Nimesulide is a pain-relieving medicine. It is used to treat acute pain, inflam
mation and fever. It is used in patients with inflammation & pain associated with joint disorders such as arthritis, soft tissue, ENT, dental pain, post-traumatic and post-operative painful conditions. It belongs to a class of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Nimesulide is available in the form of a tablet, capsule, suspension, injection.
Uses of Nimesulide
- Nimesulide is used to relieve pain, inflammation and swelling in joint disorders such as arthritis.
- It also provides relief from dental pain, minor strain/sprain, pain in the ear, nose and throat, pain after surgery.
- It is also helpful in reducing fever.
Contraindications of Nimesulide
When should one not use Nimesulide
- If you are allergic to nimesulide or similar medicines (NSAIDs)
- If you are suffering from any heart problems such as heart failure
- If you have any history or suffer from any liver or kidney problems
- If you have an ulcer in your stomach or small intestine, history of bleeding in the digestive tract and stomach, history of recurrent ulcers in the stomach.
- If you are suffering from a blood clotting disorder
Side effects of Nimesulide
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Nimesulide
Other General Warnings
- You have severe heart, liver or kidney problems
- You are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding
- You develop an allergic reaction after taking nimesulide
- You have experienced abnormal bleeding issues
- You experience decreased hunger, nausea, vomiting, headache, stomach pain, tiredness and dark urine. Immediately contact your doctor.
- You are suffering from digestive system or sores in the upper portion of the small intestine, disorders like ulceration or bleeding in stomach.
- You consume alcohol regularly
- You are taking pain killers
- You have fever
- Nimesulide should be given to elderly patients with caution.
- It is not recommended for use in patient below 12 years of age.
Mode of Action of Nimesulide
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Nimesulide
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way nimesulide works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat diabetes, blood thinners and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), water pills, methotrexate (an anti-cancer medicine).
Dosage of Nimesulide
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the side effects of taking nimesulide?
Q: Can nimesulide be given to children?
Q: Is nimesulide an antibiotic?
- Nimesulide - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- Nimesulide - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]
- CDSCO - Nimesulide [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 5 October 2021]