Uses of Levofloxacin
Levofloxacin is used in the treatment of different type of bacterial infections such as pneumonia, throat and lung infections, sinus infection, kidney and urinary tract infection, skin and soft tissue infection.
Contraindications of Levofloxacin
When should one not use Levofloxacin
- If you are allergic to Levofloxacin or any other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are allergic to class of medicines called Fluoroquinolone
- If you have history of fits and seizures (epilepsy)
- If you have problems related to tendons (tendonitis)
- If your age is less than 18 years
- If you are pregnant or are planning to have a baby or if you are breastfeeding
Side effects of Levofloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Sleeping disorder
Precautions and Warnings of Levofloxacin
Can I take Levofloxacin during pregnancy?
Do not take Levofloxacin if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby. If you conceive while taking this medicine, stop taking this medicine immediately and inform your doctor.
Can I take Levofloxacin while breastfeeding?
It is not known if Levofloxacin can pass into human breast milk, however fluoroquinolones can pass into human breast milk and harm your child. Hence breast-feeding should be discontinued while you are taking this medicine or ask your doctor for another medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Levofloxacin?
You may experience drowsiness, dizziness and visual disturbances when you are taking Levofloxacin. Thus, you should avoid driving or use any tools or machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Levofloxacin?
You should avoid drinking excessive alcohol while taking Levofloxacin, as alcohol may worsen the side effects like drowsiness or dizziness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have diabetes, history of fits, brain injury or you are an elderly.
- You have heart diseases, history of heart attack, slow heart rate, salt imbalance.
- You have kidney or liver disease.
- You have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (an inherited disorder that affects red blood cells).
- You have myasthenia gravis a condition of muscle weakness.
- This medicine can cause muscle weakness and breathing disorders.
Mode of Action of Levofloxacin
How Does It Work?
Levofloxacin works by preventing bacterial growth by interfering with the action specific enzymes in bacteria like DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV that helps in DNA replication in bacteria.
Interactions of Levofloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines containing steroids, blood thinners like warfarin, theophylline and painkillers such as aspirin, ibruprofen may interact with the action of Levofloxacin.
- Medicines that alter heart rhythm like quinidine, medicines used to treat brain disorders, antibiotics like erythromycin and immunomodulators such as ciclosporin should be used cautiously.
- Medicines containing aluminium, magnesium or sucralfate should be taken with a minimum gap of 2 hours with Levofloxacin.
- Other medicines such as methotrexate, cimentidine, probenicid which can affect your kidney function should be used cautiously.
Interactions with food items
- Avoid taking this medicine with orange juice.
- Dietary supplements that contain iron may affect the way this medicine works, therefore, this medicine should be taken two hours prior or after having any product that contains iron.
Dosage of Levofloxacin
Symptoms of overdose of Levofloxacin includes confusion, dizziness, impairment of consciousness, fits, nausea. Contact your doctor immediately in case of overdose, or rush to the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
For optimum effect, doses of antibiotics should not be missed. If you missed any dose of this medicine take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Levofloxacin?
A: Levofloxacin can interact with other medicines hence inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines especially supplements or herbs. Also inform your doctor if you are stopping any medicine.
Q: What precautions should I take when using Levofloxacin?
- Avoid going out in the sun. Wear a protective covering or use a sunscreen (SPF 30 or 40) to prevent sunburn.
- If you experience pain, swelling of a tendon, or weakness or inability to use one of your joints; rest and refrain from exercise; and discontinue levofloxacin treatment immediately. Report the same to your doctor.read less
- If you experience sudden chest or back or stomach pain, seek medical help immediately.
- Have plenty of water and maintain a healthy diet.
Q: Can I stop taking Levofloxacin if I get relief from disease?
A: No, you should not stop taking medicine in the middle of the treatment, doing so may cause reinfection or bacterial resistance. Antibiotic should be taken for the complete prescribed duration.
Q: Can I take Levofloxacin during pregnancy?
A: No, it is unsafe to take Levofloxacin in pregnancy. If you conceive while taking this medicine, stop taking this medicine immediately and inform your doctor.
Q: I have diarrhoea after taking Levofloxacin, is it a side effect?
A: Yes, you may experience diarrhoea after taking this medicine as it is an antibiotic. It can affect the normal bacterial flora of your gut along with the harmful bacteria. If you have severe diarrhoea, reach out to your doctor.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
2 days agoLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Levofloxacin
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved