Dydrogesterone is a progestogen (a synthetic form of progesterone hormone) used to treat progesterone deficiency (irregular periods, etc.) and other symptoms due to increased activity of estrogen. It belongs to the ‘hormonal replacement therapy’ group of medicines.
Uses of Dydrogesterone
- To treat symptoms due to high levels of estrogen hormone due to estrogen supplements in conditions such as natural or induced menopause
- An increase in the levels of estrogen can cause thickness of lining of the uterus (endometriosis), vaginal bleeding, heavy breasts, weight gain, mood swings, etc. (a condition called ‘estrogen dominance’)read less
Contraindications of Dydrogesterone
When should one not use Dydrogesterone
- Allergy to Dydrogesterone or any of its components
- Any progesterone related cancers (meningioma)
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Prevention of thickening of uterus lining (endometriosis)
Side effects of Dydrogesterone
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Migraines or headache, nausea (feeling sick)
- Menstrual disorders (absent, painful or irregular periods, excess bleeding), breast pain and tenderness (sensitive to touch)
- Depression, feeling dizzy, vomiting, liver problems (jaundice (yellow eyes), weakness, stomach pain, generalized discomfort), allergic skin reactions (rashes, itching, redness), weight gain
- Severe allergic reactions causing swelling of face or throat causing difficulty to breathe and swallow, with or without rashes, itching, skin blisters and peeling
Precautions and Warnings of Dydrogesterone
Can I take Dydrogesterone during pregnancy?
Dydrogesterone is commonly used during pregnancy. The risk is low, but this medicine should be used in pregnancy only if necessary. High doses can increase the risk.
Can I take Dydrogesterone while breastfeeding?
Small amounts of Dydrogesterone are secreted in breast milk. Due to non-availability of any conclusive data, this medicine should be avoided by breastfeeding women.
Can I drive if I have consumed Dydrogesterone?
Dydrogesterone is not known to affect the ability to drive. But occasionally, side effects such as dizziness or sleepiness, often in the first few hours after taking the medicine may cause problems. Hence, caution is advised.
Can I consume alcohol with Dydrogesterone?
Alcohol decreases progesterone levels, delays healing, and might interfere with treatment. Therefore, it is best advised to stay away from alcohol while using Dydrogesterone.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
You are suffering from depression, porphyria (an inherited blood cell disorder causing purple skin patches and nerve damage), and any liver problems, inform the doctor before starting the treatment or if diagnosed later.
Mode of Action of Dydrogesterone
How Does It Work?
Dydrogesterone is a synthetic form naturally occurring progesterone hormone. Its primary function is to act on the uterus, making it healthy and regularize menstrual cycles.
Interactions of Dydrogesterone
Interactions with other medicines
- Antiseizure medications (Carbamazepine, Phenobarbital, Phenytoin)
- Medicines used to treat infections (Rifampicin, Rifabutin, Nevirapine, Efavirenz)
- Herbal medicines – to treat depression, anxiety (St. John’s wort valerian root, gingko biloba), sage root (blood purifier)
Interactions with food items
Dydrogesterone can be taken with or without food but it is preferred to take on an empty stomach.
Dietary Restrictions of Dydrogesterone
Low salt diet is preferable.
Dosage of Dydrogesterone
Unintentional overdose may not be harmful. Overdose of Dydrogesterone will cause headache, breast pain, menstrual irregularities, sickness (nausea), weight gain, swelling, allergic reactions (rashes, itching, etc.) and depression. If you experience any such symptoms, seek medical attention.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. Skip the missed dose if you remember too late, but do not take extra medicine or double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is progesterone? What are its uses?
- Progesterone is a female hormone secreted mainly by the ovaries and placenta (the organ that nourishes the fetus in mother’s womb) and plays a role in regulating menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and development of unborn babiesread less
- The ovaries secrete progesterone after ovulation (release of eggs from the ovary), which is around 10-14 days before your next period. After releasing from the ovaries, this hormone mainly acts on the lining of the uterus and prepares it for pregnancy or making it capable for implantation of the fertilized eggread less
- Low levels of progesterone cause irregular, painful and prolonged bleeding, due to poor maintenance of the lining of the uterus
- Progesterone hormone therapy (with Dydrogesterone) will control these symptoms
- Progesterone is also a part of birth control pills. Usually, low progesterone levels are an indication for the ovary to release the egg (or ovulation). Taking this hormone tablet will maintain required levels of progesterone, causing the ovary not to release the eggs, thus preventing fertilizationread less
Q: What else should I know before starting Dydrogesterone?
- Do not self-medicate with this medicine. It is safe to use Dydrogesterone under medical supervision
- This medicine is used only if the symptoms are affecting the quality of life (not just for the presence of symptoms)
- A complete personal and family history of the patient, breast examination is necessary before starting the treatment. Women should inform the doctor if they notice any breast changes
- Periodic check-ups at regular intervals are recommended. Any break-through bleeding or spotting should be promptly reported to the doctor
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Dydrogesterone
DUPHASTON 10MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By ABBOTT INDIA LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved