Imuran 25mg Tablet
25 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
7 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Imuran 25 MG Description
Imuran Tablet is used in the treatment of organ transplants and a few autoimmune diseases. It contains azathioprine as its active medicine. Imuran Tablet reduces the strength of the immune system. Yo
u must use contraceptive methods while taking these Tablets and for up to 3 months after you complete the course of treatment with Imuran Tablet. Avoid if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding. Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight, wear protective clothing and use protective sunscreen with a high protection factor while on this medicine.
|You Save||₹70.50 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Allergic reactions, diarrhoea, swelling and infection in the pancreas|
Check more medicines with composition as Azathioprine(25.0 Mg)
1 Brand Alternate(s)
Contains same composition as Imuran 25mg Tablet
- Azoran 25mg Strip Of 25 TabletsBy Rpg Life Sciences Ltd25 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 208.80₹ 177.48₹ 7.10/Tablet
Uses of Imuran 25 MG
- Imuran Tablet is used in the management of organ transplantation. It helps the body to accept a transplanted organ like kidney, liver, heart, lung or pancreas.
- It is also useful in some autoimmune diseases including severe inflammatory diseases of the skin, liver, arteries and blood disorders.
Contraindications of Imuran 25 MG
- If you are allergic to azathioprine or any other ingredients of Imuran Tablet.
- If you have a severe infection.
- If you have severe liver disease or severe bone marrow disease.
- If you have inflammation of the pancreas.
- If you need or are going to have a vaccination containing a living virus or bacteria, such as BCG, smallpox or yellow fever vaccine.
- If you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Side effects of Imuran 25 MG
- Reduction in the platelet count
- Frequent infections (bacterial, viral and fungal)
- Bone marrow malfunction
- Allergic reactions
- Swelling and infection in the pancreas
Precautions and Warnings of Imuran 25 MG
Can I take Imuran Tablet during pregnancy?
This medicine can pass into the blood of the baby and adversely affect your baby. Hence, it is advisable to not use this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby. You must use contraceptive methods while taking these Tablets and for up to 3 months after you have finished taking them. Discussed with your doctor about suitable methods of contraception. Women using intrauterine devices (IUDs) should use additional contraceptive methods while taking Imuran Tablets.
Can I take the Imuran Tablet while breastfeeding?
Imuran Tablets may pass into the breastmilk and adversely affect your baby so it is advisable to consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding your baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Imuran Tablet?
Imuran Tablet may cause dizziness, tiredness or sickness. Any of these side effects would reduce your ability to react. Hence, do not drive or use machinery if you are taking this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with Imuran Tablet?
Chances of dizziness increase if you take this medicine with alcohol. Even alcohol adds to the side effects related to the liver with concomitant use of this medicine. Hence, avoid using this medicine with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any liver or kidney disease.
- You have a condition where your body produces too little of a natural chemical called thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT).
- You have an infection for which you have not yet received any treatment.
- You are going to have an operation (this is because medicines including tubocurarine, pancuronium or succinylcholine used as muscle relaxants during operations may interact with Azathioprine).
- You have a rare genetic disorder called 'Lesch-Nyhan syndrome'.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight, wear protective clothing and use protective sunscreen with a high protection factor.
- Treatment with Azathioprine increases your risk of getting a specific type of cancer called a lymphoproliferative disorder. With a treatment regimen containing multiple immunosuppressants (including thiopurines), this may lead to death....
- A combination of multiple immunosuppressant medicines, given concomitantly increases the risk of disorders of the lymph system due to viral infection.
- Increased chances of developing a serious condition called Macrophage Activation Syndrome (excessive activation of white blood cells associated with inflammation), which usually occurs in people who have certain types of arthritis....
- Your doctor may advise frequent blood tests and follow up visits during treatment to adjust the dose accordingly.
Mode of Action of Imuran 25 MG
How Does It Work?
When the body receives a transplanted organ, being a foreign organ, the body activates its immune mechanism and tries to reject it. Immunosuppressant medicine inactivates this immune system and helps the body to accept the organs. In some autoimmune diseases, there is severe inflammation of affected organs like skin, arteries, liver, intestine, etc. In such cases, Imuran Tablet also helps the body to decrease the immune system and decrease inflammation....
Directions for Use of Imuran 25 MG
- Take the Imuran Tablet as a whole with a sufficient amount of water. Do not break or chew the medicine.
- Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you.
Interactions of Imuran 25 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Imuran Tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially, if you are taking medicines for gout, immunosuppressant medicines, blood thinner medicines, water pills, antacids and live virus vaccines.
Storage and disposal of Imuran 25 MG
- Keep the Imuran Tablet out of the sight and reach of children and pets.
- Store below 30°C in the original package.
- Discard off the expired and unused medicine appropriately.
Dosage of Imuran 25 MG
You may get a sore throat, fever or infection, bleeding and bone marrow suppression as symptoms of overdose of the Imuran Tablet. Seek immediate medical attention if you have taken too much of this medicine....
Missed a Dose
In case you’ve missed taking any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose. Avoid taking a double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: When to stop Imuran?
A: You should never stop this medicine before doctors advise. Sudden discontinuation may increase the symptoms your doctor may advise frequent blood tests and follow-up visits. After careful examination, he may gradually stop this medicine.
Q: What is the Imuran Tablet used for?
A: Imuran Tablet is used in the management of organ transplantation. It helps the body to accept a transplanted organ like kidney, liver, heart, lung or pancreas. It is also useful in some autoimmune diseases including severe inflammatory diseases of the skin, liver, arteries and blood disorders.
Q: Is Imuran a steroid?
A: No, Imuran is not a steroid. Imuran contains a medicine called Azathioprine. It is an immunosuppressant (reduce immune strength) and useful in some autoimmune diseases including severe inflammatory diseases of the skin, liver, arteries and blood disorders.
- Azathioprine Tablets 50mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]
- Azathioprine Tablets 50mg - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]
Expires on or After
Other Products from this Brand
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed