Clonil 25mg Tablet
Clonil 25 MG Description
Clonil Tablet is a prescription medicine used for treating obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, and phobic (fear) states. It consists of clomipramine as its active ingredient. It is an antidepr
essant medication. It works by increasing a specific chemical messenger in the brain called serotonin. It is responsible for reducing mood swings and providing a calming effect. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) causes a pattern of repetitive behaviour and unwanted thoughts. Depression is a mood disorder, which causes sad feelings, irritability, loss of interest in anything, etc. There are many kinds of phobic states like fear of flying, heights, agoraphobia (fear of open places and crowds), etc. Clonil Tablet helps stabilise the chemical substances and lower the symptoms of these conditions. Do not use this Clonil Tablet without the advice of a doctor. Do not stop this medicine suddenly, as it can cause withdrawal symptoms like sweating, shaking, irritation, etc. Its usage should be monitored as it can cause suicidal thoughts. Take it at a fixed time each day to maintain stable levels in the body.
|You Save||₹9.34 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Obsessive-compulsive disorder, Phobic states, Depression|
|Side effects||Sleepiness, Dry mouth, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Nervousness, Decreased sexual drive or ability, Decreased concentration and memory|
Uses of Clonil 25 MG
- As per CDSCO, Clonil tablet is used in the
- Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Treatment of phobic states
- Treatment of depression (when sedation is required)
Contraindications of Clonil 25 MG
Side effects of Clonil 25 MG
- Dry mouth
- Decreased sexual drive or ability
- Decreased concentration and memory
Precautions and Warnings of Clonil 25 MG
Other General Warnings
- You experience suicidal thoughts after taking Clonil Tablet.
- You are using tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may reduce the effectiveness of Clonil medication.
- You have a surgery or a dental procedure planned.
- You are an elderly patient over the age of 65. The dose needs to be carefully monitored to prevent excessive side effects.
- You have a history of diabetes, irregular heartbeat, problems with your blood pressure, thyroid problems, etc.
- You have a kidney condition.
- You are using any medicinal herbs or supplements like St. John's wort. It can lead to a serious condition called serotonin syndrome (serotonin toxicity), which can cause life-threatening side effects.
Mode of Action of Clonil 25 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Clonil 25 MG
- Take the Clonil Tablet in the exact dosage and at the same time every day as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage of Clonil Tablet, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Take this tablet as a whole with a glass of water, without breaking, chewing or crushing it.
- Do not use Clonil Tablet with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not discontinue this medication abruptly, as it can have unwanted symptoms due to its withdrawal effects.
Interactions of Clonil 25 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Do not use Clonil Tablet if you are already using other antidepressants like MAO inhibitors such as linezolid, methylene blue, phenelzine, selegiline, etc., as they can lead to severe side effects.
- Do not take other antidepressants with a similar composition like sertraline, fluoxetine, paroxetine, etc. They can exaggerate the side effects of this medicine.
- Do not use this medication with other medicines that cause sedation and drowsiness, like tranquillisers, without consulting a doctor.
- Some of the other medications that can react with Clonil Tablet and cause an adverse reaction are:
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Heart medication like digoxin
- Alcohol dependency medicine - disulfiram
- Anti-seizure medications like phenytoin, phenobarbital
- Oral contraceptive pills
Interactions with food items
- Avoid drinking grapefruit juice and cranberry juice, or eating those fruits, while you are taking Clonil Tablets, as they can increase the levels of this medicine in your blood. It can lead to unwanted adverse effects....
Storage and disposal of Clonil 25 MG
Dosage of Clonil 25 MG
- Overdose of Clonil Tablets can cause symptoms like extreme drowsiness, nausea, irregular or fast heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, seizures, decreased urination, unusual movements, slow breathing, and loss of consciousness. If you experience these symptoms, consult your doctor and seek emergency medical treatment. Medical tests can be performed from time to time to check the progress and monitor adverse effects of this medicine....
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take a Clonil Tablet if I am diabetic?
Q: Can I gain weight while using Clonil Tablet?
- A study has shown that some people gained weight while using Clonil Tablet for a long duration. Try to be more active and eat healthy food, to maintain a stable weight.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. (n.d.). Clomipramine: Medlineplus drug information. MedlinePlus. Retrieved February 17, 2022, from
- Clomipramine [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 2022 Feb 17]. Available from:
- Mumoli N;Cocciolo M;Vitale J;Mantellassi M;Sabatini S;Gambaccini L;Cei M; Diabetes mellitus associated with clomipramine treatment: A retrospective analysis [Internet]. Acta diabetologica. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Feb 17]. Available from:
- F; MGAUSVB. Weight gain during long-term treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder: A prospective comparison between serotonin reuptake inhibitors [Internet]. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Feb 17]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 17]. Available from: