Dalteparin is low molecular weight heparin anticoagulant that prevents clotting of blood.
Uses of Dalteparin
- Unstable coronary artery (blood vessels to the heart) disease
- Venous thromboembolism (a condition where blood clots develop in the legs)
- Dalteparin prevents blood clots from being formed in the tubes of the equipment used during haemodialysis or haemofiltration
Contraindications of Dalteparin
When should one not use Dalteparin
- Do not take this medicine if you have:
- Allergy to Dalteparin or any ingredient of this medicine
- Stomach ulcer
- An injury or bleeding in the brain or recent surgery of the brain or eyes
- A liver disease which may cause an increased risk of bleeding
- Low blood platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- Swelling or infection in the lining of heart valves or heart
Side effects of Dalteparin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Itching, hives, and rash
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Bleeding from nose or while passing stools or urine, while coughing, etc.
- Easy bruising
- Fast heartbeats
- Headache, weakness, confusion
- Increased potassium level
- Hair loss (alopecia)
- Bleeding from any site like brain, stomach
Precautions and Warnings of Dalteparin
Can I take Dalteparin during pregnancy?
This medicine should be used only if needed, consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Can I take Dalteparin while breastfeeding?
A small amount of this medicine passes into breast milk. There are no adverse effects noted for using Dalteparin during breastfeeding in the prescribed dose. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Dalteparin?
There is no influence on the ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Dalteparin?
No information is available on interactions of Dalteparin when taken with alcohol, consult your doctor or pharmacist for details.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any condition which results in bleeding e.g., bleeding after an operation or trauma or if you have experience stroke caused by bleeding
- Severe liver or kidney disease
- Abnormal or low numbers of platelets (clotting cells)
- Eye disease caused by blood pressure or diabetes
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- If you have a known history of a large amount of potassium in your blood or have a low blood pH
- Your doctor will monitor your blood parameters regularly before and during treatment
- If you are going to have or ever had an operation for inserting an artificial heart valve
- If you need any other injections
- History of any surgery in the past 6 months
Mode of Action of Dalteparin
How Does It Work?
This medicine acts as a blood thinner. It stops the existing blood clots from increasing in size and also reduces the formation of new clots in the blood. It thus prevents the reason for development of diseases like angina, thromboembolism, and deep vein thrombosis.
Interactions of Dalteparin
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to thin your blood (e.g., Aspirin, Dipyridamole, Glycoprotein Receptor Antagonists and Warfarin)
- Medicines called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) used to reduce pain and inflammation (e.g., Indomethacin)
- Some medicines for gout, (e.g., Sulfinpyrazone and Probenecid)
- Ethacrynic Acid (a water retention tablet (Diuretic))
- You have given solution to increase the blood volume (e.g., Dextrans)
- Medicines known as Cytostatics (used in cancer treatment)
- Thrombolytic medications for treating heart attack (e.g., TPA Tissue Plasminogen Activator)
- Anti-allergic medicines (e.g., Antihistamines)
- Medicines for heart problems (e.g., Digoxin or Digitoxin)
- Antibiotics like Tetracyclines which are used to treat bacterial infections
- Medicines used to treat angina (Intravenous Nitroglycerine)
- Antibiotics like high dose penicillin that are used to treat bacterial infections
- Antimalarial medicines (e.g., Quinine)
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Dalteparin when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Dalteparin
Drink plenty of liquid to prevent dehydration.
Dosage of Dalteparin
If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, kindly seek emergency medical care immediately. The symptoms of overdose can be – excessive bleeding through any of the external orifice or internal bleeding in vital organs. The effects of an overdose may be lethal and need immediate medical attention.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
- Ema. Dalteparin [Accessed 14 Sept. 2019] (online):
- CDSCO. Dalteparin. [Accessed 14 Sept. 2019] (online):
- Medscape. Dalteparin [Accessed 14 Sept. 2019] (online):
- WebMD. Dalteparin [Accessed 14 Sept. 2019] (online):
- Lactmed.Dalteparin.[Accessed 14 Sept.2019](online): Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Dalteparin. [Updated 2018 Oct 31]. Available from:
- Daily med. Dalteparin. [Accessed 23 aug.2019](online):
- Women research Dalteparin. [Accessed 23 aug.2019](online):
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved