Atocor 20 Strip Of 14 Tablets
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
14 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Atocor 20 Tab 14'S is a hypolipidemic medicine that belongs to the statin family of medicines. It regulates and manages the levels of bad cholesterol, also called low-density lipoprotein, in the body. The generic name of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S is atorvastatin.
Uses of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
The uses of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S are for the regulation and control of elevated levels of cholesterol, triglycerides and low-density lipoproteins (LDLs) in the body. It is also used in the prevention and control of stroke in individuals with heart diseases.
Contraindications of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
- Liver diseases like hepatitis or jaundice
- Abnormal liver function tests
- On the prescription of glecaprevir/pibrentasvir used for the treatment for liver diseases
- Allergy to this medicine or any other medicine of statin class
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women or women who are planning to start a family
Side effects of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
- Common side effects of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S are diarrhoea, joint pain, myalgia, headache, nausea, constipation, throat pain, nasal bleeding, backache and abnormal liver function tests
- Rare side effects of this medicine are lack of appetite, allergic reactions, rash, itching, inability to sleep, nightmares, dizziness, numbness or tingling in fingers or feeling unwell/tired
- Serious side effects of this medicine can lead to abnormal muscle breakdown. Immediately contact the doctor if you experience severe muscle pain, soreness, dark colour urine, peeling and swelling of the skin, fever, skin rashes, blisters over skin, eyes and genitalsread less
Precautions and Warnings of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
Can I take the medicine during pregnancy?
This medicine is unsafe during pregnancy, so do not take it if your are pregnant or planning to conceive. If you are on the prescription of this medicine and of child-bearing age, you need to consult your doctor for effectual conceptive methods.
Can I take the medicine while breastfeeding?
It is not safe to take this medication during breastfeeding as it can cause adverse effects the medicine. Kindly consult your doctor for an alternative to this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
Driving is not affected by the administration of this medicine. It is safe to drive during the prescribed period of this medication.
Can I consume alcohol with this medicine?
Excessive consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine could cause the inflammation of the liver, thereby increasing the risk of liver damage. So avoid the high intake of alcohol while taking this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You were prescribed fusidic acid in last seven days for the treatment of any bacterial infection
- You are suffering from kidney problems and muscle aches
- Any of your family members has ever complained of muscle problems
- You consume large amount of alcohol on a daily basis
- You have a past history of muscle problems while taking lipid-lowering medications
Mode of Action of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
How Does It Work?
The composition of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S causes the inhibition of the action of enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which is responsible for the production of cholesterol. While assisting in lowering the increased levels of cholesterol and bad cholesterol (low-density lipoproteins), it also increases the good cholesterol levels known as high-density lipoproteins (HDL).
Directions for Use of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
Take the whole tablet with water at a fixed time each day. It can be consumed with food or without food.
Interactions of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
Interactions with other medicines
- This medicine should be avoided during the prescription period of other cholesterol-lowering medicines like gemfibrozil, colestipol or ezetimibe as combination of both increases the risk of muscle breakdownread less
- The medicine should not be taken along with fusidic acid or within seven days of stopping fusidic acid due to the risk of muscle breakdown
- Lipid levels needs to be monitored to ensure the lowest required dosage of the medicine when given along with amiodarone, diltiazem or verapamil
- Some antifungal medicines like itraconazole, voriconazole, ketoconazole and antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, telithromycin and immunosuppressants like cyclosporine, and antiretroviral medicines like ritonavir, lopinavir, atazanavir, indinavir, darunavir and tipranavir can lead to serious side effects by raising the blood concentration of this medicineread less
- Medicine used for treating hepatitis C like glecaprevir and pibrentasvir should not be taken with this medicine
Interactions with food items
Limit the intake of grapefruit juice (its extracts and derivatives too) during the tenure of this medicine. A low-fat diet would be helpful with this medicine in the regulation of cholesterol levels.
Other general Interactions
Individuals with a family history of muscular complications like rhabdomyolysis and kidney and liver disorders are urged to apprise the doctor about their respective conditions before getting a prescription of this medicine. Pregnant and breastfeeding women are also advised to choose an alternative medicine.
Storage and disposal of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
The medicine needs to be stored at the ambient room temperature between 20 and 22°C, far away from any direct source of moisture, heat or sunlight and reach of the children. Standard methods should be followed in the disposal of this medicine.
Dosage of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S
An overdose of Atocor 20 Tab 14'S can lead to pain in joints, muscle ache, diarrhoea, nausea, insomnia, fever and urinary tract infection. These symptoms should be immediately reported to your doctor.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose can be taken at the earliest when it is remembered. If it is nearly the time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take the doses in excess to make up for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What precautions are necessary while taking this medicine?
A: Apart from taking medication to regulate the levels of cholesterol in the body, regular exercise and abstaining a fat-rich diet are mandatory to get the maximum benefits of the medicine.
Q: How can I remember to take medicine everyday?
A: This medication is supposed to be taken at the same time daily. A daily reminder on the phone/clock would be helpful in maintaining the schedule. Also, you may schedule your medicine timing with some regular activity like after dinner or brushing teeth at night. Keeping the tablets in a pillbox near other important things can serve as a reminder to take the medicine.
A: What should I discuss with my physician before starting treatment with this medicine?
A: Inform the doctor whether you have any pre-existing liver or kidney conditions. Also, report to the doctor whether you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have plans to start a family.
A: Should I take the tablet with food?
A: The tablet can be taken before and after having the meals.
A: Can I take herbal supplements along with this medicine to control my cholesterol?
A: Before starting any herbal supplements during the prescription period of this medicine, kindly consult with your doctor regarding the same.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). Package leaflet: Information for the user. atorvastatin 10 mg film-coated tablets. atorvastatin 20 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin 40 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin 80 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Atorvastatin.
- Lindsey AM, et al. Atorvastatin. 2019.
Other Products from this Brand
- Atocor 10 Mg Tablet 15 S
- Atocor 10 Mg Strip Of 14 Tablets
- Atocor 40 Mg Strip Of 14 Tablets
- Atocor 20 Mg Tablet 15 S
- Atocor 10 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Atocor 5 Mg Tablet
- Atocor 80 Strip Of 14 Tablets
- Atocor 40 Mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Atocor 20 Mg Tablet
- Atocor 10 Bottle Of 30 Tablets
- Atocor 40 Mg Tab 10 S
- Atocor 40 Mg Strip Of 30 Tablets
- Atocor 20 Mg Tab 30 S
- Atocor Activ 10 Mg Tab
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 08:17 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
Upto Rs.600 cashback on Paytm wallet + Flat 25% off on your first medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved