Nebivolol belongs to a class of medications called beta-blockers.
Uses of Nebivolol
It is mainly used alone or combined with other medicines to treat high blood pressure. It is also used in the treatment of chronic heart failure.
Contraindications of Nebivolol
When should one not use Nebivolol
- Are allergic to Nebivolol
- Have very low blood pressure
- Suffer from asthma, wheezing or any other breathing difficulties
- Have any history about any heart failures
- Have slow heart rate problems (bradycardia)
- Have severe heart defects (second or third-degree heart blocks), a condition which may be treated by a pacemaker
Side effects of Nebivolol
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Cold fingers and toes
- Numbness and spasm in the fingers which is followed by warmth and pain (Raynaud’s syndrome)
- Disturbed sleep/nightmares
- Serious allergic reactions
- Skin conditions like urticaria, dermatitis, rash
- Serious side effects include worsening of heart failure itself and slowing of heart rate. Hence the dosage has to be adjusted by the physician
- Can worsen diabetes and breathlessness
- Depression and psychosis
Precautions and Warnings of Nebivolol
Can I take Nebivolol during pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended during pregnancy unless your doctor considers it essential to you. Many complications ranging from growth retardation, malformations to fetal death are reported. Hence, your doctor will prescribe it only if its benefit outweighs risk during pregnancy.
Can I take Nebivolol while breastfeeding?
There is no data available regarding the safety of Nebivolol during breastfeeding. Discuss with the doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Nebivolol?
Nebivolol can cause dizziness and tiredness hence caution is advised during driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Nebivolol?
Drinking alcohol with this medicine can decrease your blood pressure drastically.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You get allergic reactions
- You have diabetes, caution is required. Nebivolol may cause low blood sugar levels and also change the body's response to low blood sugar, and you may not experience warning signs of low blood sugar such as increase in heart rate, sweating, hunger pangs, headache, etc.read less
- You have any heart problems or suffer from muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis) talk to the doctor before starting any dose of Nebivolol
- You have kidney or liver problems (including cirrhosis of the liver)
- You have asthma or COPD
Mode of Action of Nebivolol
How Does It Work?
They work by slowing the heart rate and relaxing blood vessels. Due to this, the heart doesn’t have to work hard to pump blood.
Interactions of Nebivolol
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines like Verapamil, when used along with Propranolol, can cause severe fall in blood pressure
- Antihypertensive medicine like Prazosin
- Tuberculosis medicine like Rifampicin
- Blood thinners like Warfarin
- Medicines for pain (Analgesics)
Interactions with food items
No known interactions with food.
Dietary Restrictions of Nebivolol
Your doctor may advise a low sodium diet which should be followed as suggested.
Dosage of Nebivolol
You must strictly avoid overdose as it may lead to fatal consequences. The immediate symptoms of overdose are lethargy, breathing disorders, wheezing (whistling-like sound from the chest), missing heartbeat, excessive slowing of pulses, swelling of the hands, feet, ankles or lower legs, shakiness, dizziness, sweating or confusion, blurred vision, headache, pale color, numbness or tingling of the mouth etc. Immediately seek emergency medical attention.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for a missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop the drug on my own?
A: Don’t suddenly stop taking a beta-blocker without talking to your doctor. If you stop the medication of a beta-blocker suddenly, you can suffer from chest pain, irregular heartbeat or heart attack. Your doctor might tell you to decrease your dosage gradually.
Q: What special precautions should I follow?
A: If you experience any symptoms of dizziness, syncope, vision problems, sexual dysfunction or slowing of heart rate, then immediately report to the doctor so that the doctor can adjust your dose depending on your blood pressure, heart rate, level of the medicine in your serum and other essential factors.
Q: What should I tell my healthcare expert before I start taking Nebivolol?
A: You should give an account of your past or present diseases like liver, kidney or heart-related disorders, diabetes mellitus and thyroid disorders if any. You must inform your doctor about your ongoing prescription and non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbal medicines, etc. Women should share information about pregnancy status, use of oral birth control pills and other vital information like history of pregnancy-induced high blood pressure, if any.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
2 days agoLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved