Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
Zolsoma 5mg Tablet Description
Zolsoma 5 mg Tablet is a prescription medicine used in the treatment of insomnia. It helps to synchronize the body’s biological day-night rhythm known as circadian rhythm. Insomnia is a sleep disorde
r that causes difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep. Zolsoma 5 mg Tablet is a combination medicine that contains zolpidem and melatonin as the active ingredient. It is a sedative-hypnotic combination of medicine. Zolpidem works by increasing the activity chemical messenger in the brain called Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which act as a natural nerve-calming agent, thereby inducing sleep. Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the brain in response to darkness that helps to maintain the normal sleep cycle. Thus, these two-combination of medicine helps to fall asleep and treat insomnia. Zolsoma 5 mg Tablet should be taken as advised by your doctor. There are many side effects associated with this medicine, so it is advised to take it after the doctor’s consultation and it must be carefully monitored. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without consulting your doctor, as it can cause clinical worsening of your condition or may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
Uses of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
- As per CDSCO-
- Treatment of Insomnia
Contraindications of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to any component of the Zolsoma Tablet
- If you are experiencing sudden mood changes or suicidal ideation
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a disease that causes muscle weakness)
- If you have liver impairment
- If you have kidney problems
- If you have any history of drug or alcohol addiction
- If you have any mental health problems
- If you have respiratory problems like sleep apnea
Side effects of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
- Dry mouth
Precautions and Warnings of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You have any allergic reactions after taking Zolsoma Tablet.
- You have any suicidal ideation or self-harming thoughts
- You experience any severe side effects
- Your symptoms do not improve or there is worsening of your condition
- You have a history of epilepsy or fits and are taking antiepileptic medication
- You have withdrawal symptoms like agitation, nausea, tremor, sweating and confusion
Mode of Action of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
- Take Zolsoma Tablet exactly as prescribed by the doctor
- Take this medication on a regular schedule preferably at the same time every day
- Take the Tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break/crush the tablet or chew this medicine
- You can take the Zolsoma Tablet before or after consuming food or as prescribed by your doctor
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage as it can lead to overdose
- Do not stop using it abruptly, as it may lead to withdrawal symptoms
- Do not take if the package has been broken or opened
Interactions of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal products, vitamins and nutritional supplements, you are consuming or plan to take as there is a chance of drug interaction. Many medicines can interact with Zolsoma Tablet, making it less effective or increasing side effects. This includes-...
- Interaction with antidepressants or mood-elevating medicines like fluoxetine and desipramine can cause increased side effects
- Interaction with antihistamines (allergy medicines), opioid painkillers, sleeping pills, etc, can increase drowsiness and fatigue
- Interaction with antifungal medications like itraconazole and ketoconazole can reduce the effects of it.
Interactions with food items
- You should avoid caffeine-containing drinks like cola, tea, coffee etc, especially in the evening
Storage and disposal of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
Dosage of Zolsoma 5mg Tablet
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I get addicted to Zolsoma Tablet?
Q: Can I Stop taking the Zolsoma Tablet on my own after the desired effect?
Q: Does taking Zolsoma Tablet more than the recommended dose will resolve my symptoms quickly?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from:
- Drugs H. Zolpidem: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2022 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from
- [Internet]. Rxlist.com. 2022 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from:
- [Internet]. Pennmedicine.org. 2022 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from:
- Zolpidem: a sleeping pill used to treat insomnia [Internet]. nhs.uk. 2022 [cited 21 February 2022]. Available from: