Flutop 20mg Capsules
Flutop 20 MG Description
Flutop 20mg Cap is an antidepressant medication used to treat major depression, characterised by a persistent sense of melancholy, dissatisfaction, anger, or hopelessness that interferes with daily l
ife. Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia nervosa (eating disorder), and panic disorder are among the other uses of Flutop 20mg Cap. The active ingredient in Flutop 20mg is Fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Fluoxetine causes an increase in serotonin concentrations in the neuron synapse, which aids in mood regulation and depression treatment. It works by preventing nerves from reabsorbing serotonin, a mood-enhancing chemical messenger that communicates between brain cells. Flutop 20mg Cap should be taken as directed by the psychiatrist. It should be continued for as long as the doctor has prescribed it. A few typical side effects of Flutop 20mg include insomnia (difficulty sleeping), headache, diarrhoea, nausea, weariness, dry mouth, loss of appetite, and indigestion. The majority of these side effects do not require medical attention and will go away over time. However, it is best to consult the doctor in case of persistent adverse effects. Sudden stoppage of Flutop 20mg Cap can cause withdrawal symptoms. Pregnant and lactating women should inform the doctor of their status; this medicine is not recommended at this time. Flutop 20mg capsules should not be administered to children under eight.
|You Save||₹6.11 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Anxiety, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic disorder|
|Side effects||Decreased appetite, Restlessness, Anxiety, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Nausea, Weight change, Photosensitivity, Muscle pain, Excessive sweating, Decreased sexual drive|
Uses of Flutop 20 MG
- According to CDSCO, Flutop 20mg capsules are used in the treatment of:
- Major depressive disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Symptoms of panic disorder
Contraindications of Flutop 20 MG
- Do not take Flutop 20mg Cap or use caution:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of the Flutop 20mg Cap; avoid taking it
- If you are diagnosed with bleeding disorders; this medication should be taken with extreme caution
- If you have a history of epilepsy; Flutop 20mg Cap can worsen your condition
- If you have diabetes; avoid taking Flutop 20mg Cap as it can worsen your condition
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma; do not use Flutop 20mg Cap
- If you have hyponatremia; inform your doctor ahead of treatment
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding; do not take Flutop-20 Cap until your doctor asks you to
Side effects of Flutop 20 MG
- Side effects of Flutop 20mg Cap include:
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Frequent urination
- Weight change
- Excessive sweating
- Decreased sexual drive
Precautions and Warnings of Flutop 20 MG
Other General Warnings
- You may lose weight due to an altered appetite from taking Flutop 20mg Cap. Keep track of your weight while on this medication.
- You should not stop Flutop 20 Cap suddenly because it might cause withdrawal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headaches, anxiety, dizziness, sleep difficulties, irritability, and more. To avoid any unwanted side effects, your doctor will gradually reduce the dose of this prescription over time....
- You might experience low sodium (hyponatremia) symptoms from taking Flutop 20mg Cap.
- You should keep a close eye on your blood pressure while using this medication.
- You must closely observe for any changes in your behaviour or mood. If you're having suicidal thoughts or acting out, see your doctor right away.
Mode of Action of Flutop 20 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Flutop 20 MG
- Flutop 20mg Cap should be taken as prescribed by your doctor.
- Based on your medical condition and reaction to therapy, your doctor will determine how long you should take Flutop 20mg Cap.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water; do not chew or crush it.
- If you take Flutop 20mg Cap in liquid form, use the measuring cup included in the carton.
- Follow the instructions on the prescription label.
Interactions of Flutop 20 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Flutop 20mg Cap prevents tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) (amitriptyline, desipramine, imipramine, and nortriptyline) from being metabolised, resulting in raised serum levels; if a combination is needed, a low dose of TCA should be used....
- Flutop 20mg Cap may cause hyponatremia; simultaneous use of a loop diuretic (bumetanide, furosemide, and torsemide) may create additive hyponatremic effects; monitor for hyponatremia.
- Flutop 20mg Cap decreases serotonin reuptake; when taken with a serotonin agonist (buspirone), Serotonin Syndrome can occur.
- Flutop 20mg Cap may block carbamazepine metabolism, leading to higher carbamazepine levels and toxicity.
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Flutop 20mg Cap may be inhibited by cyproheptadine, a serotonin antagonist; watch for an altered antidepressant response.
- Flutop 20mg Cap should not be co-administered with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) or metoprolol.
- Flutop 20mg Cap, when taken with opioid antagonists like buprenorphine or naloxone, increases the risk of Serotonin Syndrome.
Storage and disposal of Flutop 20 MG
Dosage of Flutop 20 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Divya Rohra
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take Flutop 20mg Cap if I have diabetes?
Q: Does Flutop 20mg Cap increase the risk of fractures?
Q: Can I stop taking Flutop 20mg Tab once I start feeling better?
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet] cdscoonline.gov.in [cited 8 Mar 2022] -
- Chaves RG, Lamounier JA. Breastfeeding and maternal medications. J Pediatr (Rio J) [Internet]. 2004. 80(5 Suppl): S189-98. [cited 8 Mar 2022] -
- Fluoxetine Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Warnings [Internet] www.drugs.com [cited 8 Mar 2022]
- Pharmacological Intervention Project (Fluoxetine) [Internet]. clinicaltrials.gov. [cited 8 Mar 2022]
- Fluoxetine 60 mg [Internet]. www.medicines.org.uk [cited 8 Mar 2022] -