Isordil 5 tablet along with the medicines used for mental illness like amitriptyline, chlorpromazine may increase the chance of side effects.
- Concomitant use of Isordil 5 tablet with medicines used for erectile dysfunction (sexual problem) like sildenafil or tadalafil, may possibly cause a fall in the blood pressure to a dangerous level and may lead to unconsciousness which could be serious....
Storage and disposal of Isordil 5 MG
- Store Isordil 5 tablet at room temperature in a clean and dry place, protected from moisture, sunlight and heat.
- Keep this medicine away from children and pets.
Dosage of Isordil 5 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Isordil 5 tablet prevent a heart attack?
Q: Can Isordil 5 tablet cause lowering of blood pressure?
Q: Why is Isordil given sublingually?
Q: Is Isordil 5 tablet to be taken at night?
- Isosorbide mononitrate 20mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]
- Isosorbide mononitrate 20mg Tablets - Product Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]
- Angina (Ischemic Chest Pain) [Internet]. WebMD. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]