Benidipine is a calcium channel blocker. Large vessel stiffness is one of the leading causes of elevated blood pressure in individuals. As a result, Benidipine is used to decrease blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels. Benidipine is also used to alter the heart rate, which will reduce chest pain by allowing more blood to flow to the heart muscle.
Uses of Benidipine
- Management of High blood pressure levels in the body
- Chest pain caused by coronary artery disease, known as angina pectoris
- Treatment of diabetic kidney disease with hypertension
Contraindications of Benidipine
When should one not use Benidipine
- Allergies to compounds of Benidipine
- Liver impairment: Make appropriate adjustments in dosage or find alternatives if suffering from liver-related issues
- Hypotension: May cause a lowering of blood pressure for those already suffering from low blood pressure
Side effects of Benidipine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Orthostatic hypotension (a sudden decrease in systolic or diastolic blood pressure on standing after a prolonged sitting position)
- Renal impairment
- Increased potassium in blood
Precautions and Warnings of Benidipine
Can I take Benidipine during pregnancy?
The medication is not recommendable for use in pregnant women, except in some cases where it is crucial. Discuss the risks and benefits with the doctor before consumption.
Can I take Benidipine while breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding women must not consume Benidipine since it may affect the infant.
Can I drive if I have consumed Benidipine?
In specific individuals, Benidipine may cause dizziness. Driving while suffering from such side effects must be avoided.
Can I consume alcohol with Benidipine?
Consuming alcohol while taking this medication may lead to certain unwanted side effects such as light-headedness, dizziness, and drowsiness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from severe renal impairment
- Go through the medications you are currently taking with your doctor before having this medicine
- Follow your doctor’s directions to take the medicine
- Inform your doctor about any pre-existing medical conditions before taking the medicine
- Avoid excessive dosage, and take exactly as much as your doctor has recommended
Mode of Action of Benidipine
How Does It Work?
It is a long-acting calcium channel blocker class of medicine which are used to treat hypertension. By blocking the influx of Ca ions through voltage-gated L-type Ca channels to the peripheral vascular smooth muscle cells, coronary smooth muscle cells and the myocardial cells causes dilatation of vascular endothelium, decrease peripheral resistance and reduce myocardial oxygen demand. It markedly relax arterioles and milder effects on veins, decrease afterload, and increase cardiac index.
Interactions of Benidipine
Interactions with other medicines
- Beta-blockers: Potentiate the antihypertensive effect of Benidipine
- Diuretics: Potentiate the antihypertensive effect of Benidipine
- Digoxin: It can increase the serum concentration of Digoxin
- Cimetidine: Inhibit the metabolism of Benidipine
Interactions with food items
- Taking this medicine with grapefruit juice may decrease the blood pressure excessively
- Taking this medicine with ginseng increases blood pressure and reduces the effect of benidipine
Dietary Restrictions of Benidipine
Grapefruit is not recommended to consume while taking Benidipine. It may lead to more severe side effects such as headache, dizziness, and swelling.
Dosage of Benidipine
Overdosing on Benidipine may have severe health consequences. Consuming more of the medication or overdosing will not help with faster recovery. It may lead to worsening of the side effects such as dizziness and fatigue.
Missed a Dose
- If you have missed a dose, and it is time for the next dose, skip the missed one
- Do not overdose to make up for the missed dose
- Exercise caution while consuming the medication, and visit a doctor immediately in case of an overdose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Benidipine available as a generic medicine?
A: Yes, Benidipine is the form of the generic medicine that is available. It is also available under several other brand names.
Q: How long does it take for the onset of action?
A: Typically, you will be able to see the medicine in effect within an hour of consumption. It has been shown to reach a maximum concentration within 2 hours from the time you consumed Benidipine.
Q: Can Benidipine be consumed by individuals suffering from kidney related issues?
A: It is necessary to be cautious for those suffering from renal impairment.
Q: Which organ is capable of metabolizing Benidipine?
A: The liver almost entirely metabolizes Benidipine. Benidipine can primarily be distributed to the tissues in the kidneys, plasma and liver.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
19 Nov 2020Know How Antibiotics Can Mess With Your Gut And Cause Acidity!
Antibiotics kill bacteria, that’s their job after all. It is how they have saved millions of lives over the centuries. However, killing the harmful bacteria responsible for ...
12 Nov 2020Heartburn And Acidity – The Downside And Side Effects Of Painkillers!
Are you amongst those who pop painkillers quite often? Well, you may not be aware, but painkillers can end up causing heartburn and damage to your stomach. Heartburn and a...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Benidipine
BENITOWA 4MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By AKUMENTIS HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
BENITOWA 8MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By AKUMENTIS HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved