Hydrocortisone belongs to a group of medicines called Corticosteroids. It replaces the adrenal hormones in your body, which you may be lacking.
Uses of Hydrocortisone
- It can be used as replacement therapy for children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (which affects the body's natural production of steroids)
- It is also used to treat severe asthma and allergic reactions (in adults and children)
Contraindications of Hydrocortisone
When should one not use Hydrocortisone
- If you are allergic to Hydrocortisone or any of the other ingredients
- If you are suffering from an infection
- If you are going to have any vaccinations
Side effects of Hydrocortisone
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Fits (convulsions)
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Mood swings
- Increased appetite
- Delayed wound healing
- Bleeding ulcers (indicated by stomach pain, bleeding from the anus, black stools or being sick with blood present)
- Muscle weakness
- Thinning of bones which makes fractures more likely (osteoporosis)
- Cataracts (clouding of the lens in the eye)
- Increase in blood sugar
- Diabetes mellitus
Precautions and Warnings of Hydrocortisone
Can I take Hydrocortisone during pregnancy?
It is advised not to take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning for pregnancy. Consult a doctor before taking this medicine during pregnancy.
Can I take Hydrocortisone while breastfeeding?
It can be pass into breast milk. So breastfeeding women should tell their doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Hydrocortisone?
It may make affect your vision or make you feel dizzy. If you have any of these symptoms, you should not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Hydrocortisone?
You must make sure that you don’t consume alcohol when you are taking the medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You feel itching or skin rashes, swelling of the face, lips or throat, difficulty breathing or wheeziness
- You have liver, kidney, thyroid or heart problems
- You have any infections
- You have any thyroid problems or suffering from tuberculosis (TB)
- You have a history of liver, kidney or any heart problems
- You have diabetes or high blood pressure
- You have a condition of osteoporosis (thinning of the bones)
- You are suffering from glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
- You have HIV infection or epilepsy
- You are suffering from stomach ulcers or other digestive problems
- You have a history of chickenpox, shingles or measles
Mode of Action of Hydrocortisone
How Does It Work?
Hydrocortisone is a Corticosteroid or a steroid that reduces the skin inflammation by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which is responsible for inflammation. It can also suppress the immune system.
Interactions of Hydrocortisone
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicine used to assist medical termination of pregnancy (Mifepristone)
- Diuretics (water tablets)
- Medicine used to treat ulcers (Carbenoxolone)
- Medicine used to treat rheumatoid arthritis
- Medicines used to treat asthma and other breathing problems (Theophylline, Bambuterol, Fenoterol, Formoterol, Ritodrine, Salbutamol, Salmeterol and Terbutaline)
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure
- Medicines used to thin the blood like Warfarin
- Medicines used to treat mild to moderate pain such as Ibuprofen, Diclofenac or Naproxen
- Medicines for diabetes (Insulin)
- Medicines used to treat bacterial infections (Erythromycin or Clarithromycin)
- Oral contraceptive pill
- Medicines used to treat HIV infections (Efavirenz or Nevirapine)
- Medicine used to treat glaucoma (Acetazolamide)
- Medicines used to treat fungal infections (Amphotericin, Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Posaconazole or Voriconazole)
- Medicine used for treating depression
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy (Phenytoin, Phenobarbital, Carbamazepine and Primidone)
- Medicines used to treat TB (Rifabutin and Rifampicin)
- Medicine used in the treatment of cancer
- Medicines used to treat heart failure and irregular heartbeat (Digoxin)
Interactions with food items
- Limit the portion of carbohydrates and salt intake
- Start taking potassium supplements
- Consume meals that are high in protein
Dosage of Hydrocortisone
You must ensure that you seek immediate medical attention if you believe that you have overdosed on the medicine. Symptoms of overdosage may include nausea, vomiting, sodium and water retention, and occasional gastrointestinal bleeding.
Missed a Dose
If you missed a dose, try to follow the regular dosage schedule. Do not double the dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use Hydrocortisone on my face?
A: You should never use over-the-counter preparations of Hydrocortisone on your face unless a doctor prescribes them. Most of the Hydrocortisone products are not sold to be used on the face. The skin on the face is very delicate. Long-term use of such steroids that are strong can cause noticeable damage to the face.
Q: Does Hydrocortisone raise blood sugar?
A: If you have diabetes, then yes, Hydrocortisone has a high chance of increasing the blood sugar levels in your body.
Q: How long does it take for Hydrocortisone to work?
A: It should take around 72 hours for the effects to show clearly. It is recommended that you use Hydrocortisone cream for seven days. If you don’t see any results, you may need a stronger formulation of Hydrocortisone or a different steroid. If used for an extended period, Hydrocortisone begins to reduce its effect.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
Emergency use of Covishield and Covaxin in India: Is It A Wise Decision?
After months of waiting for a COVID-19 vaccine, and desperately wanting our old lives to resume, our prayers have been answered. Several COVID vaccines are almost ready and the Government has stated that roll-out will begin soon. In this context, the latest update issued by the government has triggered a country-wide debate. 2 vaccines
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Hydrocortisone
HISONE 5MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By SAMARTH LIFE SCIENCES PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
HISONE 10MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By SAMARTH LIFE SCIENCES PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved