Gatifloxacin belongs to a class of antibiotics known as ‘Fluoroquinolones’ and is available as tablets, injections, and eye drops.
Uses of Gatifloxacin
- It is used in the treatment of bacterial infections of the lungs, sinuses (cavities of the nose), throat, skin and soft tissue infections, and the urinary tract. Soft tissues include muscle, fat, tendons, ligaments, etc.read less
- This medicine is useful in particular sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea
- Gatifloxacin is also used as a part of combination treatment with at least three other medicines to treat tuberculosis
Contraindications of Gatifloxacin
When should one not use Gatifloxacin
- If you are allergic to this medicine or any other ingredient of this medicine
- If you are allergic to quinolones
Side effects of Gatifloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Feeling sick (nausea), headache, reduced hunger, loose motions, stomach pain
- Dizziness and light-headedness, restless or confused
- Sleep problems
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Fast, pounding (palpitations) and irregular heartbeats, fainting
- Fits, tingling, and numbness
- Burning pain, severe loose motions, fever, dark urine
- Yellowing of eyes (jaundice)
- Joint swelling and pains, skin rashes
Precautions and Warnings of Gatifloxacin
Can I take Gatifloxacin during pregnancy?
Enough data is not available. Gatifloxacin has the potential to harm the baby and is recommended to be used during pregnancy only if alternatives are not available.
Can I take Gatifloxacin while breastfeeding?
It is unknown if Gatifloxacin is secreted in breast milk, and it is best advised to avoid this medicine while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Gatifloxacin?
Gatifloxacin can cause dizziness, blurring of your vision for a short time. Be cautious, and do not drive until you feel well.
Can I consume alcohol with Gatifloxacin?
Alcohol can delay your recovery from infections, and it is advised to limit your consumption of alcohol (to occasional drinking) while taking Gatifloxacin.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have a history of abnormal heart rhythms (you or anyone in your family)
- You have any other heart diseases
- You have kidney or liver diseases
- You have low blood potassium levels
- You have seizure disorders
Mode of Action of Gatifloxacin
How Does It Work?
Gatifloxacin works by blocking the action of enzymes that are required for the replication of the bacterial genetic material (DNA) and thus kills the bacteria.
Interactions of Gatifloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to treat heart rhythm disorders (Quinidine, Disopyramide, Bretylium, Procainamide, Amiodarone, Sotalol)
- Antacids (used to reduce stomach acids) or vitamins and minerals containing aluminum, magnesium, or zinc
- Medicines used to treat depression and psychiatric disorders (Amitriptyline, Amoxapine, Imipramine, Nortriptyline, Doxepine, Chlorpromazine, Fluphenazine, Perphenazine, Mesoridazine, Thioridazine)
- Didanosine (used to treat HIV/ AIDS), Cisapride (to cause stomach emptying)
- Erythromycin (antibiotic), blood thinning agents (Warfarin)
- Probenecid (used to treat gout) and pain killers
Interactions with food items
Gatifloxacin does not interact with food and can be taken with or without meals.
Dietary Restrictions of Gatifloxacin
Drink plenty of water.
Dosage of Gatifloxacin
Unintentional overdose may not be harmful. If you experience any symptoms such as slow breathing, decreased activity, tremors or convulsions, etc. consult your doctor.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if your next dose is close. Do not take higher or double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is there anything else I should know before taking Gatifloxacin?
- Inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of abnormal heart rhythm disorders
- Gatifloxacin increases the sensitivity of your skin to light. Hence you are advised to wear protective clothing, keep away from direct sunlight and use sunscreen lotions
- Gatifloxacin is not a medicine for common cold or flu or any other diseases caused by viruses
- Though symptoms may be similar, this medicine has to be used for bacterial infections only, under medical supervision
- This medicine should not be given in children and adolescents less than 18 years of age and caution is advised while using Gatifloxacin in elderly patients
Q: How should I use Gatifloxacin eye drops?
- Wash your hands before using Gatifloxacin eye drops
- Tilt your head so that you are facing the ceiling, pull down the lower eyelid, and squeeze gently
- Your doctor based on your condition will prescribe the number of drops
- After pressing the droplet, close the eye with your finger. Apply gentle pressure for 1-2 minutes
- Then you can remove your finger and open the eye
- Do not wear contact lenses, unless advised by your doctor
- This medicine should not be given to children aged less than one year
- Gatifloxacin, Drugs.com [Accessed on 14 Sep, 2019].
- Webmd gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019] (Online)
- Mayoclinic gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Gatifloxacin. [Updated 2018 Oct 31].
- Medicineplus. gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Gatifloxacin
ZYMAXID 0.5% EYE DROPS 2.5ML
By ALLERGAN INDIA PVT LTD
2.5ml Eye Drop in Bottle
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved