Vizep 10mg Tablet
Vizep 10 MG Description
Vizep 10mg Tablet contains chlordiazepoxide as its active ingredient. It is included in the group of medicines known as sedative-hypnotics. Chlordiazepoxide belongs to the group of benzodiazepines an
d acts by regulating chemicals in the brain in order to reduce brain activity. It is primarily used in the treatment of psychiatric ailments like anxiety disorders, symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and in some cases of sleep disorders. Anxiety disorders present themselves as deep, strong and sustained feelings of worry, fear and indecisiveness in daily life activities, which hampers a person's social and mental progress. If left untreated, it may culminate into depression. When stopping alcohol after years of consumption in more than normal quantities, alcohol withdrawal symptoms include increased sweating, mood changes, change in dietary habits, tremors and increased heart rate. Vizep 10mg Tablet carries the risk of developing dependence on prolonged use and may cause withdrawal symptoms like confused thinking, uncontrolled muscle tremors and eye movements. This medication also has the risk of habit formation over prolonged use. Therefore, regular monitoring of patients, especially those with a known history of substance abuse, is a must.
|You Save||₹3.27 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||anxiety disorders, sleep disorders, alcohol withdrawal.|
|Side effects||nausea, dizziness, uncontrolled muscle tremors, loss of eye coordination.|
Uses of Vizep 10 MG
- Vizep 10mg Tablet is used in,
- Treatment of severe cases of various anxiety disorders
- Treatment of sleep disorders like insomnia
- Treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms
Contraindications of Vizep 10 MG
- If you have an allergy to chlordiazepoxide, other benzodiazepines, or inactive ingredients of Vizep Tablets.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (condition causing muscle tremors).
- If you consume alcohol or abuse substances in large quantities.
- If you have uncoordinated muscle movements and eye movements.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma( increased eye pressure due to blockage of drainage ducts due to eye defects).
- If you have any liver disorders
- If you have breathing difficulties during sleep.
Side effects of Vizep 10 MG
- Confused thoughts
- Uncontrolled muscle tremors
- Liver problems
- Skin rash
- Swelling caused by fluid retention
- Can cause yellow discolouration of skin or eyes
- Animal studies have shown sperm deformities in use after 2-3 months.
Precautions and Warnings of Vizep 10 MG
Other General Warnings
- You experience any allergy after taking Vizep 10mg Tablets like rashes, hives or swelling on the face.
- You want to discontinue or alter the dose of VIzep 10mg Tablets.
- You experience side effects that are persistent, too severe and disrupt your everyday life and do not seem to go away.
- You experience other medical issues after taking the Vizep 10mg Tablet.
- Let your dentist know you are taking a Vizep 10 mg tablet before any major dental procedure.
- Vizep 10mg Tablets should not be administered to children below 6 years of age and adults above 65 years of age until absolutely necessary.
Mode of Action of Vizep 10 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Vizep 10 MG
- Vizep 10mg Tablet is taken orally with/without food as prescribed by your doctor after evaluating your condition. Do not chew or crush it.
- For optimal pharmacological effects, take Vizep Tabs at the same time every day.
- Do not change the dose without consultation with your physician. Do not stop taking Vizep 10mg tablets suddenly as it may cause withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, headaches, and sleep issues.
- Vizep 10mg tablet carries the risk of building dependency on the medicine. Therefore, a regular follow up with your physician is a must.
Interactions of Vizep 10 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Vizep 10mg Tablet should not be given along with/ given with caution the following medicines:
- Dose adjustment will be required with certain medicines which reduce or increase the blood levels of Vizep 10 mg Tablets.
- Antacids - reduces the rate of absorption of Vizep 10mg Tablet
- Fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, nefazodone (antidepressants) - increases dizziness and muscle tremors.
- Cimetidine (antiallergics) difficulty in coordination and increased confusion.
- Digoxin (heart medication) can severely depress heart rate.
- Ketoconazole(antifungal) - increases levels of chlordiazepoxide.
- Levodopa( high blood pressure medication) - can increase the risk of breathing issues, sleepiness and coma if not treated.
- Antiepileptics - increases the risk of respiratory and heart depression causing fainting.
- Parkinson's medications - can increase side effects like muscle tremors and seizures.
- Metoprolol(blood pressure medicine) - can decrease blood pressure to the point of fainting or loss of consciousness
- Rifampicin(antibiotics) - will decrease the efficacy of Vizep 10mg Tablets.
- Sedatives will increase respiratory symptoms like difficulty in breathing
- Sodium valproate(antiepileptic) - increases sedation to harmful levels.
Interactions with food items
- Vizep 10mg Tablet contains chlordiazepoxide which is found to have reverse reactions with caffeine. Therefore, caffeine-containing food and beverages like tea, coffee, chocolates should be taken with caution while taking this medication. ...
- Alcohol consumption is contraindicated while on this medication as it may increase the risk of severe side effects like dizziness, confused thoughts, nausea, rashes on the skin.
Storage and disposal of Vizep 10 MG
Dosage of Vizep 10 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Divya Rohra
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine