Meropenem is an antibiotic used in the treatment of severe bacterial infections when other commonly used antibiotics have failed.
Uses of Meropenem
- Infection of covering of brain and spinal cord (meningitis)
- Skin and skin structure infections like cellulitis
- Infection affecting the lungs (pneumonia)
- Complicated urinary tract infections
- Complicated infections of the stomach and intestine
Contraindications of Meropenem
When should one not use Meropenem
- Have allergic reaction to Meropenem, Penicillins or Cephalosporins
- Have kidney disease
Side effects of Meropenem
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Severe allergic reactions - skin rash, itchy skin, swelling of face, vomiting, nausea
- Stomach pain
- Rise in numbers of platelets in the blood
- Red or brown urine
- Sore veins where Meronem is injected
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Black, bloody or tarry stools
- Burning sensation while urinating
Precautions and Warnings of Meropenem
Can I take Meropenem during pregnancy?
It is preferable to avoid this medicine during pregnancy as sufficient data is not avaialble to prove it’s safety.
Can I take Meropenem while breastfeeding?
Small amounts of this medicine may pass into breast milk. Take only if prescribed by your doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Meropenem?
Caution is advised as this medicine can cause muscle movements beyond your control or fits.
Can I consume alcohol with Meropenem?
No known interactions are known to occur.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Brain disease
- Kidney or liver disease
Mode of Action of Meropenem
How Does It Work?
Meropenem prevents the growth of bacteria by attacking their cell wall, which results in the prevention of synthesis of peptidoglycan which provides the cell wall with the strength required for the survival of bacteria in the human body.
Interactions of Meropenem
Interactions with other medicines
Meropenem can cause a severe problem when taken with few medicines at the same time. Inform your physician if you are taking any of like Probenecid (used for gout), Valproic Acid (used for epilepsy), Divalproex Sodium, blood thinners.
Interactions with food items
No specific interactions with food have been reported.
Dosage of Meropenem
The symptoms of overdose can be – headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, etc. If you happen to receive an overdose of the medicine, seek emergency medical care immediately. The effects of an overdose may be severe and need immediate medical attention.
Missed a Dose
Do not have a double dose (two injections at the same time) to make up for a missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Meropenem?
A: Inform the doctor about your detailed medical, surgical and allergy history. Inform your physician if you have any of the conditions like kidney disease, history of head injury, if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Ema.meropenem. [Accessed 31 Jul.2019] (online)
- Mayoclinic.meropenem. [Accessed 31 Jul.2019] (online) https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/meropenem-intravenous-route/precautions/drg-20068940 Lctmed.meropenem. [Accessed 31 Jul.2019] (online) Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Meropenem. [Updated 2018 Oct 31]. Available from:
- Medicineplus.meropenem. [Accessed 31 Jul.2019] (online)
- Drugs.com.meropenem. [Accessed 31 Jul.2019] (online)
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
2 days agoLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Meropenem
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved